Saleen Mustang?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Saleen Mustang? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well today my friend who owns a 04 WRX and I decided to see how well he could launch his ...

Saleen Mustang?

Well today my friend who owns a 04 WRX and I decided to see how well he could launch his car from 4000 rpms against my RS , and we are side by side when a white 96ish Mustang pulls up behind me. I thought it was a bit odd because it had a bulge in the hood, and a couple of gauges. Well my friend in the WRX launched and in a second he pulls like at least 7 cars in front of me, (He launched great) The Mustang in back saw that and then swings over and passes me which really doesn't take much, then I see Saleen on the back, then I hear his exhaust literally scream as he roasts the tires. At that point, we were going about 50mph with the Mustang just spewing smoke from the wheel wells, and he just rapes the WRX by at least 15 bus lengths. We ended up talking for a few seconds at the next stoplight and he said he was pushing 500 hp and he turned out to be wicked cool, complimenting the launch of the WRX saying that it was one of the coolest things he's ever seen, a little four banger jumping out of the hole faster than he could have ever imagined. For some reason I doubt he had a real Saleen, but on the other hand, I'm not sure about the power he was making. Is 500hp enough to roast the tires at 50 mph? Was it really a Saleen or just badging?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Saleen Mustang?

Originally posted by ILikeMy2.5RS
    Is 500hp enough to roast the tires at 50 mph?
    My god yes.

Was it really a Saleen or just badging?
    Maybe. Or it could have just had badging and a supercharger.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Thanks for the quick reply, my god, that was such an awesome sight. Looks like the next car will be a new Cobra in the next generation bodystyle.

Can't beat those new Cobra motors!

I Support ClubWRX
    Steve has produced some wicked cars. A s-351 dragging in stock form is probaly one of the coolest cars. The s-281 is also a quick little car in it's own right. Wtih 500 hp in a RWD car you could pull smoke well into the 60 let alone 50 mph range.

Saleen ownz Roush
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    Can't beat those new Cobra motors!
    Yup...Cobra guys are dyno'ing in the ~380whp range stock. A couple of bold-ons and they're into the 400's pretty easily.

How are those Cobras rated on saftey and realiability? I'm really seriously going to be stuck on either an STi, Cobra, or an Evo for my next car, as my car is getting to be annoyingly slow.

Re: Saleen Mustang?

500hp enough to roast the tires at 50 mph?
    My GT is making 455 rwhp, and with street tires at the top of 2nd gear (just about 60 mph), my tires break loose and the car starts twisting a little. It doesn't happen with drag radials though. He probably had a centrifugal supercharger, like I do, where you make your peak hp at or near the redline.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

How are those Cobras rated on saftey and realiability? I'm really seriously going to be stuck on either an STi, Cobra, or an Evo for my next car, as my car is getting to be annoyingly slow.

I had a 1997 Cobra and it never saw the inside of a service deparment.I was rear ended and driven into a tree and I walked away from it. The car had 7k in damage, but my brother who owns a body shop fixed it right.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 302@12psi

Saleen ownz Roush
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

500 should be more than enough... i just installed my blower and am able to roast the tires at about 45mph.. sure it looks cool, but sucks for racing from a stop. I am guesstimating i am putting down about 470rwhp.. will know for sure in about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by mike01svt; 05-13-2004 at 01:01 PM.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

I Support ClubWRX
    If it was an older car the saleen probaly has (I'm believe Paxton on them) on them but his newer one uses his saleen Series II Postive displacement blowers...low end torque (I.E. Lighting/ 03 cobra) is where it's at.

I'm still debating if it's paxton or vortech on the saleens...i cant remeber.....grr it is 1 in the morning so I guess I cant be held to responsible.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If it was an older car the saleen probaly has (I'm believe Paxton on them) on them but his newer one uses his saleen Series II Postive displacement blowers...low end torque (I.E. Lighting/ 03 cobra) is where it's at.

I'm still debating if it's paxton or vortech on the saleens...i cant remeber.....grr it is 1 in the morning so I guess I cant be held to responsible.
    edit they use the screw type s/c for their new stuff... I didnt know they used other s/c 's for the older cars
    Last edited by mike01svt; 05-14-2004 at 08:12 AM.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Steve has produced some wicked cars. A s-351 dragging in stock form is probaly one of the coolest cars. The s-281 is also a quick little car in it's own right. Wtih 500 hp in a RWD car you could pull smoke well into the 60 let alone 50 mph range.

Saleen ownz Roush
    It's funny how we WRX drivers have burn out envy. Roasting the tires at near highway speeds is cool, but can be very cumbersome when launching. I've owned a few vehicles with traction issues..... My WRX still amazes me with the ability to launch in pouring rain!
    2004 WRX

Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    Roasting the tires at near highway speeds is cool, but can be very cumbersome when launching.
    your telling me!! its great to have all this power, but racing from a dig is very hard, plus the IRS doesnt help either. I would love to do 3,4, and even 6k dumps like the awd people, but the only way that will happen is with slicks. keeping my power to the ground was hard when i was stock.. now with about 500 it is extremely hard.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast