A lil run with a S4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A lil run with a S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Tonight on my way home, I stopped by to get a soda at a gas station. I see a guy ...

A lil run with a S4

Tonight on my way home, I stopped by to get a soda at a gas station. I see a guy filling the tank in his silver S4. I went in and got my soda. When I came out he was still there. He asked if I want to make some runs. So I started talking to the guy. He just got done putting a Garrett (SP) chip and a catback. Must've cost him a couple of grand. He wanted to see how he would do against a WRX. He wants to run on a highway. Now, all of you should know how WRX is on a highway. It's not that crappy but it's not a Vette killer either. Besides, his car is chipped and has a catback. I've heard numerous times that a chipped S4 can really pull. As luck would have it, my Unichip is on its way to Shiv for a re-program to accomodate few parts I have sitting in my room(VF34 and injectors.) So I am currently stuck a turboback and some intake parts. What makes it worse is that I reset my ECU yesterday and running less than 14 psi. Excuses, excuses... I know...
    So I said sure, I'll run. Just don't stomp on me too bad.
    We got on the highway and he signals. From 3rd we went and he gained about 2 car length immediatelly. I was thinking wow, that thing really pulls... he kept pushing but he was gaining slowly than before as we got on to 4th. We slowed down for some traffic. As the road cleared, we went at it again, almost same result.
    For the third time, we reduced the speed to 2nd around 4500rpm. He signaled and we went at it. It was much better in 2nd but still he gained about 1 car length immediately and slowly pulled away. He got about 3 car length in front of me until we reached 5th.
    I have raced a stock (or what it seemed to be stock) S4 and pulled away slightly. That chip really did its job I guess.

We talked for a while afterward. He said his boost spikes to 20 and settles around 17. I am thinking if I get my Unichip back in and up a boost a bit, I'll probably stay even or close. We talked about hooking up to go to the track so we will find out soon.
    Hopefully I can pull on him with a new turbo and injectors...

So I wait patiently until next week...

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Doug,
    You should have redirected him back to the plaza where Tony was waiting. I thought you only lost to a chiped S4 at metro by a half a car length and that was before vishnu 0; Only an ebc @16psi.

Peace,
    Terence

PS: Yeah, I found this baord. check the MR2 Turbo vs WRX thread. hehe

I've read your post three time and I have NO idea what you are talking about

Originally posted by HeavyFooted3SGT
    Doug,
    You should have redirected him back to the plaza where Tony was waiting.
    I thought you only lost to a chiped S4 at metro by a half a car length and that was before vishnu 0; Only an ebc @16psi.
    Who's Tony? plaza? metro?

Doug

Originally posted by HeavyFooted3SGT
    Doug,
    You should have redirected him back to the plaza where Tony was waiting. I thought you only lost to a chiped S4 at metro by a half a car length and that was before vishnu 0; Only an ebc @16psi.

Peace,
    Terence

PS: Yeah, I found this baord. check the MR2 Turbo vs WRX thread. hehe
    Perhaps you are thinking this is Dug-e-fresh instead of Dougeefresh? It confuses me all the time....
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

That's what i thought too.
    This happened all the time in i-Club but now people are used to it.

Doug

Dougeefresh,

Why did you choose a name so close to dug-e-fresh anyway?

-Jim

I have been using this nick for about 10 years in various places.
    I found out after a few months in i-Club that there is a guy called dug-e-fresh.
    It's just a conincident. I am in no way related to dug-e-fresh. We did talk about our names and he's cool with it so I am cool.
    So there it is.

Doug

Originally posted by Dougeefresh
    I have been using this nick for about 10 years in various places.
    I found out after a few months in i-Club that there is a guy called dug-e-fresh.
    It's just a conincident. I am in no way related to dug-e-fresh. We did talk about our names and he's cool with it so I am cool.
    So there it is.

Doug
    AAAAaaaallllllrighteeeeeeethenn.

I was just curious.

-Jim

Re: A lil run with a S4

Originally posted by Dougeefresh
    We talked for a while afterward. He said his boost spikes to 20 and settles around 17. I am thinking if I get my Unichip back in and up a boost a bit, I'll probably stay even or close. We talked about hooking up to go to the track so we will find out soon.
    Hopefully I can pull on him with a new turbo and injectors...

So I wait patiently until next week...

Doug
    I don't think any of the chips spike at 20 psi, but I could be wrong. Either way, he WILL fry his turbos at that level. The stock turbos push 10 psi. At about 17 psi, people tend to see problems. If all he gained on you was a couple of car lengths and you did not have your car running at its peak, then something doesn't sound right. You should be close with your upgrades though. Isn't it fun to run against another car that is more equal in performance?

I have a friend with the chip and his car runs 16 PSI. He has cat back exhaust and he runs a 13.1 in the 1/4.

Originally posted by 2001S4

I don't think any of the chips spike at 20 psi, but I could be wrong. Either way, he WILL fry his turbos at that level. The stock turbos push 10 psi. At about 17 psi, people tend to see problems. If all he gained on you was a couple of car lengths and you did not have your car running at its peak, then something doesn't sound right. You should be close with your upgrades though. Isn't it fun to run against another car that is more equal in performance?

This is from GIAC, Garrett chip manufaturer:

Here is a dyno plot from a US spec 2000 S4 6-spd (with an off the shelf GIAC XXXgl01s, all 2.7T tip/motor get these settings) as tested at UPRD- this is the same exact car recently tested by a third party and they were present for this testing. (Unfortuneately for their first test, the GIAC ECU was damaged in shipment). This test shows ~315 crank HP (208 wheel HP), stock 250 crank HP (165 wheel HP)

This is from Vishnu Performance, maker of Stage 0:

On the Dynojet, expect 220-225 wheel horsepower.See Dyno Graphs. At the Drag Strip°¶
    0-60mph: 4.5-4.6 seconds
    ®ý Mile: 13.1-13.6 seconds @ 100-102 mph

dug-e-fresh on this board as well as on i-Club ran 13.0xx with just the Stage 0 so above claim is realistic.

I had Stage 0 + full 3" turboback(10 hp) MINUS Unichip. So if everything is what it's supposed to be, I should be around 200-Whp without the Unichip conservatively speaking.

S4: 208 WHP (w/ chip) + catback(5WHP) = 213 WHP w/ ~3600 LBS

WRX: 200WHP (Stage 0 MINUS Unichip + 3" Turboback) w/ ~3100 LBS

Both not counting driver's weight

Yes, you are right. Something doesn't sound right.

Doug

those #'s dont seem right

are you sure you are using the right drivtrain loss formula 315hp=213rwhp that seems low. i don't know maybe its the ways of awd
    99 m3

ecis cai
    jtd underpanel
    bridgestone S03's
    more to come!

Re: those #'s dont seem right

Originally posted by 99 m3steve
    are you sure you are using the right drivtrain loss formula 315hp=213rwhp that seems low. i don't know maybe its the ways of awd

He's quoting the hp for an Auto S4, I'm sure the MT S4 would show higher #'s.

Good run btw, I'm hoping to find a race with one soon
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Re: those #'s dont seem right

Originally posted by 99 m3steve
    They say AWD cars lose more power than FWD or RWD.
    315 Crank = 208 Wheel. That's 34% loss! That much?

Doug

I'm pretty certain the drivetrain loss on WRXs is nearly exactly 40%.

There's been tons of research done on this Downunder
    A FWD also has less drivetrain loss than RWD, because the wheels are closer to the engine.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.