me vs. 350Z
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs. 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so on my way home yesterday, I run into some yuppie in his Z. From what I could tell, it ...

WRX

me vs. 350Z

so on my way home yesterday, I run into some yuppie in his Z. From what I could tell, it was manual and stock.

So this asshat, in heavy traffic, on a one lane road is in front of me. He keeps speeding up to the bumper of the guy in front of him, and slowing down. Over and over again, until it split into 2 lanes. I was certain this guy would nail it, and as soon as it opened, he did.

So he pulls in the right lane to pass a few trucks in the left lane, and I quickly follow. I had to let off the gas twice to avoid smashing into his bumper. Then we get past the trucks, and I have my chance. At this point I'm close to the top of 3rd gear and I'm gaining on him. I pulled into the left lane, and got even with him, but the light ahead started turning red.

Naturally, I wanted to go from a stop to put this guy in his place. I looked over, but he did the 'I'm too scared to look over' thing. So the light turns green, and I didn't even launch. I heard his tires squealing so I gunned it. As soon as the turbo spooled, I was gone. I must've smacked 3 cars on him before the lanes merged back into one.

sorry so long. Cliff notes: Z goes down from a roll and a stop.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    kinda makes me want to throw some more mods into the rex...
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by WRX
    Its amazing what a race will do to a man's word

Give in to it!!! You WILL continue to mod the car and represent the 4eats
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Originally posted by WRX
    Tell me about it. I got $1200 burning a hole in my pocket and World One performance willing to take that 1200 for the 34, STI injectors and Wally fuel pump. Decisions....Decisions.
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

WRX
    well, I was just kidding. I'm not really planning on throwing any more mods in.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I was under the impression that 350Z's trap around 99-101mph or so? Is that correct, or are those just "fluke" trap times?
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by smokey
    I was under the impression that 350Z's trap around 99-101mph or so? Is that correct, or are those just "fluke" trap times?
    the slow ones trap 99-100mph......hell even the autos usually trap over 100mph..

the quick ones trap a little higher (see sig)

I'm gonna call BS on this kill....with a 96mph trap you wouldn't stand a chance against a well driven Z without launching or from a roll. So either that guy couldn't drive AT ALL or your story is BS.

BTW - I just noticed that you are in IL too....would you care to meet up and see what a properly driven Z can do???
    03 350Z - intake, test pipes
    Best STOCK E.T. 13.68@102.77mph 2.09 60'
    Best mods E.T. 13.38@103.60mph 1.90 60'

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
    the slow ones trap 99-100mph......hell even the autos usually trap over 100mph..

the quick ones trap a little higher (see sig)

I'm gonna call BS on this kill....with a 96mph trap you wouldn't stand a chance against a well driven Z without launching or from a roll. So either that guy couldn't drive AT ALL or your story is BS.

BTW - I just noticed that you are in IL too....would you care to meet up and see what a properly driven Z can do???
    That's what I was getting at. I'm not going to call BS because I wasn't there, but I don't see a 96mph trap doing much against a Z from a roll. But whatever, this site is generally truthful so whatever...I'd just chalk it up to either an auto Z or maybe the Z selected the wrong gear.

Edit: I saw that auto's trap around 99-100mph. So maybe he didn't downshift? I dunno, I'd love to meet up with you guys too and see how I stack up from a roll. Ah well, someday...
    Last edited by smokey; 05-18-2004 at 01:27 PM.

That's what I was getting at. I'm not going to call BS because I wasn't there, but I don't see a 96mph trap doing much against a Z from a roll. But whatever, this site is generally truthful so whatever...I'd just chalk it up to either an auto Z or maybe the Z selected the wrong gear.

Edit: I saw that auto's trap around 99-100mph. So maybe he didn't downshift? I dunno, I'd love to meet up with you guys too and see how I stack up from a roll. Ah well, someday...
    I guess it was a little harsh to call BS....but a 96mph trap just doesn't stack up to killing a Z from a roll. Even the auto Z's should have no problem pulling a 96mph trap car.

There are a lot of tools that drive Zs and have NO IDEA what gear to be in a certain speeds or what RPM to shift at. For some reason lots of Z owners shift 500rpms before redline because they heard from sombody that they'll hit more of their torque band by shifting early.....idiots.

If you're ever up in Chi-town...hit me with a PM...and we can meet up and do some friendly runs. I have a buddy with an RSX-S with a comptech intake and I have no problem with him from any speed..but I'd really like to run a hondata'd car.

U can't paper race especially on the streets. The Z might've had a hard time hooking up or misshift... etc. And with a 2-5 mph trap difference and not running a full 1/4 mile, Anything can happen IMO.

If it was a stock wrx vs a 350z, then its a different story. or if it was a tt z THEN i would call bs

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
    I guess it was a little harsh to call BS....but a 96mph trap just doesn't stack up to killing a Z from a roll. Even the auto Z's should have no problem pulling a 96mph trap car.

There are a lot of tools that drive Zs and have NO IDEA what gear to be in a certain speeds or what RPM to shift at. For some reason lots of Z owners shift 500rpms before redline because they heard from sombody that they'll hit more of their torque band by shifting early.....idiots.

If you're ever up in Chi-town...hit me with a PM...and we can meet up and do some friendly runs. I have a buddy with an RSX-S with a comptech intake and I have no problem with him from any speed..but I'd really like to run a hondata'd car.
    Aw man, you'd still smoke me hard. My buddy's '97 M3 is probably pretty comparable to yours right now. He has I/E/Power Progammer and he'll take me by about 1-2 cars from any speed. Just too much torque to deal with...I stand no chance really.

It'd be fun though - I never get to race any fast cars around here...so if I'm up there, I'll hit you up for sure and you can show me some taillights

i don't know what it is wit hthese 350's...everywhere i go one of em wants to race.... and before we even race or they know what mods i have they swear they will beat me... i don't know.

i wouldn't call BS on any run.... paper racing is not a way to judge a car... just cause a car traps a certain speed (on paper or with a EXCELLENT DRIVER) doesn't mean EVERY 350 will do the same... you wouldn't believe how many people can't drive...
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

BigGuyMax, Ill take you up on your offer . Im in Indiana, about 45 minutes from chitown. My only concern is that i would want it to be somewhere where its VERY safe, as i dont want a ticket for going 100 mph . Shoot me a PM, i go to chitown quite often and would love to run a strong 350 Z to see how my lightly modded WRX stands up. Peace!

Looking at WRX's (oiginator of this post, not the car) mods, my mods should make my car basically identical to his.

-BobbyD
    Last edited by BobbyD; 05-18-2004 at 05:18 PM.
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

Originally posted by BobbyD
    BigGuyMax, Ill take you up on your offer . Im in Indiana, about 45 minutes from chitown. My only concern is that i would want it to be somewhere where its VERY safe, as i dont want a ticket for going 100 mph . Shoot me a PM, i go to chitown quite often and would love to run a strong 350 Z to see how my lightly modded WRX stands up. Peace!

Looking at WRX's (oiginator of this post, not the car) mods, my mods should make my car basically identical to his.

-BobbyD
    sounds good! Are you 5-speed or auto??? The guy who started this post has an automatic I believe.

mine is a 5 speed, we could do some roll on races, as i really dont feel like beating on my clutch too hard.

-Bobby D
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.