Viper hunting? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Viper hunting? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We can say that stock for stock these two cars do not have anything in common. Like I stated earlier, ...

We can say that stock for stock these two cars do not have anything in common. Like I stated earlier, my brother has a 04 RT 10 and he has timed 11.9 @ 122 in the . The car was launched from idle when he ran the 11.9. He launched the car from 2500 rpms and ran an 11.7. With DRs he ran 11.5 with a 3000-rpm launch anything over that and he will roast the tires. The car is easy to drive and any meathead can run that car to a mid to high 12 sec the first time they drive it. Car has way too much power to be slow. He has never lost to an STI in the 1/8 or . He ran a 1.7 60 ft time from an idle launch. Car is awesome. If you ever see an Hispanic guy driving a silver and black 04 RT-10 in the NOVA area that will be him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why are the newer viper's all convo's? I HATE when companies make awesome cars like this convertible. It makes it heavier and lessens the stiffness of the chassis. Are they planning on making a coupe? I take it all your borther's times are in stock trim. I wonder what he would run with just some intake and exhaust work
    Last edited by BassMan097; 05-19-2004 at 07:39 PM.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Originally posted by BassMan097
    Yes, the viper is a beast, but it's not an exotic, not by a long shot. It's an American muscle car. And your explanation of torque was right on. I took a ride in my buddies 550 hp/520 lb-ft LS1 and every time he shifted it felt like he was launching...that being said, it's hard to keep the wheelspin down all the way through 3rd gear.

P.S. I've been really getting seduced by muscle cars recently. What did you do to the cobra to get it 465/485. I'm thinking of either a 02-03 cobra or C5. I'm not too familiar with the Cobra's upgrading stages. I know its pretty popular to do pullies, intake, exhaust, and a chip, +/- some nitrous. What does that get you whp wise? If I got the c5 I'd have to either boost it or do a full bolt-on with nitrous.
    just remember, bassman, that the 02 cobra didnt have the s/c. 03+ did.

if you got the c5, the turbo kits are super expensive (think spending the same amount on a turbo upgrade for your c5=price of a wrx) lol. if i had a c5, i personally would follow the n/a path. new intake lid, new full exhaust and a hot cam, and the car will be deep in the 11s. thats sick. ....then again with the turbo kit youre in the 9s.

and ps- i hope they make a coupe version of the viper like they did the first time around. should be even more hardcore.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Originally posted by Drod
    We can say that stock for stock these two cars do not have anything in common. Like I stated earlier, my brother has a 04 RT 10 and he has timed 11.9 @ 122 in the . The car was launched from idle when he ran the 11.9. He launched the car from 2500 rpms and ran an 11.7. With DRs he ran 11.5 with a 3000-rpm launch anything over that and he will roast the tires. The car is easy to drive and any meathead can run that car to a mid to high 12 sec the first time they drive it. Car has way too much power to be slow. He has never lost to an STI in the 1/8 or . He ran a 1.7 60 ft time from an idle launch. Car is awesome. If you ever see an Hispanic guy driving a silver and black 04 RT-10 in the NOVA area that will be him.
    hey, i'm moving back to nova this weekend from ct.....moving out to cascades but my wife's parents live in Mclean.....could you hook me up to get a ride in your bro's srt-10, i've yet to see one.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Originally posted by BassMan097

P.S. I've been really getting seduced by muscle cars recently. What did you do to the cobra to get it 465/485. I'm thinking of either a 02-03 cobra or C5. I'm not too familiar with the Cobra's upgrading stages. I know its pretty popular to do pullies, intake, exhaust, and a chip, +/- some nitrous. What does that get you whp wise? If I got the c5 I'd have to either boost it or do a full bolt-on with nitrous. [/B]
    I'm sure my buddy 03cobra will give you the run down on hp with each of the mods but I will tell you, I rode/drove his car only when he had the venom chip, catback, and I think he also had the pulley on at that time and that car was FAST....I mean you would punch it and start laughing because you could not believe how f'ing fast it was. It would instantly pin you to the seat. We went out a few times when I was in town "looking for a run" ;-) and we came upon these two guys in a new SS or maybe it was a TA (let mike clarify when he reads this), I remember it was white and we were driving down Rt 7 in Tyson's, VA when these guys cut across a lane to get up beside us to run. Mike waited for them to punch it and then we just blew by them like they were driving a yugo......slowed down to let them come up and they tried again......similar result...rappage.......we slowed again and they signaled us to pull off to a mcd's to chat. They could not believe how hard we took them and I think he had at least exhaust mods and an intake.
    We'd see a similar result anytime someone tried to run us with that car. Now, he eventually put on an intake that he tells me made the car "sick", I never got to go in it with that but hell, it was plenty fast in the modded form that I rode in. He had to sell it because he could not control himself when people wanted to run, its just too much to resist putting them in their place.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Actually, I was only running 395 RWHP at that race with the TA.

You want a 03 Cobra used over a C5 if you are looking for RAW power and excellent handling. A Cobra is cheaper to mod, cheaper to own, and WAY easier to get HP.

BTW: It takes a LOT more to get a C5 "deep" into the 11's my friend. Not a simple intake, cams, and exhuast. That will get you about a 12.3 or so... Basically a Z06 but heavier.

03 Cobra: 4.6L V8 32 valve 390 HP 390 TQ stock

Exuast upgrade = 45+ HP gain and 60 TQ
    Chip = 20 HP and 20 TQ
    Filter = 5-10 HP

This setup costs about $800 or so and yeilds about 400 RWHP.

2.80" SC Pulley + tune costs about $150 or less.
    Yeilds about 440 - 470 RWHP and 470-490 RWTQ

With just the above mentioned upgrades I ran a 12.0 @ 118 on STOCK tires @ 75F with only 3 tries and BAD SHIFTS!!! With practice and better tires you could snag a 11.5.

Put in a Cold Air system that works to allow the car to breath cause the 2.8 pulley pulls in WAY MORE air. Costs about $200 or less. Yeilds MASSIVE power gains with the above setup. I could NOT believe how the car woke up with this upgrade. Unreal!!!

Dont know times or HP with the CAI. I would guestimate about 40+ HP and 40+ TQ. Probably around 500 RWHP and 600 RWTQ based on my assometer and others who have tweeked the above and dynoed.

You can get a used 03 Cobra for about $28K+/-.... This car will SHOCK and AMAZE every STi owner out there when in modded form. It will also SHOCK and AMAZE yor friends when they sit in the passenger seat as you tell them to hold on before you stomp it in 1st gear from a 20 MPH roll....

Every friend I had just luaghed histerically when the car was launched. The could NOT believe how it pulled so hard. It felt as fast as a bike and pulled VIOLENTLY. Its the hit of the part my friends... And it will kill you VERY quickly. Better know who to handle it....

Last edited by 03Cobra; 05-20-2004 at 07:00 AM.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Oh yea, to give you some idea of how FAST and AWSOME the new SRT10 Viper is:

Take the 03Cobra I just mentioned. Capable of LOW 11 second runs.

The Cobra weighs 3650 lbs and has less meat on the rear tires. in cheap modded form it has about 500 RWHP and 600 RWTQ.

The SRT10 Viper wieghts over 200 lbs less and has MASSIVE rear tires = better grip. It yields around 520+ RWHP and 560+ RWTQ in only exhaust and filter upgrade.

Trust me fella's you will see some 10 second runs with excellent drivers.

I have seen 11.9 second runs with 2 STOCK Z06's. I have seen 11.6 @ 117 runs with same driver, filter and DR's.... Its about 250 LBs lighter than the SRT10 Viper but WAY less RWHP and less RWTQ.

The SRT10 Viper is by my definition, and most others, an exotic car. American muscle does not cost $80-$100K.

American muscle is a 03 Cobra or LS1 Z28....
    Last edited by 03Cobra; 05-20-2004 at 07:10 AM.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    CAn you PLEASE explain your "SUPERIOR LAUNCHING ABILITY"? PLEASE!

Perhaps in the hands of an amatuer or someone driving the Viper for the first 10 times.... The ONLY thing the STi has over an RT10 is the ability to learn to launch it faster. It will take a bit more time to learn to handle the monster TQ of the V10. That said, I will guarantee you that even a CRAPPY driver can pull a sub 5 second 0-60 (being that stock is 3.9). That might be 4/10ths slower than the STI's PERFECT lanch. So even if you get a perfect launch on a MODDED STi its still QUITE possible that the Viper will kill you in a run....

People... Unless you've been in a 500+ HP Viper and driven one, you are CLUELESS.... Thats the ONLY car I've been in that I honestly think would KILL my Cobra....

Hey an STi can be made to go as fast as you like. So can the Viper BTW.

Again, you really can not compare the 2 cars. The ONLY race an STI (modded or not) will take a 03 SRT10 Viper is a dirt/snow track....

-----------------------------------

As for a lesson on TORQUE... What exactly do you think you need EVERY TIME YOU SHIFT?

You think TORQUE only works off-the-line? Wrong! Every time you shift and bring the RPMs down, you bring yourself back into peak TQ. What does this do? It helps you "muscle" the weight into the higher RPMs. The higher the TQ the faster you will need to shift and the faster the RPMs will climb.

The TQ helps you under the load. Yea it helps you get something moving, but its also helps with the acceleration rate.

-------------------------------------

Hey the STi is a bloody fantastic car... But a SRT10 Viper?

Agian, bring ALL your mods and some NOS... AND PRAY the Viper does NOT have basic bolt-ons... Then you can FORGET IT!

Crist... The STi is SUPER fast, but your really not in the exotic car category....
    Damn man, calm down. I'm not arguing with you, I'm having a discussion. All of a sudden I feel like I'm on a SVT board.

First off, I don't have an STI. ****, I don't even have a car with torque. So what do I know? Lol..

And you're right, I've never driven a 500hp Viper nor have I driven a STI.

I was bringing up some possible points for you to consider...hopefully, if I was wrong, you would correct me..which you did...in a different manner than I was expecting, but whatever.

And I fail to even see where I said the STI would beat a Viper. When I said "superior launching ability" I mean that in the context of the STI's strengths and weaknesses. STI's get their great times from their ability to launch. I wasn't implying that it was superior to a properly launched Viper...sorry if you thought I was.

And torque between shift...I think you missed my point. Whatever, you are very adament about your thoughts and its no use really discussing them in this manner I guess.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Just give me a gutted CRX with a H22, some drags, and a big arse turbo. I'll wipe a viper with my fart rocket for less than 15k. (Trying to start a flame here)

So basically what you're saying is 28k for the car itself and at the most 2 grand in upgrades/tuning to get 500 rwhp and 600 rwtq?? Where do I sign?? By the way, how do the cobra's respond to a little nitrous on top of these upgrades?

Pics:

Why spry. Sell the current SC and upgrade to a Kenny Bell ver 2.4 and get 800 HP at the crank and then spray Nos to the aftercooler and get an extra 75 hp by cooling the air charge. Seen it done and the guy made over 750 rwhp.
    Last edited by Drod; 05-20-2004 at 12:13 PM.

I heard about the Bell upgrade. how much are they? If I buy it I'll prolly only have 2 g;s left over for mods, so I'll just do the CAI, exhaust, chip, and pulley to get started

Pics:

What a thread!

I followed two SRT-10's to a Viper Friends and Family Autocross class that one of the owners had invited me to. I was the last in line in our little convoy. I can tell you that they are absolute BEASTS. You know how quick the STi looks during a good launch? Well, they could do that at any given speed along our 60 mile trip. Not in the same league. No siree.

Brother has one and 04 SRT- 10 and the car is brutal. I do not consider it to be an exotic like an Enzo, F40, 959 and the high-end lambos, but the car can surely run with them. I am looking forward to the Ford GT and seeing it kick some exotic ass just like the Viper does. I could buy one today, but my wife would kill me. We are moving into a new house and she is more interested in the wood furniture, drapes and interior decoration of the house. So no bad ass rides for me. I have driven my brother and I mudst say that the car is much more refined than the Gen 1's and 2's.
    Last edited by Drod; 05-21-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Jeez Drod, we must be married to the same woman. My wife told me that If I buy one more toy shes going to shoot me. Two jeeps and a motorcycle and possibly a boat on the way, and just got rid of my four wheeler. Unforantely, I got rid of my wrx about a year ago. -scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.