WRX vs. Integra Type R - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Integra Type R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by EIonJess Take him out!! Please.....I have so many Riced out Hondas in my neck of the woods ...

  1. #16
    Registered User Dave99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    52
    Originally posted by EIonJess


    Take him out!! Please.....I have so many Riced out Hondas in my neck of the woods it is just sick!!
    Easier said than done. My WRX is fast off the line, but it's ponderously slow in 4th. 3rd is good, but 4th gear is too tall. Plus we don't have the AVCS (similar to VTEC) so our top end torque sucks ass. Ever wonder why the WRX torque curve plummets around 5500 - 6000 RPM? No AVCS + turbo not sized for extended RPMs. WRXes are gasping for air as intake airflow becomes very turbulent beyond 5500 RPM. WRX only has one cam profile. It truly bites.

    Ever seen an Integra's torque curve? It's a small peak torque but there are two distinct peaks because of the two cam profiles. The torque remains relatively flat all the way through redline. HP continues to increase all the way to redline compared to WRX HP, which drops beyond 6500 RPM. Oh, and Integra Type R redlines ~8000 RPM while WRX redlines ~7000 RPM where all the power is being made.

    I doubt that yellow Integra Type R was modified. That's what the Type R designation means - factory modded - NOT riced up. And it's a big friggin' difference compared to the normal RS or GS-R versions! I used to have an Integra and could have been convinced into an RSX Type S if the logical side of my brain hadn't intervened. I drove my buddy's Integra Type R and was amazed at the pull in higher rev ranges! Amazing. It handles way better than the WRX at high speed under power because it has a much more neutral balance and it also has a front limited slip differential. WRX desperately needs front LSD to reduce understeer under power!

    I'd love to stomp all over the Integra Type R, but it's a worthy foe and there is no shame in owning one! They are fast so watch out.

    Dave.
    Last edited by Dave99; 07-15-2002 at 09:01 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User EIonJess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    269
    Originally posted by Dave99


    Easier said than done. My WRX is fast off the line, but it's ponderously slow in 4th. 3rd is good, but 4th gear is too tall. Plus we don't have the AVCS (similar to VTEC) so our top end torque sucks ass. Ever wonder why the WRX torque curve plummets around 5500 - 6000 RPM? No AVCS + turbo not sized for extended RPMs. WRXes are gasping for air as intake airflow becomes very turbulent beyond 5500 RPM. WRX only has one cam profile. It truly bites.

    Ever seen an Integra's torque curve? It's a small peak torque but there are two distinct peaks because of the two cam profiles. The torque remains relatively flat all the way through redline. HP continues to increase all the way to redline compared to WRX HP, which drops beyond 6500 RPM. Oh, and Integra Type R redlines ~8000 RPM while WRX redlines ~7000 RPM where all the power is being made.

    I doubt that yellow Integra Type R was modified. That's what the Type R designation means - factory modded - NOT riced up. And it's a big friggin' difference compared to the normal RS or GS-R versions! I used to have an Integra and could have been convinced into an RSX Type S if the logical side of my brain hadn't intervened. I drove my buddy's Integra Type R and was amazed at the pull in higher rev ranges! Amazing. It handles way better than the WRX at high speed under power because it has a much more neutral balance and it also has a front limited slip differential. WRX desperately needs front LSD to reduce understeer under power!

    I'd love to stomp all over the Integra Type R, but it's a worthy foe and there is no shame in owning one! They are fast so watch out.

    Dave.
    You are right I am sure the Type R is a formidable foe against the WRX. I look forward to running one soon.

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale CA
    Posts
    40
    Fortunately for me, I have never had the displeasure of losing to an R at speed. I raced 2 so far and I am 2 for 2...the first one was from 40 mph to about 120mph. I had a good 3 - 4 (maybe more/maybe less) car lengths on him. he had the usual bolt-ons e/h/i (according to the guy)...second was from a stop light...I killed him...

    joe

    Oh my mods:

    Injen CAI
    3 inch turbo back exhaust
    Vishnu Uppipe
    Vishnu UDP & belt
    sbc-id boost controller & Power meter-id
    Vishnu unichip (special a la cart tuned)
    PE1820

    Soon to be installed: (just no time)
    Blitz FMIC
    sti injectors 565cc
    walbro fuel pump
    and of course, go back to Shiv for a re-tune...
    Last edited by valdezj; 07-16-2002 at 12:40 AM.

  5. #19
    Registered User slin02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    555
    Originally posted by valdezj



    PE1820

    sorry to say this, if you lost to an typeR, you should go hide somewhere else.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

  6. #20
    Registered User Marcolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    83
    reasoning i can think of here why you were not able to pull on him comes from a few factors:

    1) You are still using the factory td04, which really starts to run out of breath above 5k (hence youre lack of top end) :yuk:

    2) as above the r's short and close gearset will make the differeance of its inadequate (but flat) torque, and slightly higer rev range, when it all boils down to it its all about area under your torque curve that will "speed you over your adversary", weather it be gobs of torque in a small rev range or linear torque over a wide rev range, mathematics does not discriminate, area, is area.

    and most importantly
    3) we all know anything MSY (Maad skillz y3ll0w aka PY) will be victorious each time, it is a well known fact() that anything colored in MSY will instantly have any/all rotational/linear inertia negated therefore "High-Performance situations" will ensue

    if you get a larger slug, say a vf30 or bigger, there would be no reason, why you shouldnt absolutelly destroy him.
    Edge of The Blade

  7. #21
    Registered User WRXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Posts
    3,073
    Originally posted by slin02


    sorry to say this, if you lost to an typeR, you should go hide somewhere else.
    Maybe I'm misreading your post, but valdezj said that he hasn't ever lost to one (due to his mods was inferred, I believe), whereas tuboWRX barely beat one.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

    Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Posts
    570
    My wife had a 97 CW Type R. Nice car but fast it was not. For years I had heard of how fast these things were. Well a 14.9 @ 96 MPH is not fast. And for highway speed, the car was okay. It was no rocket. With 195 HP Horsepower: 8000 rpm and Torque: of 130ft-lbs. @ 7500 rpm the car was very dificult to race in the highway. yes it did produce all of it's power at higher RPMS, but when racing cars that produced torque at lower rpm ranges it became quite difficult to run with them from a rolling start.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

  9. #23
    Registered User slin02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    555
    I know, I was just being sacarstic.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

  10. #24
    Registered User TurboWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Morgantown, WV (WVU)
    Posts
    837
    ok the Type R has a helluva lot better top end than a barely modified WRX (mine until wednesday) so of course it will be close from a roll. i know from a stop i would have beat him no problem, but the WRX isn't exactly a highway monster on the stock turbo without MBC or chip. i'm sure i'll run into him again after i get my turboback on, and i'll let you guys know how that turns out, k?
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

  11. #25
    Registered User All8up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ashburn VA
    Posts
    530
    Originally posted by Drod
    My wife had a 97 CW Type R. Nice car but fast it was not. For years I had heard of how fast these things were. Well a 14.9 @ 96 MPH is not fast. And for highway speed, the car was okay. It was no rocket. With 195 HP Horsepower: 8000 rpm and Torque: of 130ft-lbs. @ 7500 rpm the car was very dificult to race in the highway. yes it did produce all of it's power at higher RPMS, but when racing cars that produced torque at lower rpm ranges it became quite difficult to run with them from a rolling start.
    I've seen many ITRs that could barely squeeze out mid 14's. Also note these are guys that would go to the track on a weekly basis. It is not unusual for the typical driver to run mid to low 15s with this car. The flip side of the coin....there are countless stock WRX's that can hit low 14's. It's just an easier car to drive.

    The ITR may have been above the standards back in the early production years but the field of competition has caught up.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Posts
    570
    all8up,

    How are the mods going? Are you happy with curry's automotive?




    Derrek
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

  13. #27
    Registered User WRXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Posts
    3,073
    Originally posted by slin02
    I know, I was just being sacarstic.
    Oh, sorry. Just checking.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

    Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

  14. #28
    Registered User BamBooI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    1,026
    Originally posted by Drod
    My wife had a 97 CW Type R. Nice car but fast it was not. For years I had heard of how fast these things were. Well a 14.9 @ 96 MPH is not fast. And for highway speed, the car was okay. It was no rocket. With 195 HP Horsepower: 8000 rpm and Torque: of 130ft-lbs. @ 7500 rpm the car was very dificult to race in the highway. yes it did produce all of it's power at higher RPMS, but when racing cars that produced torque at lower rpm ranges it became quite difficult to run with them from a rolling start.
    Rev it up and dump it and try to land in the powerband without spinning. Probably won't spin if you are >30 MPH

    Roger that.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    766
    Originally posted by All8up


    I've seen many ITRs that could barely squeeze out mid 14's. Also note these are guys that would go to the track on a weekly basis. It is not unusual for the typical driver to run mid to low 15s with this car. The flip side of the coin....there are countless stock WRX's that can hit low 14's. It's just an easier car to drive.

    The ITR may have been above the standards back in the early production years but the field of competition has caught up.
    I've got an RSX-S and I must say, I don't understand how your WRX's could lose to any Acura besides the NSX! Even a modified ITR should be no match for the WRX, shouldn't it? I've got a ton of respect for the WRX and if it wasn't so much money for all the options I probably would have seriously considered it!

    My friend has a WRX and he has some killer runs with my roomates '97 M3...that M is fast as s*** so to do that, you know its hauling some a**. I figure the WRX should blow any Acura, ITR, RSX-S, whatever (stock v. stock of course) off the line... I don't know about highway speeds, but I'd still think if the driver was good the WRX would have a big advantage.

    Acrua's are relatively slow off the line...you have to be up in that power band to squeeze out your power, whereas (I've heard) the WRX has ample power througout its RPM's. Hm, don't know...soon I will trade me friend and give it a rip and really see how fast your cars really are, but I expect to be dazzled.

    ON another note, can someone please tell me why there's so much in-fighting between different types of cars? I mean, the WRX is a great car, I thinkt he RSX-S is a great car. They're two different cars though...and honestly, i don't understand the lack of respect factor going around all these boards. jJust an observation of course.

  16. #30
    Registered User Dave99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    52
    Originally posted by All8up


    I've seen many ITRs that could barely squeeze out mid 14's. Also note these are guys that would go to the track on a weekly basis. It is not unusual for the typical driver to run mid to low 15s with this car. The flip side of the coin....there are countless stock WRX's that can hit low 14's. It's just an easier car to drive.

    The ITR may have been above the standards back in the early production years but the field of competition has caught up.
    Well I agree with your comments about the field catching up lately, but it ain't fully there yet.

    -WRX 0 - 60 is a cakewalk against ITR
    -quarter mile is close, but WRX should take ITR unless WRX driver is bad and ITR is good with launch and shifting
    -you see the trend? ITR beyond 100 MPH will gain more and more on WRX.

    So in summary, don't worry at normal cruising speeds below 100 MPH, which is where 99% of driving happens anyway. On the track or when things really get serious on the street ( ), watch out!

    Dave.
    "Ain't got no time fo' da gibba jabba!"
    Mr. T a.k.a. B.A. Baracus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •