WRX vs. WRX

This is a discussion on WRX vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was cruising aimlessly around Brooklyn last night at about 2:30am and I found myself on a deserted avenue ...

Talking WRX vs. WRX

So I was cruising aimlessly around Brooklyn last night at about 2:30am and I found myself on a deserted avenue in Boro Park (maybe 15th ave in the 30's or 40's). I thought nothing of it, because I was just wasting time and I enjoy getting lost (who needs GPS...I've got a compass mirror!).

At the same moment that I noticed that I was on a very long deserted one-way straightaway, what pulls up next to me as I approach a red light? None other than a blue stock looking WRX sedan. No other cars on the road. We kinda looked at each other like "what the hell?" and the light turned green.

I took off roaring because I'm just like that, and I assumed that this guy would be too. Unfortunately he wasn't so I slowed down after two blocks and let him catch up. As I was rolling at about 10mph, he pulls up next to me and we both just took off, full throttle.

My car is stock, and his must have been too, because we were seriously hauling, but pretty much stayed next to each other the whole time. I think that we hit at least 80mph, but it's tough to tell because when you're street racing, it's tough to pay attention to those things.

So two blocks ahead of us the light turns red, and as soon as I noticed it, I hit this freaky pothole that caused me to catch some air on a level surface. That didn't help me slow down at all, but my special secret weapon (ABS) did the trick quite nicely.

At the red light, we roll down our windows and he was looking just as shaken up as me (If he's reading this, I'm not calling him an amateur!). His girl says, "Whew, did you guys get that out of your system?". I tried to blame it on the girl that I was with--"She told me to do it!"--as she was still clutching the oh sh*t handle.

This race taught me a number of things.

1. A race can still be fun, even if both people don't care who wins. I may be wrong, but I doubt that either of us really felt that competitive since we both drove WRX's.

2. Street racing is exhilerating, but dangerous so don't do it.

3. The races in the Fast and the Furious (which I just saw two days ago) are complete BS. I'll be damned if I have the concentration to reach over and open my passenger's seat to turn on the nitrous in the middle of a race.

Anyway, if the BK dude reads this...good show last night man.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

great story! hey you can you put up a picture of your rims, once you get them?
    platinum wrx02 | please visit my online portfolio http://jackenigma.com

Thanks Enigma. I'll be sure to post pics next week, but if you want to see what they look like now, check out this guy's silver wagon:

http://www.sqc-ny.com/member/brian/brian.htm
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

You're in Brooklyn too?

I'm in Prospect Heights. There are two more at least in Park Slope. I haven't met either. Did you go to the i-club meet in Queens yesterday? Try to make one, we could meet up. Since you've found SQC, you get check the dates. I'm SQC # 24. The meets are a great way to get first hand looks at modifications. There are quite a few guys with upgraded turbos, injectors, etc. Occasionally, some of us will get together in Staten Island and have install meets. It's a great way to get to know your car and cheap way of getting mods done.

It's too late to register now, but you should consider going to Giant's Stadium next Sunday, the 21st, for the next NASA autocross. You can meet a bunch of us (we're all i-club members) and do a couple of fun runs. I suggest you come in the afternoon.
    http://www.nasanortheast.net/
    We Subarus have been consistently making a very strong showing. Of the 80 car pariticipation limit, we always have at least 12-18 Subarus from an XT6 and Legacies to Imprezas. We Subaru folks have a barbeque at the end and hang out a bit.

And do NOT street race in Brooklyn! That's my turf. You WILL be held accountable. (See profile.)
    Last edited by bedabi; 07-14-2002 at 10:13 AM.

Originally posted by bedabi
    You're in Brooklyn too?

Did you go to the i-club meet in Queens yesterday?

I'm SQC # 24.

Occasionally, some of us will get together in Staten Island and have install meets.

It's too late to register now, but you should consider going to Giant's Stadium next Sunday, the 21st, for the next NASA autocross.

And do NOT street race in Brooklyn! That's my turf. You WILL be held accountable. (See profile.)
    Nope, Sunnyside Queens.

Nope I don't have time to deal with two forums, and i-club doesn't hold a candle to clubwrx.

No pics on the SQC site? I'm going to join when I go to watch the time trials at Adirondack Speedway in August. I think that the head honcho is joing up there (Jon?)

Does someone have a garage w/ tools in Staten Island?

No autocross for me yet...it will only tempt me abuse my car even more than I already do.

Like I said...street racing is dangerous, don't do it in Queens.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    Nope I don't have time to deal with two forums, and i-club doesn't hold a candle to clubwrx.
    Agreed. But I do regularly check out the Tri-State forum for event updates. Unfortunately, CLubWRX.net's local forum hasn't really grown yet.

No pics on the SQC site? I'm going to join when I go to watch the time trials at Adirondack Speedway in August. I think that the head honcho is joing up there (Jon?)
    No pics. My car's exterior is completely stock. Won't make the time trials myself. As much as I would love to go to another track event, it's a little out of my budget right now.

Does someone have a garage w/ tools in Staten Island?
    We work on the cars right on the driveway and street of Paisan's house! Sort of like a potluck dinner - people bring jacks and lifts and torque wrenches, etc.

No autocross for me yet...it will only tempt me abuse my car even more than I already do.
    Doubtful. Tires do get worn quickly, but you're never even out of second gear! I see you've just bought some very nice performance tires and wheels, why not use them where they were meant to be used? On an autocross course or track!