All sti owners please read:

This is a discussion on All sti owners please read: within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Now I have raced 3 sti's in my life. 1.STI: catback, downpipe, mbc= 2 cars by 120mph 2.STI: downpipe, wastgate ...

All sti owners please read:

Now I have raced 3 sti's in my life.

1.STI: catback, downpipe, mbc= 2 cars by 120mph
    2.STI: downpipe, wastgate spring ? = about 2 cars maybe less by same mph.
    3.Stock STI: 4 cars by 120 w/my stock intercooler

Heres my question. I placed some 100 octane in the car to see if it would boost performance. IT didnt so I was driving to get it all out last night. I put some good ole 93 in and tried to cypher all the 100 out. Late last night an STI wanted to run me. He looked all stock including his exhaust.

2 gear run: he pulls me and by 90 we are neck and neck w/me starting to pull but have to let off for traffic....Im now bewildered.

Now I want to run again in a clear area. He obliges.

1st gear run: I immediately pull but by 120mph he was at my back bumper which isn't that much of a kill. He claims it was totally stock....

IT might have been but Im not sure my car was running correctly also. It felt a little wierd but so be it. Im just wondering do you think he could have had. Can you use the utec w/out any supporting mods and what type of gains would he see ?

P.s: he was also a bit of a prik. "your lucky we dont race from a dig I would kill you..." end quote...I was like riiiiight....move on loser. Bad gas or not youve just been served...(sorry for the corny quote I just unfortunately saw that movie....)
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would think that my hp and tq would really lay it into a stock or close to stock sti...Plus my car is lighter...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

He may be runnng the utec on his STi

I can tell you from experience my STi is much faster now that I have installed the utec. The difference is very noticeable. I can't wait for my next visit to the track or an unsuspecting victim on the street.

There are some guys running mid 12s @ 106 + with just utec on a basically stock STi.
    Just by the way my car pulls its definately faster than my
    Stage 4 WRX was.
    I expect 12.5 @ 109 mph my next trip to the track with the utec and turbo back exhaust

Well, I beat him but not by much. I wonder if he had the utec...You can run that w/out an exhaust obviously. Damn I wish I knew.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

I would also guess utec if anything. Either that or he was the best driver you've encountered thus far, but from a roll that isn't in the equation *as much*.

I've hardly seen any other STi's out on the road here, just a couple and neither wanted to play. Most WRX's I see also look very stock, there are hardly any that are as awesome as yours around here...either that or the owners never drive them
    2004 STi, Java Black Pearl
    www.cardomain.com/id/2004wrxsti

Best ET 4/24/04
    12.38@109

Unless you were in the wrong gear or you're car really was running crappy I doubt he was stock. 5th and 6th gear just aren't very quick in a stock STi. It's possible he had UTEC, but I do doubt that only because it's still about a month old, but hey you never know. If he did have UTEC that should be enough to edge you, but it's more probable he had minor mods like my car: downpipe, intake, header.
    I have a bit more mods than that, but that still should give him enough top-end to pull on your 5 geared rex and still maintain the stock cat-back and similar sound levels (especially if he had a high flow cat).
    More or less, it was probably the combination of factors including your crappy gas, gearing, and his mods. Unless you have some serious weight reduction I don't see how that could have been much of a factor.

Get some more mods and put a stomping on his "stock" STi.

i highly doubt he had a UTEC...its brand new, and not many people have it...esp ones outside forums.

the UTEC really only helps in the torque dept around 3-4k...and of course the consistency thing too...

...i bet he was just spraying his intercooler
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Real stupid question, was it a blue one with gold rims? were you in nassau county, say hempstead turn pike?

It was blue w/gold rims but it was on deer park which is right around there.

More mods dennis, Im almost maxxed out....18g is in my living room though..

Whats w/the question turbowill ? Do you know that one ?
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Well, from what I understand it's a easier to get a bad tank of 100 octane from a gas station, because it tends to sit a long while - water might get in, etc. Also, some kinds of race can make the car richer, slowing you down too.

Kevin
    '04 STi Blue/Gold

XS500/UTEC/UR 785cc/MRT TMIC/3" Catless/AVO Turbo inlet/APS 70mm CAI/AVC-R/JIC FLT-A2/SSR Type-C

ECUTEK!!!!

349.3 WHP, Dyno Dynamics, 100 octane (torco)

~450 bhp

Any info turbo will ?
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    Any info turbo will ?
    My friend john has a blue sti wit gold rims. He's out on DPA alot. his car looks stock but it isn't. He won't let anyone know what he has done. I know it does low 12's.

I hope that was him...He had sort of an accent and dirty blondish hair. A stock sti catback however...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

I Support ClubWRX
    Good runs against the STi. I always say, anything is possible. Assuming from your sig that you are in low 13 sec 1/4? If so, a stock STi may be able to do what you stated. I ran 12.9 in my stock STi, so anything is possible.

Love to see WRX and STi go at it. Great fun can be had by all!!!!

tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

My sig was from my stage 2 days...Not now..I have beaten many cars that trap anywhere from 105-110 mph. All from roll's. I would hope that I would trap in the high 100's if not 111-112. I wont know until I go though.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)