Forester XT vs. RSX Type S

This is a discussion on Forester XT vs. RSX Type S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Got behind a RSX Type S who was flying. I wanted to see if the family wagon could keep up. ...

str

Forester XT vs. RSX Type S

Got behind a RSX Type S who was flying. I wanted to see if the family wagon could keep up. We were doing about 60mph when i heard him floor it, after the lane opened up. His exhaust was very loud, not sure of any other mods. I was about a car length and a half back when I gunned it in third gear. I pulled really hard at first, nearly hitting his bumper. His VTEC kicked in and he started to gain a little bit. I think I would have passed him or at least got even if I had an open lane. I had to brake again when I shifted into fourth so I didn't rear end him. I rode him bumper up to about 90mph or so and then we slowed down. He was able to hang from a roll once the VTEC kicked in ( I could hear it). Definely had exhaust and had some apperance work, not sure of any other mods. Would have liked to go from a stop. He lives near me so I'm sure I'll see him again.
    2004 Black Forester XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Forester XT vs. RSX Type S

Originally posted by str
    Got behind a RSX Type S who was flying. I wanted to see if the family wagon could keep up. We were doing about 60mph when i heard him floor it, after the lane opened up. His exhaust was very loud, not sure of any other mods. I was about a car length and a half back when I gunned it in third gear. I pulled really hard at first, nearly hitting his bumper. His VTEC kicked in and he started to gain a little bit. I think I would have passed him or at least got even if I had an open lane. I had to brake again when I shifted into fourth so I didn't rear end him. I rode him bumper up to about 90mph or so and then we slowed down. He was able to hang from a roll once the VTEC kicked in ( I could hear it). Definely had exhaust and had some apperance work, not sure of any other mods. Would have liked to go from a stop. He lives near me so I'm sure I'll see him again.
    From a stop, you would have owned him unless he had a lot of bolt-ons. Judging from what happened in this race from a roll, he did not. So you would have owned him badly.

As far as getting into vtec..I'm confused. AT 60mph, he should have been in vtec immediately...you just must have missed the initial changeover. So its not like vtec magically kicked in

Anyway, exhausts do nothing for the RSX-S...so I would assume that given ample room you would have walked him from a roll as well because I'm sure the XT's trap higher than 94mph (which is what most stock RSX's trap at I believe). Go find one with Hondata, they'll at least be able to give you a challenge.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

You would have owned him from a stop regardless of mods. Even if he had a turbo kit, he would not be able to outlaunch you.

XTs only trap low 90s in the quarter, so he would have started to pull on you right when the race shut down. The RSX Type S has a 6 speed manual and is geared nicely for highway runs.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

str
    I'm not sure exactly when the VTEC kicks in, I Know it is at higher rpm's. I know I heard ir get louder and the car appeared to start to pull harder as the gear sounded t wind out. Anyway, it was still pretty quick and we had some fun.
    2004 Black Forester XT

He may not have down shifted because of your none threatening XT and figured he could out accelerate you in the higher gear. Way to suprise him.

Originally posted by madmmt
    He may not have down shifted because of your none threatening XT and figured he could out accelerate you in the higher gear. Way to suprise him.
    Actually...I have a skewed perspective about this downshifting thing. Since I have a Hondata reflashed ECU my rev limiter is higher than a stock one, so I might have downshifted to 2nd around 60mph, but a stock one could not so this makes sense.

Regardless, even if he had downshifted he would have lost. I Hope no one thinks I was implying otherwise because I certainly was not. What I was discussing is the whole "vtec" thing and what he heard. That's all...

And yea, that XT is the perfect sleeper. I'm glad I know better
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

str
    My buddy has a decked out 99 Prelude, real sweet ride. He has lots of modifications, exhaust, headers, rims, suspension, name it. It's as slow as a dog untill about 5500 rpms and then the VTEC kicks in and it starts to pull. It's not much off the line but once it gets going its pretty fast. Plus, the suspension upgrades he has on this thing are killer. It is one of the best handleing cars i have ridden in. You can definetly hear when the VTEC kicks in, it gets much louder and immedietly starts to pull. Similar to the sound I heard the RSX make.
    2004 Black Forester XT