Just rode in an M3... wow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just rode in an M3... wow within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry, no race but I just had to share my thoughts... Besides being such a pimp looking car, this thing ...

Just rode in an M3... wow

Sorry, no race but I just had to share my thoughts...

Besides being such a pimp looking car, this thing hauls ass! My brother's friend just bought a used 02 M3 for such a good deal. One owner, 15k miles, at a low price of 36k... the thing is in perfect condition! I'm jealous.

So anyways, my bro's friend is new to driving stick but he takes me out for a quick spin anyways. Even with his crappy shifting the M3 threw me back in the seat. My brother got to drive it and he said the shifting is butter smooth, and the power in each gear is instantaneous. Now I gotta convince him to let me drive it

From reading other posts, it looks like it will take at least an upgraded turbo to beat one of these on the highway. Possibly a stage 2 can hold it off until 80 or so. I guess I'll be looking to upgrade very soon. Damn that bastard!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hehe... I take it you haven't ridden in a Stage 4 wrx yet?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Re: Just rode in an M3... wow

Originally posted by 03WREX
    Sorry, no race but I just had to share my thoughts...

Besides being such a pimp looking car, this thing hauls ass! My brother's friend just bought a used 02 M3 for such a good deal. One owner, 15k miles, at a low price of 36k... the thing is in perfect condition! I'm jealous.

So anyways, my bro's friend is new to driving stick but he takes me out for a quick spin anyways. Even with his crappy shifting the M3 threw me back in the seat. My brother got to drive it and he said the shifting is butter smooth, and the power in each gear is instantaneous. Now I gotta convince him to let me drive it

From reading other posts, it looks like it will take at least an upgraded turbo to beat one of these on the highway. Possibly a stage 2 can hold it off until 80 or so. I guess I'll be looking to upgrade very soon. Damn that bastard!
    yes, the M3 is an amazing car and that price is absolutely awesome!

stageII rex will NOT even begin to keep up with an E46 M3 from a roll. it requires a stageIV to keep up and even then, you need to be really well tuned to pull on it.

great cars... if bmw doesnt bastardize its exterior i might pick up a used 02 in a few years
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by jigga
    hehe... I take it you haven't ridden in a Stage 4 wrx yet?
    Yes, I beat a new M3 by about 1-2 cars up to 80mph in my Stage 4. This was without the aid of a launch. So with a good launch it would have been more like 3-4 cars up to 80mph.
    Nice cars but slower than a stage 4 WRX.

Yea, I know we can beat it (with the proper mods) but I do admit I love the look and the overall package of the M3. Definitely a car on my top 3 reasonably priced car list. I would love to ride in a stage 4 wrx though... unfortunately I haven't experienced that kind of speed.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Yes, I beat a new M3 by about 1-2 cars up to 80mph in my Stage 4. This was without the aid of a launch. So with a good launch it would have been more like 3-4 cars up to 80mph.
    Nice cars but slower than a stage 4 WRX.
    but i am not to sure a stage4 would pull on an E46 from a higher roll, unless the stage4 had all the goodies and was tuned very well...

or am i wrong
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Horsepower 333 @ 7900 RPM
    Torque 262 @ 4900 RPM

That car owns......

Some links.....its still out of my price range but one can always look

40k http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2472

38k http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2450

35k!!!!! http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1411

If i was in Wisconsin i'd be all over this..... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1634

Err......now im thinking something might be wrong with this one http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2419

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2565

Am i missing something here. Auto trader has them from 60k to the lowest one for 15k with only 8k miles on it. The book value is 49k on one. What is the deal with the last one?
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

Re: Re: Just rode in an M3... wow

Originally posted by DTR maxima

stageII rex will NOT even begin to keep up with an E46 M3 from a roll. it requires a stageIV to keep up and even then, you need to be really well tuned to pull on it.
    my stage 2ish WRX beats my buddies E46 from every aspect but 100+

from a dig there's not even a chance.

A mildly modded sti will also take one in a roll, like TBE, intake, EM.

Kevin
    '04 STi Blue/Gold

XS500/UTEC/UR 785cc/MRT TMIC/3" Catless/AVO Turbo inlet/APS 70mm CAI/AVC-R/JIC FLT-A2/SSR Type-C

ECUTEK!!!!

349.3 WHP, Dyno Dynamics, 100 octane (torco)

~450 bhp

I can't wait to see a new M5... now that will be some nice N/A power. What will it be, 400hp? or was is it 500hp v10? I wasn't sure if I liked the new 5 series body style but with a v10 packing all that punch... I'd be all over it in a heart beat. If only I had money...

the next M5 will be a 500HP V10. It revs to almost 9K rpms I think. I can't remember where it was I read though that the engine could go to 10K rpms, but was dialled back in the interest of longevity. If that is true, would that not make it the fastest spinning oem engine of its size??
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

My brother is the head tech for BMW in seattle. The motor is de-tuned. The prototype he checked out was pushing a little over 850HP and the tuned race version was running over 1000HP N/A. And it should still get almost 30miles to the gallon is what he told me.

Added I get to Drive a E36 and E46 M3 every week
    as much as I love my WRX, the quality doesnt even come close, the stage 4 may performe slightly better than a stock E46 M3 but it dosen't have the over all quality.
    Last edited by Rice Boi; 05-24-2004 at 03:10 PM.
    HKW

Is the M5 engine at all related to their F1 motor? At 1000hp and such a high rev limit, I have to wonder, but I don't know a lot about the BMW lineup.

I still remember my first ride in an M3. It was the first actually fast car I ever got to ride. It was a real eye opener, because I thought my Maxima was kinda fast at the time. That M3 was a whole different kind of fast. Someday...
    ribonucleic acid freakout

the engine is not related to the F1 engine..

If it was, it would have have a displacement of 3.0L, and a rev limit of closer to 19,000 (no typo) RPM's

it is more "inspired" by the F1 engine, rather than related...

One more thing.... The F1 engine makes just over 700HP, and very paltry torque. The next M5 will have 500Hp, and same amount of torque as the current M5 V8.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I thought the link would be pretty weak, since the base specs are so different. It just looked like some trickle-down tech rather than a transplant.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast