N/A reaching its end - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on N/A reaching its end within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Jimbo I have to admit that I don't bother modding my S2000. The one mod I have ...

Originally posted by Jimbo
    I have to admit that I don't bother modding my S2000. The one mod I have done is a CAI which adds ~5WHP for $100. It is the only bang-for-the-buck mod you can do on the car. I even consider suspension and brake mods to be a waste of money on this car considering aftermarket parts cost a fortune and are only incrementally better than stock. The only other mod I would bother doing would be a Vortech or Comptech supercharger, each of which will set me back over $4K but will add 80 WHP.

I bought the Rex to satisfy my modding addiction

Jimbo
    My brother has an s2k his only mods are that intake snorkle or wateva and a toda header whick costed like 1g and he says its like the only header proven to add 10 hp but that he dont feel anything, he has the comptech supercharger sitting in his living room because hes not sure if he wants to put it in because he just sold his trbteg from all of the problems he kept having so he doesnt want to start another world of troubles..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by wrxpaul
    he has the comptech supercharger sitting in his living room because hes not sure if he wants to put it in because he just sold his trbteg from all of the problems he kept having so he doesnt want to start another world of troubles..
    If he keeps the S/C at stock boost and does not try to launch, he should be fine. Launching the car with the S/C will ruin the clutch and if you fix that with a performance clutch, the next thing to go will be the diff. Not worth it IMHO.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

Re: N/A reaching its end

Originally posted by keystah
    I've been reading lots of articles that are pointing to an interesting trend in N/A buildups. Upgrades that do more harm then good. And I am not talking about crappy products either. Nismo, mugen? I think the problem is that cars are being designed so efficiently, that there isn't much room left for improvement in these N/A engines.

Case #1: Dyno shootout of Celica GT-S cat-back exhausts. Average gain of just 3hp, with a reduction in power below 5,000 rpms in almost all cases. One exhaust managed 5hp.

Case #2: Mugen S2000. Super expensive carbon-fiber intake, stainless headers, and steel/titanium cat back exhaust. Probably $2,000 for this stuff, and NO GAIN in power. Whats worse, it actually lost about 5hp from idle to 6000 rpms. But it sounds good.

Case #3: Nismo R-tune 350z. Nismo Cat-back, Nismo headers, Nismo CAI, Nismo Cams. $4,300 in parts (Nismo is a rip-off) plus 20+ hours of labor (another $1,000?). Net result is a claimed 23whp, although on 91 octane gas SCC only saw 10whp gain.

Weak fellas, weak. Forced induction is better. A $400 reflash on a WRX could get you the same gains as the Nismo, and obviously just about anything can not improve performance.
    Force Induction3d

Have You Attempted Stumbo's $100 Challenge? Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    This thread delivers.
    QFT

Re: Strictly talking naturally aspirated:

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    I look at the V-8's (LS1's, anyway) as being restricted by the manufacturer due to noise, pollution, and mileage concerns that they must comply with. Whereas the smaller n/a 4 and 6's have an easier time meeting those requirements, but must be tweaked to get the most HP out of them from the manufacturer.

So my perspective is that the bigger V-8's are "detuned" essentially from the factory, which allows the aftermarket to really wake them up with tried and true formulas. Whereas with the 4's and 6's, there's just not much more that can be done better than what the manufacturers have already designed...

Of course, throwing forced induction onto an engine improves everything with regard to the HP factor.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12