Challenged by a Mustang GT

This is a discussion on Challenged by a Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i'm driving to work this afternoon, southbound on Hwy. 246, a little north of the I680 merge. Me, cruising at ...

Challenged by a Mustang GT

i'm driving to work this afternoon, southbound on Hwy. 246, a little north of the I680 merge. Me, cruising at 80mph in the fast lane, came up on a silver Mustang GT in the middle lane, a young guy driving, with his buddy in the passenger street. He looks at me, drops back a little and in the mirror I can see them checking out my stuff. I suspected he was getting ready to try something, checked my six, looking good - no cops. Looked up the road, not so good, traffic about a quarter mile ahead though we had a clear run for a little while.

So when he did the inevitable, pulled even with me, looked over and then floored it - here's the anticlimax, I let him go.
    Fellas, you don't know how tempted I was, but starting the roll-on at 80mph and then flying up behind these other people at about 110 mph didn't seem like a smart thing to do so I didn't race him.

Funny thing, i know he was on it hard, cause I heard his pipes when he took off and saw the black smoke coming from his duals, but he wasn't really pulling away that quick. I suspect that Mustang was strictly stock and would I love to have a go with this guy under different circumstances or on a windy country road ? You bet.
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

I give you mucho thumbs up for the smart move on not participating.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Smart.

A couple of months back I traded rides with a local Mustang GT owner (new gen) who sent me a PM and asked if I would take him for a drive. Turned out to be a cool guy. Anyway, I was extremely underwhelmed by his GT (stock). I would have to say that it felt slower than a stock WRX. Just my observation. It also handled like a boat.

Look and sounded very nice though, and had a really sweet short-shifter.

-Pace

Originally posted by pace
    A couple of months back I traded rides with a local Mustang GT owner (new gen) who sent me a PM and asked if I would take him for a drive. Turned out to be a cool guy. Anyway, I was extremely underwhelmed by his GT (stock). I would have to say that it felt slower than a stock WRX. Just my observation. It also handled like a boat.

Look and sounded very nice though, and had a really sweet short-shifter.

-Pace
    I have a friend and fan of fast cars here at work. Another co-worker has a Mustang GT convertible. Sounds awesome and looks awesome, but it's uncomfortable and slow.

I took my friend for a ride in my car and he was like, "Wow, this this is so fast!" I've even raced the Mustang dude before. No contest.

BTW, smart move on not racing in traffic. Accidents suck.

-Jim