Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Raced a '98 SVT Mustang Cobra yesterday within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Novtec1 you really wanna trade your evo in.. for a mustang... i admit the 05 is gonna ...

Originally posted by Novtec1
    you really wanna trade your evo in.. for a mustang... i admit the 05 is gonna be sweet but trade in the evo ..naw.. i couldn't do it.
    Well alot of the trouble is I live in the hot ass, southern Cali desert and we get temps up over 115 degrees here in the summer. I am already noticing the turbo not performing as well and its only hit like 104 so far. A supercharger isn't really ideal for that kind of heat either but they do peform better then a turbo does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    I dont gather the whole crazy 03 cobra thing that most people give off. Yes the car is quick and moves like nothing else from the factory for the money, but there are MILLIONS of other STREETABLE mustangs that can do the same thing that really dont get respect. For three grand and a call to ATI or Vortech that 98 (or any cobra) would (with DR) put a low 12 on the clicker. You figure a used cobra for 16 grand, 4 grand of mods...still saved 10 grand and could easily surprise more people...Not even going to mention what a nice fox body can do with the right mods...most people just over look.

As for as this race is concerned is nice to hear someone not bash a mustang after they beat it. It's all in good fun.
    i dont know about for other people, but this is my thing about the 03+ as opposed to a notch back or something.

- i like a car with some refinement + performance. you can make pretty much any v-8 mustang VERY fast for very cheap... the reason i think the new cobra is so crazy is because its a new car, retains some new car refinement and quality, not as many rattles, etc.....
    and it will run 12's stock... smaller pulley and catback and you can see high 11's with a good launch... <<<this is what attracts me.
    i know there are 5.0's with s/c and N02 running 10's with like 4grand, but they are not the most refined things usually
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

call BS. Even a 99 Cobra would not get worked that bad from a roll, he would have pulled on you up over 80 mph.
    Uhm...no. He would have maybe pulled me at 180mph. I had him by 5 or so car lenghts. I never Bs. I have more whp then he has crank and my car is lighter. Sorry man but no bs, only the truth
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 13secwrx
    Uhm...no. He would have maybe pulled me at 180mph. I had him by 5 or so car lenghts. I never Bs. I have more whp then he has crank and my car is lighter. Sorry man but no bs, only the truth
    I realize your 180 comment was probaly a joke but most street cars will have a hard time pulling 150 let alone higher. At 160 you really hit a wall and it's hard to pass that point (Unless after you hit your red button your floor board falls out). I've read several articles on high speed street cars and 160 means more then 200 to alot of people. It's like tossing a brick into the wind.....it will only go so fast before it maintains it's constent speed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

You DO realize Ford underrates their hp right? What they list is pretty close to whp. 2004 Cobra's are listed at 390 hp but I have seen dynos at 398 hp for them. Its usually the companies that have the smaller, 4 cylnd engines that claim much higher crank hp then the actual whp, most of the muscle cars are very close.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by EVOVIII
    You DO realize Ford underrates their hp right? What they list is pretty close to whp. 2004 Cobra's are listed at 390 hp but I have seen dynos at 398 hp for them. Its usually the companies that have the smaller, 4 cylnd engines that claim much higher crank hp then the actual whp, most of the muscle cars are very close.
    Then I guess we shouldnt mention the 99 cobra and the I think it was 00 Cobra that was recalled for not making advertised power.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Yeah but during the years of 99-01 ford had issues about their hp rating. they actually had to if I remember correctly adjust the hp on the cobra because just the opposite was occuring. The new cobra is diff. and in a whole nother league. The older one however is not.

I was joking about the 180 remark. He would have never caught up unless my engine seized
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    Then I guess we shouldnt mention the 99 cobra and the I think it was 00 Cobra that was recalled for not making advertised power.
    your right.. it was the 99 cobra... but only that one.. the only cobra in 00 was the Cobra R... then in 01 they made the next cobra... then nothing in 02... then in 03 and 04... the s/c cobra.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Yeah but during the years of 99-01 ford had issues about their hp rating. they actually had to if I remember correctly adjust the hp on the cobra because just the opposite was occuring. The new cobra is diff. and in a whole nother league. The older one however is not.

I was joking about the 180 remark. He would have never caught up unless my engine seized
    i beleive you... you are making more hp AND torque than the 99 cobra... they dyno at 278/280 roughly...
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by Drod
    What were you traping on the 1/4 with the stck turbo? 1998 will trap 106 Stock.
    I'm not sure, because I've never been on the strip, or tried a standing 1/4. Anyone care to guesstimate?

I had a 1997 Cobra traded it in for my WRX. I ran a 13.40 @ 105 in stock form. My brother, who is a better driver than me ran a 13.20 @ 104 with Drag radials and the air box removed. The car ran similar numbers the entire summer and then we had to change the clutch. These cars are quick, but they are a tempermental beast. They are hard to launch and have no power under 4k.

I have more whp then he has crank and my car is lighter. Sorry man but no bs, only the truth
    NO you don't! (see sig)
    99 Cobra- Rio Red
    286rwhp 290rwtq (stock)
    MODS- Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Eibach springs, 03 Cobra Bilstein shocks, Bassini X-pipe w/cats

89 Saleen #342 Mods:Cobra intake,B303 cam,65mm throttle body,75mm bullet mass air,stock ported heads,24lb injectors,1.72 rocker arms,shorty headers,BBK hi-flow cats,2 chamber flowmasters,3.55 gears

236rwhp 276rwtq - Modded

BTW somebody posted that the best time they seen for a Mach 1 was 13.8. The Mach's with the soild axle, 3.55 gears and a little more torque are a little fast then the 99/01 Cobra's. C+D got a 13.5@105 mph out of a 01 Cobra so a Mach 1 should be low 13's high 12 second car.

Here's the article:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
    99 Cobra- Rio Red
    286rwhp 290rwtq (stock)
    MODS- Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Eibach springs, 03 Cobra Bilstein shocks, Bassini X-pipe w/cats

89 Saleen #342 Mods:Cobra intake,B303 cam,65mm throttle body,75mm bullet mass air,stock ported heads,24lb injectors,1.72 rocker arms,shorty headers,BBK hi-flow cats,2 chamber flowmasters,3.55 gears

236rwhp 276rwtq - Modded

My bad..I thought they dynod a little lower...his car must have been a dog then...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12