Why so much hype about the SRT-4?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why so much hype about the SRT-4?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A few comments: This subject has been discussed, and can be viewed ad-nauseum here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...g+to+be+racing I'm the driver in the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    A few comments:

This subject has been discussed, and can be viewed ad-nauseum here:
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...g+to+be+racing

I'm the driver in the STi discussed in the thread.

The starter of this thread has been posting some very odd questions/comments regarding his STi. For instance: Who can I get to give me a 50/50 lock on the center diff (adjustable for those who own one would know). He was glad that he bought the 6 speed STi and the not the auto.

These questions, and this thread, lead me to believe we have a "wannabe" amongst the crowd. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, please post pics of you and your STi and I'll humbly beg your forgiveness. If not, please stop with the inane comments, rediculous questions, and poser stories. Maybe you have driven an SRT4, and quite honestly, I would agree with you that it doesn't feel as strong as the STi. But for some odd reason, I suspect you are posting subjects like this to associate yourself with an STi, which you don't actually own. I can't blame you, but dude...c'mon..it's just a car.

Abrigado
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pwn3d!
    Slow Neon.

From a stock WRX owner who was killed by an SRT from a ~30mph roll...they are that fast! (and cost a lot less than an STi) Your buttdyno must have been miscalibrated!
    That said, I would still buy an EVO or STi if I had the cash over an SRT-4

I for one, think I have a pretty fair view of both cars. I have driven a friends STi several times in the past few months (stock) and I myself used to own a modified WRX and now own a slightly modified SRT-4.

Here's a dyno graph of my car. The red line is bone stock with 119 miles on it. The blue line is with your basic performance upgrades. Just a downpipe, wga (the stock wga spring on the SRT-4 is pretty weak. The wga mod allows more boost to be held to redline), boost controller, intake, stage 1 ecu.

All in all, the mods cost me about $1050 but could have been had for alot less (spring mod, etc) and I'm pretty happy considering it is untuned and on the stock turbo. I'm confident that once my e-manage and e-01 arrive I can squeeze 300whp out of this puppy on the stock turbo.

For the money, its a great car with a great engine but AWD is the ****. On the highway I dont think I'd have any problem with a stock STi (tables might turn against an STi with a TBE and UTEC though) but from a stop I'd still be toast. It would take awhile for me to catch up with a well launched STI.

IMO, theyre two great cars but I think if you poll most SRT owners theyd tell you theyd rather have an STi if both were equal price.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Those SRT 4's rule. was about to get one until i found out you had to manually roll down the rear window. Kinda hard pulling to the side of the road to let some air in for my son in the back. And the number one reason for not getting the Dodge. Neon. Same platform and same poor crash results. The Subarus have a safer and sturdier cabin as the results of recent tests. Forgot where the pictures came from, I think Nabisco?? had someone post it. I know, i know, it doesn't matter about safety and its all about speed.... well I kinda like the look of the STI more than the " HI" of the front fascia of the neon. But they are both fast!!

I was going to get rid of my WRX for a SRT-4... but have decided on the new Legacy GT.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

Hhahah.....You guys all have a fairly positive pt. of view about the SRT4, which I like . Now, I definetly want to ride in a mod Srt-4 .

Bonus: I finally got a chance to race my bro 2001 zo6 which have intake and exhaust done to his car should be yield to about the same as the 2003 405hp zo6 pwer, am I correct??

Anyway, the race me in 3rd gear about 3500rpm and I think he's in the 2nd gear, after 3 honk, my sti quickly jump and pull half a car through 4th, but by the end of 4th gear which is around 120km, by the time I shift to 5th he start to pull even and then you guys know what will happen right??? That is blew by me like I'm standing still LOL!!! Anyway I'm very happy with the result.

We did 3 runs and the same result

*I realli hate the gear ratio on the STI especailly 4th to 5th!!!

My performance mods:
    Helix catless DP
    HKS carbon-ti catback
    Blitz SBC-id III set to around 16psi(peak) 5th is 17psi(peak)
    HKS SSQV which doens't realli help :/
    Unknown brand short ram intake

andrew

But yeah, to answer your question, there is no hype over the SRT-4. It's just a stupid Neon with a strong engine, that's it. If you see one on the road, just flip off the driver and spit into his intercooler.

It should feel slow because it is slow. Don't take them seriously because 75% of all SRT-4 owners are kids who can't drive and think it can beat Vettes and Cobras.

w3rd.
    Slow Neon.

Originally posted by Khryz
    But yeah, to answer your question, there is no hype over the SRT-4. It's just a stupid Neon with a strong engine, that's it. If you see one on the road, just flip off the driver and spit into his intercooler.

It should feel slow because it is slow. Don't take them seriously because 75% of all SRT-4 owners are kids who can't drive and think it can beat Vettes and Cobras.

w3rd.
    My sarcasm detector is going off like crazy right now
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

From a launch, the STi and WRX have a huge advantage. Out of curiosity, how many of these launches can the car surrvive before something breaks or gets worn out (maybe 50 or 60, or more??).

In my opinon, unless you are striclty into drag racing, then performance from a roll is way more important.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jaman
    From a launch, the STi and WRX have a huge advantage. Out of curiosity, how many of these launches can the car surrvive before something breaks or gets worn out (maybe 50 or 60, or more??).

In my opinon, unless you are striclty into drag racing, then performance from a roll is way more important.
    I'm sorry, but SAY WHAT!!!????

OK..lets go that route. How about performance from a roll, from a roll to a stop, from a roll around a corner, from weight transfer, from lane changing, from hell...any other aspect. Basically, if you aren't into dragracing, all of the other performance aspects that come to mind.

I respect your opinion, and if you are buying the SRT4 for it "performance from a roll" aspect, then you are truly suited to the car.

IMO, there is a lot more to a car than that. Not disrespecting the SRT4 in those categores, as it is actually a decent car to drive, even hard in the twisties (assuming you can overlook the feel of the clutch and shifter throws, and you don't mind average brakes for stopping).

Once you compare it to something that actually does perform in the twisties, then its buh-by...regardles of it's "performance from a roll" characteristics. And honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but can you please reference any motorsport where the "performance from a roll" category is the measurement used to qualify winners/losers? I can't think of a single one...oh wait...maybe the salt flats top speed races...but they are already at their top end upon start and finish. So maybe it's "ability to maintain the roll"..... Did I just establish a new performance category??

edit: Forgot one last item. Having driven all 3 vehicles, and having owned 2 of them (not the SRT4), and knowing the weak links of all of them via friends who are owners, and of course, from boards like this, IMO, the STi would outlast the SRT4 in any wearability category, with the exception of the aluminum block vs the iron block of the SRT4. Keep them both stock though, and only time will tell which lasts longer, but I suspect it would be the SRT4. But after 50 or 60 launches, my money is on the STi. Check the boards for SRT4 clutches, transmissions, and axle shafts. Check the board for STi clutches, transmissions and axleshafts. Notice the difference? Yes, you can blame it on the likely age level difference, or launch techniques, or shifting ability, but a difference is a difference, regardless of the reason. If you take that into account, then the WRX would rate better than the SRT4, despite the numerous reports of broken trannies.
    PS....check out JD Powers for both, and then tell me the SRT4 will outlast either the WRX or the STi. Nope.
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 05-20-2004 at 12:48 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    But for some odd reason, I suspect you are posting subjects like this to associate yourself with an STi, which you don't actually own. I can't blame you, but dude...c'mon..it's just a car.

Abrigado
    HAHAHA I love it. Are you posing BGSTi?

If I had and extra 20 grand I would totally rock an SRT-4 with a Neon ACR suspension.
    That would be great all around performer for little $.

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    I'm sorry, but SAY WHAT!!!????

OK..lets go that route. How about performance from a roll, from a roll to a stop, from a roll around a corner, from weight transfer, from lane changing, from hell...any other aspect. Basically, if you aren't into dragracing, all of the other performance aspects that come to mind.

I respect your opinion, and if you are buying the SRT4 for it "performance from a roll" aspect, then you are truly suited to the car.

IMO, there is a lot more to a car than that. Not disrespecting the SRT4 in those categores, as it is actually a decent car to drive, even hard in the twisties (assuming you can overlook the feel of the clutch and shifter throws, and you don't mind average brakes for stopping).

Once you compare it to something that actually does perform in the twisties, then its buh-by...regardles of it's "performance from a roll" characteristics. And honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but can you please reference any motorsport where the "performance from a roll" category is the measurement used to qualify winners/losers? I can't think of a single one...oh wait...maybe the salt flats top speed races...but they are already at their top end upon start and finish. So maybe it's "ability to maintain the roll"..... Did I just establish a new performance category??

edit: Forgot one last item. Having driven all 3 vehicles, and having owned 2 of them (not the SRT4), and knowing the weak links of all of them via friends who are owners, and of course, from boards like this, IMO, the STi would outlast the SRT4 in any wearability category, with the exception of the aluminum block vs the iron block of the SRT4. Keep them both stock though, and only time will tell which lasts longer, but I suspect it would be the SRT4. But after 50 or 60 launches, my money is on the STi. Check the boards for SRT4 clutches, transmissions, and axle shafts. Check the board for STi clutches, transmissions and axleshafts. Notice the difference? Yes, you can blame it on the likely age level difference, or launch techniques, or shifting ability, but a difference is a difference, regardless of the reason. If you take that into account, then the WRX would rate better than the SRT4, despite the numerous reports of broken trannies.
    PS....check out JD Powers for both, and then tell me the SRT4 will outlast either the WRX or the STi. Nope.
    Not to flame back, but you need to spend some more time behind the wheel of the srt before you pass judgement on it's ability. While the wrx and sti handle, stop, go and twist great, the srt is no slouch behind them. Anyone who has any ability to drive can get the srt to do just about whatever they want. All the performance tests from mags show the srt competitive against the wrx in all the catagories, and competitive against the sti within respect to cost (ie, the sti is faster, stops better, higher grip, but not by much, considering it's 10g more). People who perpetuate the notion that the SRT is only a straight line car have never tested that theroy, and base their knowledge of the car on bad drivers and assumptions.

Furthermore - the only complaints of axles, clutchs and tranny issues coming out of the srt camp are from people breaching the 350hp mark, and only after racing them. Not to shabby if you ask me. JD power's website ranks the neon higher than the impreza in all the quality catagorys they list. Again, people who believe the 2003+ neons are junk outta go study instead of using assumptions. I've got 39k hard miles on my car, including road racing, drag racing, and a handful of modifications, and the car hasn't hiccup'd once. Feel free to come and look at how well my car's holding up - it suprises even me.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

... and I've got 59,000 miles on my WRX, with it being a "Stg II" car for the past 40,000 miles. Easily 50 passes at the dragstrip, 2 events at Road America, 5 autocrosses, and a variety of some fun agressive street driving along with towing my JetSki to and from the lake an hour each way throughout the summers. Stock clutch, stock tranny, stock turbo... Seems to be holding up to my abuse. Just the mods listed below.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

HAHAHA I love it. Are you posing BGSTi?
    Haha....sure I can post some pic of my car, but since my imagestation is Fukup with the active code & password stuff....I'm giving up and decide whatever he said. I don't need to prove anything to anyone Correct??

andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.