Evo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so, my wife and i are driving up to boston to go to her graduation ceremony (Boston University, M.Ed., w/ ...

Evo

so, my wife and i are driving up to boston to go to her graduation ceremony (Boston University, M.Ed., w/ honors - w00t w00t). and along comes a loud red evo w/ MA plates (22P ---). it screams by, and i saw an exhaust that made me think, 'hmm... JIC?' it was a very nice looking exhaust, but the piping didn't look too thick. however, it didn't look 3". curious. ???

anyway, we do some nice runs on 95N. to add to the fun, a yellow carrera is on the highway too. it was quite a nice sight - red evo, yellow carrera, blue wagon, all zipping by. the evo and the carrera were at it for a while - probably to the carrera's surprise, it got smoked. to say the least, that evo in stock trim had some work done to it. am guessing it was running super rich as well, as the fumes and sight of white smoke were really bad. am surprised i didn't see flames.

i gave the evo driver a thumbs up, and he kindly gave me a wave, and we did a couple runs - i trailed in all of them. but pleasantly, i didn't get absolutely demolished, as i had been expecting, b/w speeds of 70-85.

my mods:
    fully catless exhaust (godspeed UP/DP + blitz nur spec R)
    pulley + hoses
    perrin short ram
    profec B set to 100 kPa
    custom mapped unichip

what's unfortunate is that i literally have an 1820 that's sitting somewhere, waiting to get installed after i finish exams. hopefully, i'll run into the evo once i upgrade my turbo. that should make it fun.

to make the story even funner, on my way back down from providence, i'm cruising on 95S - HID's in my mirror, and some red car coming REALLY fast - it was the same evo! couldn't believe it. i laughed and we did some more runs for about 15 miles.

a very fun ride - although i do feel a tad guilty for other cars on the road, as the sound of our exhausts together was one loud mother sucker of a concert.

now the bad part:

some truck on the highway had a hitch on the back, and it was dumping a lot of crap on the road - one of which was a rock that hit and cracked my windshield. the crack is about 6" long. i was totally pissed. am pretty upset, but, what are you gonna do. back in california, trucks like that would get pulled over. can't figure out the northeast, where potholes are the size of manholes, and you find trash cans, tires, and maybe if i'm lucky someday, a parked car in the middle of the highway.

was it still fun?
    heck yes.
    www.realultimatepower.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey Marcus, with the 1820 you'll beat most stock turbo'd evo's. However, if they have the now all too common recipe of intake, exhaust, cams, boost controller and afc, they'll be around 350 whp and it'll be closer...the same mods with a well tuned AEM I've seen 400 whp on the stock turbo

P.S. Neuro fu%king sucks
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

yeah, evo's w/ that mix (stock turbo) would force me to get a new block (and a new tranny) and a bigger turbo- something that i'm willing, at this point, to forego. w/ the 1820, i'll have to ready myself to be content, choose my fights carefully, and be happy w/ the evo's i do kill... for the time being.

micro sucks

path sucks

med school... sucks

Originally posted by NEwrx
    micro sucks

path sucks

med school... sucks
    Hey man, it only gets worse

Pics:

I Support ClubWRX
    Marcus, you need to get that 1820 in! Do you still need injectors? What's the hold up!? hehe more power!

Nice runs...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Hey MidKnight, any dyno numbers with the XS 450 yet?

Pics:

yep, i can't wait to do the swap. i'll let you know when i do it.

micro sucks

path sucks

med school... sucks

haha gotta show that to my girlfriend. We're always arguing about which is better or "more fun" dental school (me) or med school (her). We're still pre-med and pre-dent but a year or so away from applying. Anyways i thought that was funny. BTW how were ur undergrad grades and mcats if you don't mind me asking. She's pooping her pants worried about it

Sorry for the hijack marcus!!

Well, I dont know about Marcus (NEWrx), but a friend of mine just got into the same school I go to (UMDNJ-New Jersey Med School) with a 3.4 and a 30 on the MCATs. I remind him everyday how lucky he is. We have a handful of kids in our class that scored in the hi 30's and a buddy of mine got a 41 . Luckily I didnt have to take the MCATs too seriously. I went through an Accelerated 7 year program (3 undergrad, 4 med) and actually got accepted from high school. That was all based on high school grades and SAT's, along with activities, essays, interviews etc etc. I'm a nerd and I did really well on my SAT's, and that pretty much sealed my future in one morning. If you have any younger siblings or know ANYONE in high school interested in medicine or dentistry, I would HIGHLY recommend this program to them. There are many others around the country and they are also available for dentistry. College was a blast, and I was only required to maintain a 3.4 and get a 24 on the MCATs. These vary from school to school. Lots have more lenient GPA requirements and some dont require you to take the MCAT at all. Anyway, regarding dental school vs med, I must say, the dental students at our adjoining school (New Jersey Dental School) are DRIVEN to hell. Their classes start much ealier than ours and they're always in the library with their noses buried in a book. Of course some med students are like that too, but the vast majority (at least in my class and the class ahead of me) are VERY laid back. I guess that has to do with the scarcity of dental residencies, and god forbid you want endodontics or something! We med students have all pretty much resigned ourselves to the hazing and torture we will endure for the better part of a decade, so I guess we're all just pacing ourselves with regard to stress. Oddly enough, I'd have to say the best parties I've ever been at are med school parties. Our school is about a 30 min drive from Hoboken, NJ (just across the Hudson River from Manhattan) and has the most bars per square mile than any other city in the country . The post exam parties are always the best. I can't wait to see what goes down the night of June 3rd (last final - the dreaded Neuro). Our class just recently won a little contest and the school gave us a grand for the party. Good good stuff.

To sum it all up I'd have to say what my father's best friend told him while they were in school, and yes, he stole it from ****ens (he was piss drunk at the time): "It's the best of times, and its the worst of times," and I dont know if Marcus agrees, but i sure do 100%. It's incredibly stressfull at times but when you stop to take a look at what you're doing, its really amazing. You're learning the intricacies of the most marvelous machine ever devised, the human body. If you made it far enough to get into med school, you're obviously dedicated, and the intellectual stimulation is also very rewarding. But above all, it's that first time you see a patient. That first time you actually make a difference. That's when it all comes together and you know you've arrived. Sure it's nice to wipe your ass with a hard exam and get piss drunk after, but that's all just a perq.

Another great aspect I've noticed is the diversity of the class. I dont mean just racially, though it is VERY diverse, but everyone feeds off each other and, with few exceptions, there is a wonderful camaraderie amongst the students. I can't speak for other schools, just my personal experiences.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded reply, but when it comes to medicine/med school I can talk forever. If you or your gf have any other specific questions (interview strategies, what to ask when you go on a tour [that actually matters!], etc) just ask. I know Marcus (NEwrx) is really busy right now with finals too, but I'm sure he'll be willing to answer your questions as well. Good luck!

- Dave

P.S. Don't be afraid to ask people what they got for grades in college or on the MCAT's/DAT's. Sure it's a bit forward, but as you'll soon realize, med/dental students are the most hardcore academics on the planet. And any one of them that says they dont remember is full of $hit! And this is your future here, and if knowing their scores or whatever helps you in your app process in any way, ask away. Worse they can do is say no.

P.P.S. It's not all a bed of roses...We learned in psych that 1 in 4 med students suffer from some form of depression
    Last edited by BassMan097; 05-18-2004 at 11:53 PM.

Pics:

Thanks for the thorough reply. I feel you on the finals thing, i'm studying my butt off for my o-chem midterm on friday . I told my girlfriend about your situation and the 3.4 gave her a little hope. She's a little bit above that but has no idea how she is going to do on the MCAT's. Is New Jersey a D.O. school? My girlfriend was thinking about going into D.O. . What are your thoughts on the whole D.O. versus M.D. schools. Thanks again for the help. Sorry about the thread hijack, couldn't resist. I'll be PMing you soon probably (for my girlfriend). How do you have time to turn your car into such a beast? haha

-Chris

NJMS is an MD school. Regarding MD vs DO, I would rather have the MD, but a domestic DO degree is far better than a foreign MD. My friend that got in with the 3.4 was really involved with everything in college, and he interviews quite well too. Quite frankly I was surprised (PLEASANTLY) that he got in with that GPA and MCAT's, but hey, I was happier than he was. Some folks resort to foreign schools if they dont get in to an MD school. I would strongly advise against this. If it were me and I didnt get into an MD school I'd get a masters degree at the medical school I wanted to go to, which will help in the app process. Tell your gf not to worry too much, try and keep the gpa around 3.6 at least, and study her asss off for the MCAT's. They are huge. I know, it sucks, 8 hour test and all, but it's the biggest one she'll ever take. Just make sure she takes Kaplan or Princeton Review. Kaplan has testing centers with more materials than you could ever get through. When it comes to MCAT's, once you get your knowledge core down its all practice, practice, practice. You've got to do as many old exams as possible and know all the strategies. Medicine is so competitive that they had to change 90% of the exam to all passage based material. That is, its no longer good enough to just know the material. Apparently, everyone knows their material, so they had to add another challenging element into the mix, and that is deciphering the important material from scientific passages, and then on top of that using your knowledge to help you answer the questions. All I can say is that I was absolutely thrilled to not have to take a course or even take the test seriously. It was a true blessing. But then again, I sacrificed and worked harder in high school than anyone I know has worked in college. You've got to make a huge sacrifice sometime in the whole process. It's just the way it goes.

Regarding the car, I make time for my hobbies. You dont have to give up your life in med/dental school (residency is a totally different story, however. There, you do pretty much sign your life over to the program for 6+ years.), but at some times its pretty darn close to it. If you manage your time well, you'll be fine. I still have time to keep up season tickets for the Devils, work out 5 days a week, and I hang out with my friends in NYC/Hoboken/Atlantic City every weekend unless I have an exam the following week. I recently broke up with my gf of 2 years and at that point I'd have to say it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. You'll be stressed in school, no doubt about it; you dont need any other external problems to mess with your concentration. Besides, being single is awesome (you can leave that part out when relaying the msg to your gf ). Work hard, play hard...that's my motto.

PM if you need any other info. Dont wanna hijack this thread any further
    Last edited by BassMan097; 05-18-2004 at 11:52 PM.

Pics:

i'll put in my .02 after i finish path.

i'm at brown med, which also has a very similar program to NJMS - i got admitted in high school, and didn't even take the MCAT. programs like this are popping up everywhere. there's one at UCSD that, i think, mimics the program here at brown. that's heresay, not confirmed. but, there are a lot more schools doing it - northwestern, union, george washington, blah blah blah.

so, weren't we talking about evo's?

i'll tell more later. perhaps in the off-topic forum.

bass, i'll give you a call about putting the WG spring in. don't get it. but haven't really made time to get it, either.

1820: in
    650cc's: in
    fp: in
    fmic: soon
    tune: soon

wanna play w/ an evo now.

1820: in
    650cc's: in
    fp: in