Utec'ed STi vs G35

This is a discussion on Utec'ed STi vs G35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Coming home from work a young guy in a G35 came flying up from behind and got right on my ...

Utec'ed STi vs G35

Coming home from work a young guy in a G35 came flying up from behind and got right on my bumper. I instantly knew he wanted to play. We were both turning onto the same street. So I slowly made the turn and waited for him. I was just crawling along at 20mph or so in 2nd gear waiting for him.
    He takes the turn and starts moving quickly up towards me. So I floor the gas and he gets just about even with me (he definately had an advantage with the momentum). Well through 2nd gear I pulled about 1 car on him. I shift into 3rd gear and pulled about 1 more car. Then I shift into 4th gear and pulled about 1 more car and let off at about 80 mph or so. He was a good 3 cars back. Its always a little hard to tell exactly how far, but there was a nice distance between us.

Then I slow down to about 40mph to make my turn off. He then gets besides me and floors it and speeds up the street? ( I guess his car is now faster than it was 5 seconds earlier. I really don't understand why people do that after getting smoked? I guess it makes them feel better as if they would have won the next race.

I also had a race a little earlier against a Mini Cooper S. That encounter was pretty funny. He gave it 100% . Nothing like seeing a 20 something year old male driving a little mini trying as hard as he can to beat an STi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like that G35 was not stock, since you only pulled 3 cars on him. Especially considering you should trap much higher than a stock G35, unless the whole momentum thing screwed everything up .

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

the scenario sounds exactly like what happened to me when i demolished a boxter that wanted to race

nice kill. every 350z and g35c that i see i want to race, but then they just look the other way. oh well.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Originally posted by BobbyD
    Sounds like that G35 was not stock, since you only pulled 3 cars on him. Especially considering you should trap much higher than a stock G35, unless the whole momentum thing screwed everything up .

-BobbyD
    Yes, I,m probably trapping in the 107mph range now with my Utec. My car is noticeably faster than before.
    But the race really didn't last that long and he got the jump on me. If my STi was stock he probably would have pulled ahead of me (with his momentum) and I would have been lucky to reel him in in such a short distance.

Back when my STi was stock I raced a guy with a G35 Coupe from about 40mph - 90mph and it was a very close race. They are pretty fast from a roll.

Car and Driver got 14.2 @ 100 mph from a G35 Coupe. That 100mph trap speed is whats important racing from a roll. I've seem many Video's of stock STi's running basically dead even with 350z from a roll. G35's are extremely close in speed to a 350z.

Originally posted by happasaiyan
    the scenario sounds exactly like what happened to me when i demolished a boxter that wanted to race

nice kill. every 350z and g35c that i see i want to race, but then they just look the other way. oh well.

I've been getting a lot of that from 350z's. There's a guy a few houses down my street with a 350z. He has an aftermarket exhaust and maybe more. I'm just hoping I get a chance to race him. It seems like everytime I'm outside he gets in his car and cruises by my house. He got right on my bumper turning into the neighborhood a while back. That got me ready to go. They always want to race when a race isn't possible. Then out on an empty street they get in the slow lane and back off.

My neighbor directly across the street just bought a G35. But he is about 65 years old so I don't see a race anytime soon.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX

My neighbor directly across the street just bought a G35. But he is about 65 years old so I don't see a race anytime soon.
    Screw that man. Go over... knock on his door... and ask him if he wants a title shot.
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

don't mean to stray off topic, but how ya diggin' the STI UTEC?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    don't mean to stray off topic, but how ya diggin' the STI UTEC?

I'm running the stage 2 Base map right now. Definate power increase. Its pretty noticeable. Right now I running about 15.5 - 16.0 psi max boost in 5th gear.
    My only complaint is the car is a little jumpy under very slight acceleration. But when you mash the gas down the car pulls extremely hard and smooth.
    Sometime in the future I hope to get my car dyno tuned. Until then I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

With good weather conditions (cool and dry), the car should be good for a 12.5 - 12.6 @ 107-108 mph.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SGOSWRX

With good weather conditions (cool and dry), the car should be good for a 12.5 - 12.6 @ 107-108 mph.
    At least that!!

Good kill BTW. Love beatin' up on the sport coupes!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by happasaiyan

yea not many want to run. i just found someone that wants to run me in his 350z w/ intake tomorrow. maybe ill post the result of that if it happens

frederick
    Hks up/dp/ebc/ti exh; TeIN springs:
    kartboy ss; blitz bov; volk gt-c

...n we're just getting started

13.4@99mph