WRX vs. Integra Type R - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Integra Type R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I raced an ITR from a stop twice and rolling at 60mph twice. The ITR had a coffee can exhaust ...

raced a type R

I raced an ITR from a stop twice and rolling at 60mph twice. The ITR had a coffee can exhaust and a sticker for an intake on it, so that is all I can guess he had changed out. I am completely stock.

From a stoplight we went to 100mph and I won by at least 4 car lengths each time, but I gained most of that in the first 200 ft I would guess and then a little more throughout the race.

From 60-100 it was a tossup. The first time I walked away. I was ready in third and the turbo must have been spooled. The second time we both nailed the gas and we stayed pretty even through third and into fourth, but then I started to slightly pull ahead. He was all thumbs up at me until he turned off. He had one passenger and I had none. It was definitely fun to see and I had to pat myself on the back a few times afterwards. I couldn't get rid of that **** eatin' grin for a while....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

remember we are comparing apples to oranges with a N/A car and a AWD FI car, but we cant help if these clowns are gluttons for punishment

My wife had a 97 CW Type R. Nice car but fast it was not. For years I had heard of how fast these things were. Well a 14.9 @ 96 MPH is not fast. And for highway speed, the car was okay. It was no rocket. With 195 HP Horsepower: 8000 rpm and Torque: of 130ft-lbs. @ 7500 rpm the car was very dificult to race in the highway. yes it did produce all of it's power at higher RPMS, but when racing cars that produced torque at lower rpm ranges it became quite difficult to run with them from a rolling start
    well yeah personally anything slower than a 13 is basically slow in my book, but remeber to take it for what it is a high strung DOHC variable valve i-4 with less than 2000cc's so, low end torque does not exist here, you basically have to beat the shizzle out of it because its powerband is really 5k+ (and without that close gearbox it would be pathetically and utterly useless).

Heh, its funny i have a freind that runs N.A.S.A challenge and SCCA road racing , and its funny to hear tales of a lowly 4th gen prelude walking all over itr guys on the track, " if you swapped in a H22, you wouldnt be as slow" its really hillarious, i think itr guys are a crossbreed between civic riceboys and M3/vette drivers, they have the cockyness but not the common sense to realize that displacement is their freind and thier place on the food chain.
    Edge of The Blade

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    The reason our topend sucks is because Subaru put an overly small turbo on there and then decided to retard the timing. Get a bigger turbo and some engine management and things will be very different.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Originally posted by Marcolus
    Heh, its funny i have a freind that runs N.A.S.A challenge and SCCA road racing , and its funny to hear tales of a lowly 4th gen prelude walking all over itr guys on the track, " if you swapped in a H22, you wouldnt be as slow" its really hillarious, i think itr guys are a crossbreed between civic riceboys and M3/vette drivers, they have the cockyness but not the common sense to realize that displacement is their freind and thier place on the food chain.
    All I know is that in the NASA northeast autocrosses, we WRXs get OWNED by ITRs pretty consistently. And that S2000s with their small displacement engines and RWD give the ITRs a run for the money. But then again, there's this Civic hatch with an ITR engine dropped in and major suspension overhaul that beats up on M3s, M Coupes, and SVTs consistently.
    The driver is VERY good.

I really think that most WRX drivers don't really know how to drive a turboed AWD car on a track or autocross course yet. I mean, this is the first season anyone could possibly drive one, right? I have witnessed quite a few of us literally fighting the car for on tight "S" turns that RWD cars take well.

Originally posted by WizardBlackWRX
    The reason our topend sucks is because Subaru put an overly small turbo on there and then decided to retard the timing. Get a bigger turbo and some engine management and things will be very different.
    As long as we have a small turboed engine, it's a catch 22, isn't it? If it came equipped with a bigger blower like the VF-30, I'm sure everyone would be complaining about the turbo lag, pointing at the GTI and its full boost by 1250 RPMs or something. Anyway, I guess if it were such a pain, we'd all trade our WRXs in for a *****in' Camaro before it's gone.

Edit: Since it was censored above, I wanted to point out that I was referring ot the infamous Dead Milkmen song in the 80's: "Beyotchin' Camaro". Boy, I'm showing my age, aren't I?
    Last edited by bedabi; 07-17-2002 at 11:13 AM.

Re: raced a type R

Originally posted by Scoobie Snack
    I raced an ITR from a stop twice and rolling at 60mph twice. The ITR had a coffee can exhaust and a sticker for an intake on it, so that is all I can guess he had changed out. I am completely stock.

From a stoplight we went to 100mph and I won by at least 4 car lengths each time, but I gained most of that in the first 200 ft I would guess and then a little more throughout the race.

From 60-100 it was a tossup. The first time I walked away. I was ready in third and the turbo must have been spooled. The second time we both nailed the gas and we stayed pretty even through third and into fourth, but then I started to slightly pull ahead. He was all thumbs up at me until he turned off. He had one passenger and I had none. It was definitely fun to see and I had to pat myself on the back a few times afterwards. I couldn't get rid of that **** eatin' grin for a while....
    What mods did you have when you ran the type r?
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

I guess if it were such a pain, we'd all trade our WRXs in for a *****in' Camaro before it's gone
    Now thatís a bad a$$ highway machine. With a few dollars worth of modifications 330 to 370 RWHP is feasible. I just get upset, when I hear some people, stating that they smoked a modified lS1 on the highway with a ITR. Specially when a stock LS1 will pull on most stock production vehicles on the highway. My wife had a 97 ITR. Nice it was, but fast not. Raced the car several time against my 97 Cobra on the highway, and I allways pulled on the ITR someting bad.
    Last edited by Drod; 07-17-2002 at 11:04 AM.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

How well a wrx do against a cobra? Stock.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)

Methinks you be feelin' the heat of the cobra exhaust should you engage unmodified.

Dave

Originally posted by WizardBlackWRX
    So are you saying a larger VF30 will produce less heat at higher RPMs? Then you could advance timing more aggressively?

Or will a bigger turbo charger produce more heat and force you to use an i/c water spray kit to prevent ECU from retarding timing?

Dave.

Originally posted by Dave99
    Methinks you be feelin' the heat of the cobra exhaust should you engage unmodified.

Dave
    Especially the new one. I don't like to magazine race, but C&D recently ran their test model at 12.9 sec in the 1/4.

I can't quite figure out what it is, but why do SVT Cobras look so much better than a Mustang GT? I know some body paneling is different, but does anyone know exactly what? Damn, those new Cobras look good!

I dont mean to offend anyone by my following post. I come from the honda world. Owning a prelude and have friends that have turbo integra's and all motor hondas. Currently 2 of my friehds have type R's. Exact same mods. A drop in filter with ram air effect and apex'i N1 exhaust.

He ran a 14.4 @ 98mph. My other friend has not run his car at the track yet however when they race they are always dead even. I consider both of them good drivers as well as myself.

I raced my friend that didnt run his Type R at the track yet and 2nd gear rolling from 40mph (at 40mph in 2nd gear the type R is NOT in VTEC yet) my WRX pulled out one car length and pulled out every slightly more. This is when he was STOCK. Since he got the intake and exhaust we raced again and this time 3rd gear rolling and he pulled out about a fender lentgh and then when I put it in 4th he pulled out a car length.

We raced one more time a couple days later and this time 2nd gear rolling at 50mph and we were dead even, put it in 3rd and I creeped forward about a foot or 2. And then put it in 4th and creeped out a little but more. This is when I was stock with the restrictor mod. Every race I had was with the restrictor mod.

TypeR's are'nt all that slow. True from a line a WRX will probably jump it and they will be playing catch up. But they are fast on the highway. I even beat a E36 M3 on the highway in my prelude before.

Take what I posted for what you will..i'm just putting in my 2 cents.

White rabbit,
    I'm guessing you know David and Dan Yi. Tell them that John says what's up. I also used to own a 99 prelude.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by whiterabbit
    I dont mean to offend anyone by my following post. I come from the honda world. Owning a prelude and have friends that have turbo integra's and all motor hondas. Currently 2 of my friehds have type R's. Exact same mods. A drop in filter with ram air effect and apex'i N1 exhaust.

He ran a 14.4 @ 98mph. My other friend has not run his car at the track yet however when they race they are always dead even. I consider both of them good drivers as well as myself.

I raced my friend that didnt run his Type R at the track yet and 2nd gear rolling from 40mph (at 40mph in 2nd gear the type R is NOT in VTEC yet) my WRX pulled out one car length and pulled out every slightly more. This is when he was STOCK. Since he got the intake and exhaust we raced again and this time 3rd gear rolling and he pulled out about a fender lentgh and then when I put it in 4th he pulled out a car length.

We raced one more time a couple days later and this time 2nd gear rolling at 50mph and we were dead even, put it in 3rd and I creeped forward about a foot or 2. And then put it in 4th and creeped out a little but more. This is when I was stock with the restrictor mod. Every race I had was with the restrictor mod.

TypeR's are'nt all that slow. True from a line a WRX will probably jump it and they will be playing catch up. But they are fast on the highway. I even beat a E36 M3 on the highway in my prelude before.

Take what I posted for what you will..i'm just putting in my 2 cents.
    So he beat you one time? I want to run an R.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)

Re: Re: raced a type R

Originally posted by BamBooI

What mods did you have when you ran the type r?
    No mods, I only have 2800 miles on the car. I feathered the clutch off the line and it works great, when it works. Sometimes I get a bit twitchy and instead of feathering, I end up popping the clutch and then the engine bogs for a second, which is NOT good for racing someone- especially at lower RPMs. I've found that the WRX is harder to tell when to shift as compared to my old 240sx... that engine would be begging for mercy when the RPMs got too high and I knew to change gears by the sound. I can't hear this engine screaming too much and I think I was shifting around redline each time.

yea he pulled ahead
    but every other time they are right there with me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast