Mopar st1 SRT4 and Caddilac CTS-V

This is a discussion on Mopar st1 SRT4 and Caddilac CTS-V within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well after driving my car like a grandma during my break in period (new EJ257) over the past months, my ...

Mopar st1 SRT4 and Caddilac CTS-V

Well after driving my car like a grandma during my break in period (new EJ257) over the past months, my car is finally seeing some action. First race was last week, it was my car with two passengers (one guy weighs 255 and the other is 270) and the other car was an SRT4 w/ Mopar stage 1. We ran two times, the first race was from a 30mph roll which I started out in 2nd gear and he started in first. I took the jump and was able to hold a 2 car lead till about 75mph where I proceeded to put bus lengths between us. The second run we both started in 2nd gear and I simply just ran away from the start, my friends commented on my speedometer and I look down to see the needle buried at 140 and my tach was @ 6500 rpms in 4th gear.

This week I go to a racing hang out to meet up with a few guys and on my way there my friends call me to say they just raced a Cadillac CTS-V (400hp z06 powered sedan) and got killed. As if it was on que as Iím approaching the hangout I see the CTS-V, and he proceeds to follow me to the lot where everyone was at. We all got out and talked for a bit and checked out each otherís car. After taking a good look at the CTS-V, I can safely say I would take that over the E46 M3 any day! The car is very muscular looking and the interior fit and finish was on par with European auto makers. Anyways, we all leave to find this abandoned road and since all of us were so indecisive this process took several hours. Well we find the road we were looking for and it is the moment of truth, me vs the CTS-V. I have one passenger (+220 lbs) and the CTS is just carrying the driver. My friends parked up at the middle and end of the street to catch a view. We agree to go from a second gear roll at 30mph and on three honks we are off. I couldnít really see what was happening, but it seemed like every time I gained a car, he would cut it down to a half, by the time I was at the top of 4th gear I was ahead by a car lenth and strangely enough I was actually starting to gain more. Regardless, Iím sure if I shifted into 5th he would have overtaken me. We race again and the results were similar, but I was able to observe what happened, he stayed very close through 2nd gear and through a part of 3rd, but by the top of 3rd I have put a car on him and by the time we got through 4th gear I was ahead a little over a car by the time I hit 130mph. After the race we all went back to my house to talk about how the race looked from everyone elseís prospective and to exchange numbers. We all had a great time and Iím sure this will not be the last time I run against my new acquaintance since he in the process of building up a SR20DET powered 240sx.
    In addition to the previously mentioned cars, there were two stage 3 WRXís and a WRX w/ turbo back, Iíll save their races for another time.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what is a 257 swap?

is that a 2.5 with engine rebuilds?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

EJ257 is the USDM sti shortblock.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

Was that last night? I fell a sleap and woke up at 11:00 PM. Did you get to see the movie. To bad I missed the race.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Wow, I really thought the SRT-4 would have been a better contender than the CTS-V. CTS-Vs run the quarter mile in the high 13s (13.7 at 107 MPH, according to Car and Driver) stock, which isn't too impressive. I would think that a Mopar stage 1 SRT-4 from a roll would be much faster than that. But, then again, it is probably all in the driver.

Good kills.
    Last edited by zoophagy; 05-08-2004 at 10:58 AM.

I dont think a mopar stage 1 traps 107.
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

Originally posted by zoophagy
    Wow, I really thought the SRT-4 would have been a better contender than the CTS-V. CTS-Vs run the quarter mile in the high 13s (13.7 at 107 MPH, according to Car and Driver) stock, which isn't too impressive. I would think that a Mopar stage 1 SRT-4 from a roll would be much faster than that. But, then again, it is probably all in the driver.

Good kills.
    We all know different publications get different times, Road and Track were able to get a 13.4 @109mph, putting that aside the guy hit 13.1 @ 110 mph @ MIR.

Regardless of driver skill the SRT-4 was way outmatched by my car and the CTS-V. The amount of distance I was able to put on the car wasn't even funny. Seeing that I took away my obvious advantage of a launch, I am shocked I was able to pull both these cars at hwy speeds.

Drod,
    Yes this was lastnight. The movie was pretty average at best, but the theater in Fairfax Town Center is top notch.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

A question about your block. Did you just buy the $1200 block and put it in. No mods just the block ?

what kind of gains did you see from it ?
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    A question about your block. Did you just buy the $1200 block and put it in. No mods just the block ?

what kind of gains did you see from it ?
    I have an upgraded head built by Axis, but the block itself is stock with a 2.5 RS head gasket which puts my compression to 8.5 to 1. Gains, well I have to go dyno now since I just put on a FMIC and changed my intake. I can tell you this much, the increased displacement and head work lets me spool the 20G faster than I ever spooled the vf30 on the 2.0.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

Good kills.
    Car and Driver sucks, plain and simple. Didn't they run better times in a stock STi than a stock 2003 Cobra? I love my car as much as the next STi owner, but when stock, it was definitely not as quick as the Cobra.

Today I drove a Z06 at the Auto Show in Motion in Raleigh and that car pulls like a raped ape. Torque is just everywhere, no boost required.

Now I realize the CTS weighs more and might be slightly detuned, but based on figures alone I'm sure a decent driver could muster a run in the low 13s.

Nice runs with the CTS-v, though, I hope someone finally drags one to the strip so I can see hwo I match up!
    2004 STi, Java Black Pearl
    www.cardomain.com/id/2004wrxsti

Best ET 4/24/04
    12.38@109

Wow, I really thought the SRT-4 would have been a better contender than the CTS-V. CTS-Vs run the quarter mile in the high 13s (13.7 at 107 MPH, according to Car and Driver) stock, which isn't too impressive. I would think that a Mopar stage 1 SRT-4 from a roll would be much faster than that. But, then again, it is probably all in the driver....
    Trapping stock @ 107+ is wicked. Hundreds of grandpas can now kick many a stage 4 and SRT a$$ especially from a roll and definitely not because of the driver.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by virpacalis
    Trapping stock @ 107+ is wicked. Hundreds of grandpas can now kick many a stage 4 and SRT a$$ especially from a roll and definitely not because of the driver.
    Yeah, I was wrong. I thought that SRT-4s trapped higher than what they do. I assumed that becuse they were FWD that they would have to have be running higher trap speeds to get lower E.T.s (unless Subarus). But I was incorrect.

Oh well. My car will beat a Stage 1 SRT-4 or a CTS-V roll a stop or a roll.

Stage 1 does not do much at all, I think it only brings hp up like 10 to 240 and doesnt do much with torque either. Stage 2 is pretty nice though, hp goes up to 265 and torque to 280. I had a very good, close race with a Stage 2 SRT a few nights ago. If I do end up getting rid of the Evo, the SRT with a Stage 2 is what I will be looking for.

I own the STi and the CTS-V and can verify that 0-90, the STi should have a carlength. However, once the STi shifts into 4th, the CTS-V starts closing the distance. Once 100 MPH is reached, the CTS-V is walking away hard. Of course, this is stock vs. stock.

Forget the magazines - just think logically - Turbo AWD 4-cylinder with 300 Crank HP vs. NA RWD 8-cylinder with 400 Crank HP. Once harnessing the power is not an issue, the CTS-V has the advantage.

Seeing that the WRX was the unquestioned victor here, I am interested in knowing about spool on the 18G with the EJ257. I have plans for a GT30R on my STi and imagine spool would be similar.

Originally posted by E. Nick
    I own the STi and the CTS-V and can verify that 0-90, the STi should have a carlength. However, once the STi shifts into 4th, the CTS-V starts closing the distance. Once 100 MPH is reached, the CTS-V is walking away hard. Of course, this is stock vs. stock.

Forget the magazines - just think logically - Turbo AWD 4-cylinder with 300 Crank HP vs. NA RWD 8-cylinder with 400 Crank HP. Once harnessing the power is not an issue, the CTS-V has the advantage.

Seeing that the WRX was the unquestioned victor here, I am interested in knowing about spool on the 18G with the EJ257. I have plans for a GT30R on my STi and imagine spool would be similar.
    You are lucky to have such fine cars in your stable. I am considering trading in the wife's IS300 for one as soon as I can convince her she does not want an SUV.
    The GT30R is a larger and superior compressor than an 18G so I do not think you can compare the two. Regardless I've seen postings of the FPGreen, which would be a better comparison (mitsu/garret hybrid) get over 22psi @ 3800 rpms.
    e46 M3 (new toy)