Mythic Battle: Subaru vs Ford
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mythic Battle: Subaru vs Ford within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; They say when you are great time slows down, the seconds become hours, when you are great you live between ...

Mythic Battle: Subaru vs Ford

They say when you are great time slows down, the seconds become hours, when you are great you live between the ticks of the clock. Ted Williams said he could see the ball pitched in slow motion, he could watch the seams spin through the air as the ball hurled toward him. For the greats, in racing the sweet purr of the engine is lost, or rather transformed. When the race is on the sweet hum of pumping pistons is replaced by the metronomic pounding of gasoline igniting. When the competition is tight your mind focuses on the moment, the time between revs can be savored, and each explosion rings clearly in your ear. At the line, ready to go, time stops, and the race begins.

It had been some time since I have been able to race, not since my mythic encounter with the Jetta GL. I was beginning to think it was a fluke, or maybe the word had gotten out. Were people avoiding the mighty blue wagon? Today, my drought would finally end, and by what you ask? Not another Jetta, but one, very small step up, a Ford Focus SVT. I was on my way home from lunch at the very light where the famed Jetta encounter took place, behind me came up a black focus, it had plastic mesh between the slits on the front bumper, I knew it was an SVT. He lined up next to me at the light but when I looked over to see the man behind the wheel of the black Focus he did not look back. Was he afraid? Did he catch wind of the gutted midpipe that would put the WRX in a whole different class?

The light turned green and I took off at half throttle, and nothing from the focus on my right. Disappointment, even though I knew I would win if he were to run. Another light, this time I was annoyed to have caught the red, there were chilly dogs and mac & cheese waiting for me at home. I had reached the light long before the focus but this time I didn’t care, I was merely watching my light and paying no mind to the deceptive black focus next to me. When the light flashed emerald I rolled over the line at a pace slower then was normal for me even in every day situations. But this time I heard something to my right, a cry of battle came from the squealing wheels of the tenebrous focus.

Time had slowed finally, or so it seems. My foot slowly pressed to the floor and my RPMs began to rise, starting so low in the power band it took a while before the sweet turbo scream reached my ears. Though the element of surprise was on the side of the focus, traction was not kind to him. Short shifting at close to 6500 rpm I was surprised at the slowness I felt, it felt as if it took over a second to pull the shifter into second. He was on my rear bumper as I pressed the pedal down to accelerate through second gear, I had gained a half car by the time I reached third. Again, the motion of my shift which again I did around 6500 was slow. But this time I realized something as I felt the car fall forward, it was not a genius ability that was slowing time to my mind. No in fact it was sheer laziness, and I was shifting slowly and short of redline.

A turn in the road came up, sharp one, I powered through in third and he fell farther behind. At the next light he turned right and didn’t so much as look over to see my thumbs up. Through third before the turn he held alright, losing ground slowly. But either the driver or the car couldn’t or wouldn’t handle the turn at speed. Someday, I will race a cool car, maybe.

If there is anything that sounds wrong or is misworded, I am just to lazy to proof read.
    -Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sound good , i think you worded it nicely. and put descriptive words in.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Re: Mythic Battle: Subaru vs Ford

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    Another light, this time I was annoyed to have caught the red, there were chilly dogs and mac & cheese waiting for me at home.

This part made me bust out laughing Nice run though, put that pesty little focus in his place
    2004 STi, Java Black Pearl
    www.cardomain.com/id/2004wrxsti

Best ET 4/24/04
    12.38@109

It is the second focus I have raced. The last one was about a year ago with a GIANT Saleen sticker on it.
    -Andrew

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha, awesome read!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Too bad you dont get many races lemon as i love reading your posts. Im sure youve heard it before, but you should realy consider submitting some of your writing to a car mag.

Oh yea..I didnt proof read either :

Please oh Please write a book!! Dude you are good!
    Plot:
    Take your scoobie up to stg 4 (fp 18g of course) and travel the country racing small town hot rods. (Even better 2.57 block with 20g)

Of course the in between parts would be critical. Sleezy motel stops, envious domestics, and sultry women.

Seriously, the first paragraph was awesome literature...

Signed
    Wagon Fan

They say when you are great time slows down, the seconds become hours, when you are great you live between the ticks of the clock. Ted Williams said he could see the ball pitched in slow motion, he could watch the seams spin through the air as the ball hurled toward him. For the greats, in racing the sweet purr of the engine is lost, or rather transformed. When the race is on the sweet hum of pumping pistons is replaced by the metronomic pounding of gasoline igniting. When the competition is tight your mind focuses on the moment, the time between revs can be savored, and each explosion rings clearly in your ear. At the line, ready to go, time stops, and the race begins.

Great read. I could actually see shifting in slow motion.

"Nooooooo........I.......can't........shift......a ny........faster.......!....."
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by wyowrx
    Please oh Please write a book!! Dude you are good!
    Plot:
    Take your scoobie up to stg 4 (fp 18g of course) and travel the country racing small town hot rods. (Even better 2.57 block with 20g)

Of course the in between parts would be critical. Sleezy motel stops, envious domestics, and sultry women.

Seriously, the first paragraph was awesome literature...

Signed
    Wagon Fan
    That is a good idea, all i would need is some sort of foward on the money. Or a research budget, you know to get the mods, and then I would be set.

Also, I don't see what kind of car mag would be interested in over dramatic street race stories, but it would be *****en if they were. It would be awsome to get paid from time to time to test drive a car and then write about it.
    -Andrew

I liked the part about chilly dogs and mac & cheese.

-tp
    The 202 Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia "Silent But Deadly Ass-sasin"
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome writing,man. You've got a knack,here's to your next race.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I am putting the second section of my ghetto back in tomorrow, the gutted DP. I didn't even have to cut it to gut it. Maybe I will find some races when I am testing it out.
    -Andrew

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.