What to look for (TA, Crapmaro, Mustang)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What to look for (TA, Crapmaro, Mustang) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know a bit about tuning old 5.0 and crapmaros till 1990, but I've been gone for a while, and ...

Bil

What to look for (TA, Crapmaro, Mustang)

I know a bit about tuning old 5.0 and crapmaros till 1990, but I've been gone for a while, and am a little concerned about what to look for in these new breed of cars. Average wheel HP on these? And what's up with all these different Mustangs? How fast are these Cobra's? I think there are a couple running around with Thrust style rims (stock, but is that a Mack one?). I know they have limited mods available to add on, for all these cars, but where do I draw the line and say "no way, doesn't make sence to run it"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Interesting you ask this on a WRX forum but what the hell. There are a few resident muscle heads around here.

How much are you looking to spend? The new Cobras are supercharged and put out 390hp as rated from the factory. Of course, on the dyno they put out close to that at the wheels.

The Camaros are dead, the GTO is somewhat "alive" but nobody has really taken a liking towards them. Good setup though, LS6 with 350hp, 6-speed, etc.

There are also the Mach 1 Stangs that have the base Cobra motor (w/o forged internals) and have 300hp stock.

Trans Ams are dead, but you can go for that GTO again. You could also get a nice used WS6.

Then there are the imports. The ones these days can really compete. The WRX comes with a turbo 227hp stock motor and can get to 300hp very easily. The STi comes with turbo 300hp stock motor and can get to around 350+ very easily. You also have the EVO which comes with about 270hp turbo motor and can make great power. And if you dare, there is the *gulp* SRT-4 which comes with 240hp turbo motor stock and can make great power.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Bil
    I think you mis read the question. Either that, or I can't type well...either way, I'm racing against them with my WRX auto. I want to race these 2 idiots. 1 has an Trans am no ram air and no ws6, and certainly no mods), the other has a mach one(newer gen. and no mods to see). I think I can get them with what I have, or sure have fun trying....I THINK. That's what question I was asking...can I beat these cars or are they pumping out more than I can keep up with. There comes a point in time where you have to look at a car across from you and say "no way pal, you'll smoke me"...there's always a car faster than yours.

Moving to WRXvW
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

The Mach 1 is a low 13 sec car with the 5spd, and hig 13's with the auto. The LS1 is a low 13 sec car with the 6 spd and auto. I think that you have a good chance of beating them with your setup.

well the 99-01 cobras are quick... mid to low 13's with NO mods... limited by their IRS.. the new GT's are not as fast... high 13's or low 14's with tires and no mods... the machs are a little faster than the 99-01 cobras cuz they have a solid rear end and can launch harder... they also have a higher compression ratio different heads and cams and put down more torque... the 03 cobras with no mods are high mid 12 second cars depending on the driver.... all of these I have seen in person and I own a 01 cobra and that was my time stock. hope this helps
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Bil
    THAT's what I needed to know, thank you. The Trans Am's are probably 245 horse right? Maybe a 14.3 car I'd guess? Ram air or ws6? is 300-350 horse? and about 13.4 time, correct? These guys keep giving me the pipes and wanna play....I need to pick my battles wisely though.

Originally posted by Bil
    THAT's what I needed to know, thank you. The Trans Am's are probably 245 horse right? Maybe a 14.3 car I'd guess? Ram air or ws6? is 300-350 horse? and about 13.4 time, correct? These guys keep giving me the pipes and wanna play....I need to pick my battles wisely though.

i dont know too much about those ram airs... except that many trap 107-109 stock... i have seen this in person... so there is a lot of power there, I am almost 100 percent sure that they are faster than the gt and N/A Cobra... I dont know very much about them... watch out for the LS-1's I ran one when I was a stock Cobra... and from a roll too, which is my highpoint... i hung in there until about 80 then after that the LS-1 really shines...
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by AjIsDope

The Camaros are dead, the GTO is somewhat "alive" but nobody has really taken a liking towards them. Good setup though, LS6 with 350hp, 6-speed, etc.

I do believe that the ls6 is actually the z06 engine with 405 hp. The base corvette engine, the ls1, is what comes with 350 hp and is also present in the GTO.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Originally posted by BrandonWRX
    I do believe that the ls6 is actually the z06 engine with 405 hp. The base corvette engine, the ls1, is what comes with 350 hp and is also present in the GTO.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Now I see what you mean Bil.

The Trans Am's are probably 245 horse right? Maybe a 14.3
    Before 1993 they were 245 HP cars. 1993 to 1996 275 to 315 and 97 - 2002 350 HP. These cars dynoed 310 WHP all day long.
    Last edited by Drod; 05-20-2004 at 08:55 PM.

Bil
    I already smoked a new GTO the first night I had the mods added. Smoked some old 80's 5.0's and a suped GTA from like 1988 (those had the good 350 and he had some mods). I'm not too worried about the Trans Ams, and certainly not the Mustangs lower cars, it was all these different versions that eveyone seems to be coming out with to cash in right now, it's hard to keep strait on whats fast and whats REALLY fast. BUT wait till they get a taste of the new turbo. This should be a fun weekend. Best part is, I can race in the rain, they spin.

With the Mustangs i can gauge what they are by certain features. These are 2003's of course.

Single Exhaust = V6 = 15 sec car
    Dual Exhaust = GT V8 = Low 14
    Cobra etched on back bumper = Dont even try you'll lose bad.

With Camaro's/Firebird the same can be said.

Single Exhaust = Go have fun
    Z28 SS Emblem(if its real) = You'll lose, unless its raining
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.