My wagon vs GTO

This is a discussion on My wagon vs GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My brother came to visit last week. He has one of the new GTO's (auto ). Decided to have a ...

My wagon vs GTO

My brother came to visit last week. He has one of the new GTO's (auto ). Decided to have a lil fun. I have a wagon with up-pipe and catless 3" TBE. We ran a few times- all with the same result: I'd take him hard out of the hole, and thru about 60-ish. Then, right after shifting to 3rd, he'd pass me like I was towing a house. Switched cars- same result. I reckon he'd have caught me sooner if his car was an M6. Just have to keep the races short
    -Ray

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Same problem with all the LS1's. Kill them to about 65 and then your reeled in! But hey, it's nothing that a little bigger "snail", injectors, FMIC and chip couldn't take care of!
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

WRX
    I pulled on one from about a 35mph roll. But we didn't race very long, because there was traffic. I'm sure he would've roasted me at higher speeds.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

at almost the same price as a Cobra, why get the GTO?

just get the cobra.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by MengHang
    at almost the same price as a Cobra, why get the GTO?

just get the cobra.
    For one thing the GTO definitely has a nicer interior IMO. I think the GTO handles better to.... not 100% sure though.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

The interior of the GTO is crap and the car will not out handle a Cobra. The Cobra will eat the GTO alive in a road course. Car and Driver did a review of the GTO and roosted it. Said it was outdated and handled like a pig. Plane and simple C&D said that is was not worth the 33k for it. They recomended the Cobra. They said that it was the worst replacement for the F-body. The F-body was faster and haddled better, and cost less. GM missed the mark with that pice of imported crap.

J-H
    I've driven the GTO, never a Cobra, but I would not think about this for a sec. Cobra all the way.

BTW, the auto and the M6 run pretty much the same times. I am guessing they are 0.1 seconds apart form each other (0-60 and 1/4).

JH

J-H
    I've driven the GTO, never a Cobra, but I would not think about this for a sec. Cobra all the way.

BTW, the auto and the M6 run pretty much the same times. I am guessing they are 0.1 seconds apart form each other (0-60 and 1/4).

JH

Id have thought the M6 would be a good bit quicker; certainly was the case for the F-body.
    I would submit that the GTO and Cobra are aimed at different markets; having driven both, there is no doubt the Cobra is faster and handles better. But, objectively, the GTO was far more comfortable, and had a usable back seat (this matters to some of us). Subjectively, the GTO seemed like it was somewhat better built.
    I'm not about to get into a lengthy and subjective "Cobra vs GTO" arguement- I dont own either, and nor do I get Xmas cards from either Ford or GM; I was just noting that at this particular place and time, the GTO was substantially faster that a lightly modded WRX.
    -Ray