Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't think he was completely stock, and we started at about 40MPH. I kept right next to him, but ...

Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday

I don't think he was completely stock, and we started at about 40MPH. I kept right next to him, but he gradually started pulling on me after we hit about 100MPH, then let off. He gave me the nod of approval...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday

Originally posted by WRXncrew
    I don't think he was completely stock, and we started at about 40MPH. I kept right next to him, but he gradually started pulling on me after we hit about 100MPH, then let off. He gave me the nod of approval...
    Nice run...
    Did you already have your V-23 installed?

No, stock TD04 turbo... If the VF23 was in, i'm guessing I probably would have taken him.

Originally posted by WRXncrew
    No, stock TD04 turbo... If the VF23 was in, i'm guessing I probably would have taken him.
    more than likely. nice run. those are quick cars... and he probably was not stock. its hard to find a car like that, that is stock... modding is just to easy with the mustang
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

What were you traping on the 1/4 with the stck turbo? 1998 will trap 106 Stock.

Well the 98 Cobra's only carry 305 hp and are nothing compared to the new ones that carry 390 hp and 390 lb ft of torque Not to mention that Ford UNDER rates the power on the Cobra and then with only around $500, you can add 75-100 hp to them. I have seen 2 new Cobras lately and I just let them roll past because those things are killers. There is a dealer near me selling a used 2004 Cobra for $29K, they offered me $21K for the Evo and I am soooo tempted to take them up on it but I really want to wait and drive the 05 GT first because its supposed to match the performance of the current Mach 1's

4v is better than 3v
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by mike01svt
    4v is better than 3v
    True, but the best times I have seen on the current Mach 1 is 0-60 in 5.2 and the quarter in 13.8 @102 mph and that is almost identical to the initial tests of the 05 GT's.

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    Well the 98 Cobra's only carry 305 hp and are nothing compared to the new ones that carry 390 hp and 390 lb ft of torque Not to mention that Ford UNDER rates the power on the Cobra and then with only around $500, you can add 75-100 hp to them. I have seen 2 new Cobras lately and I just let them roll past because those things are killers. There is a dealer near me selling a used 2004 Cobra for $29K, they offered me $21K for the Evo and I am soooo tempted to take them up on it but I really want to wait and drive the 05 GT first because its supposed to match the performance of the current Mach 1's
    you really wanna trade your evo in.. for a mustang... i admit the 05 is gonna be sweet but trade in the evo ..naw.. i couldn't do it.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    True, but the best times I have seen on the current Mach 1 is 0-60 in 5.2 and the quarter in 13.8 @102 mph and that is almost identical to the initial tests of the 05 GT's.

well my reasoning in saying that s becuase of the aftermarket.. i bought my car and started modding... I would be mad if i couldnt get parts for it... heads/cams/supercharger....

FWIW the realworld times on machs are faster than mine... i ran a 13.5 stock at 104.... machs are running 13.2@106 due to the increase in low end torque... they were underrated from the factory. but then again i havent seen a new gt run at the track.. so they could be running faster than the quoted time.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

I didnt post it this weekend because it was pointless but now that you mentioned it I will add to yours.

99 svt cobra

I asked they guy if his car was "fast" just messing w/him. He came back w/no its slow...Its a cobra, what do you think. I said ok.

2nd gear roll and my girlfriend had to ask if he even went by the time I was 1/2 way through 3rd. To his defense he was stock but I had like 5-6 lengths on him. Not very fast stock. Just my .02. I raced a hooked up focus that gave me more of a battle...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

I call BS. Even a 99 Cobra would not get worked that bad from a roll, he would have pulled on you up over 80 mph.

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    I didnt post it this weekend because it was pointless but now that you mentioned it I will add to yours.

99 svt cobra

I asked they guy if his car was "fast" just messing w/him. He came back w/no its slow...Its a cobra, what do you think. I said ok.

2nd gear roll and my girlfriend had to ask if he even went by the time I was 1/2 way through 3rd. To his defense he was stock but I had like 5-6 lengths on him. Not very fast stock. Just my .02. I raced a hooked up focus that gave me more of a battle...

good i hate it when they get cocky... a simple "yeah it's a little quick" woulda been my response
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by Novtec1
    you really wanna trade your evo in.. for a mustang... i admit the 05 is gonna be sweet but trade in the evo ..naw.. i couldn't do it.
    +1 i couldnt trade in an evo for the cobra. the evo just offers more for everyday driving.

but if i was to ever buy an american car... the 03-04 cobra would be the first on my list..... just freaking crazy asss cars... theres nothing else to say... some guy around town has one with smaller pulley, catback, x-pipe and with DR he running 11's like nothing.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    I dont gather the whole crazy 03 cobra thing that most people give off. Yes the car is quick and moves like nothing else from the factory for the money, but there are MILLIONS of other STREETABLE mustangs that can do the same thing that really dont get respect. For three grand and a call to ATI or Vortech that 98 (or any cobra) would (with DR) put a low 12 on the clicker. You figure a used cobra for 16 grand, 4 grand of mods...still saved 10 grand and could easily surprise more people...Not even going to mention what a nice fox body can do with the right mods...most people just over look.

As for as this race is concerned is nice to hear someone not bash a mustang after they beat it. It's all in good fun.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.