WTF just happened? Cobb stg II wrx vs b20 all motor crx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WTF just happened? Cobb stg II wrx vs b20 all motor crx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got my Stg II setup completed and was out looking for someone to run me As a stock looking ...

WTF just happened? Cobb stg II wrx vs b20 all motor crx

Just got my Stg II setup completed and was out looking for someone to run me As a stock looking WRX wagon, it was hard to get ppl to take me seriously. That is until I ran into this CRX si...
    This thing was a total sleeper. if it wasn't for the exhaust and the gauges in the cockpit, no one would've given it a second look.

I asked the guy if he wanted to run at the light and he agreed. I had him followed me out to the city limits to avoid traffic. Results:

From the dig: I got the jump on him with the brake torque while he spun out but he pulled next to me near the end of second gear. by the end of second my stock turbo was peaked out and his vtec kicked in pulling 1 car ahead. It stayed that length til the end of third when my turbo was flat again and his vtec pulled another car length. We went to 100. Lost by 1- 1 1/2 car length.

From 5 mph roll: Managed to hold him til around 50 then he put his front bumber ahead me. Again, near the end of 3rd around 80mph he put a car length on me. Not as bad as from the dig?

From 40 mph roll: Same result

WTF happened? Are those all motor CRX swap that good? or is it cuz my setup sucked and I need to shoot my wife for wanting a auto? After the race I HAD to ask him what he had. All he told me was that he swapped for a B20 with a B16 head or something. I'm pretty sure he was running catless too but thats all I know since he wouldn't pop the hood.

A VTEC handed me my arse today. I have a bruised ego now and am not looking forward to racing the S2000 this weekend

Anyone know what those b20 all motor crx are running?

EDIT: Just remembered that he said something about a crv or crvtec or something... HELP!
    Last edited by AsianWRX; 05-04-2004 at 11:00 PM.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Weight difference maybe?
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Originally posted by josnroh
    Weight difference maybe?
    Ahhhhhh yeah.
    /:

civics and mustangs scare me sometimes. they have the potential to look like absolute $#!t, but one out of 20 will put a whoopin' on ya. i wouldnt underestimate an all motor hatch in the hands of a capable tuner/driver.
    i know a guy out here with a turbo'd hatch and if you couldnt see the FMIC you'd think it was absolutely stock. stock muffler, no gauges... but it'll pull on a 400whp Supra though...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

It's funny you post this cause about 2 nights ago i ran a 99-00 civic with a B20 block, B16 head, port polish, I/H/E...he was a tad cocky untill i walked away from him on a 45 roll, cool guy though.

...so anyway, I dont know why you didnt win. 50shot maybe? Who knows.
    I created my avatar.

Originally posted by josnroh
    Weight difference maybe?
    How much do those hatch weight anyways?
    07 RDX

Originally posted by CKxx
    It's funny you post this cause about 2 nights ago i ran a 99-00 civic with a B20 block, B16 head, port polish, I/H/E...he was a tad cocky untill i walked away from him on a 45 roll, cool guy though.

...so anyway, I dont know why you didnt win. 50shot maybe? Who knows.
    What's your setup?

Sounds like you fair a lot better than me. The sound of his engine will forever scar me.

WEEEEEE!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WIIIIIIIIIII!!!
    07 RDX

AUTO + 1000lbs = you lose.
    2000 WRX

Originally posted by geronimo66
    AUTO + 1000lbs = you lose.
    I think he was putting at least 170+ to the wheels with that setup too....

I think you have the misconception that i prolly have most of the time due to the fact most hondas on the street are jokes.

Then i read your post and get the impression that since your Cobb Stage 2 you shouldnt be losing. Your car is quick not fast. You might be able to crank out a 13.9 at the track with your setup.

Here is my recommendation for you if you cant stand losing to hondas. Granted there is "still" always a honda out there that will be faster than you but this will narrow the list a bit.

VF22(wait your cobb so go with VF34 since they have maps for it)
    STI Injectors
    Walboro Fuel Pump
    Make sure your fully catless
    High Stall Torque Converter

This should put you low 13's maybe even high 12's.

Originally posted by skyjock41
    I think you have the misconception that i prolly have most of the time due to the fact most hondas on the street are jokes.

Then i read your post and get the impression that since your Cobb Stage 2 you shouldnt be losing. Your car is quick not fast. You might be able to crank out a 13.9 at the track with your setup.

Here is my recommendation for you if you cant stand losing to hondas. Granted there is "still" always a honda out there that will be faster than you but this will narrow the list a bit.

VF22(wait your cobb so go with VF34 since they have maps for it)
    STI Injectors
    Walboro Fuel Pump
    Make sure your fully catless
    High Stall Torque Converter

This should put you low 13's maybe even high 12's.
    Not quite rdy for the turbo upgrade just yet. My wallet is still hurting from the recent upgrade. I'm serious thinking about having the TC mod but it sounds very complicated and my wife can't have down time with the car

That mofo was fast, I'm not messing with those crx swaps for awhile, and surely not from a roll. maybe with a TC since that thing (the crx) had a hard time hooking up. Thanks for the advice!
    07 RDX

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a little basic backround that I've gathered with crx's. If it is an HF body (Bare bones...it doesnt even have bumper supports) that car weights right around 1700 lbs depending on driver. The "SI" models weight a little more but still most likely not over 2200 lbs. The CRV part of the post i believe they take that head (or block) and mate it to some other head (or blocK) and they get some crazy top end vteck motor.

As for my experiances with these little cream puffs, I borrowed a friends crx while he did a FP and springs on my car. He had a HF with a t-25 1.6 non vtec motor in his car. He was running some kind of street slick at the time, and it was a rocket. Anyone that says FWD has no place in racing should take any equivilant car and line up next to that crx, I bet on any track with me (A crappy driver) I wouldnt be any more then half a car back. They can be very very scary in the straights and the turns.

I guess it all comes down to your gut instinct. ANd that most ricers have given us a false pretense of all hondas being slow. If they guy knows what he's doing...like anything else they can be lighting quick.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    Just a little basic backround that I've gathered with crx's. If it is an HF body (Bare bones...it doesnt even have bumper supports) that car weights right around 1700 lbs depending on driver. The "SI" models weight a little more but still most likely not over 2200 lbs. The CRV part of the post i believe they take that head (or block) and mate it to some other head (or blocK) and they get some crazy top end vteck motor....
    When he told me that thing was all motor after the race, I S@$T my pants but was perfectly believable even though he wouldn't pop the hood. I didn't see a FMIC and I didn't hear anything that might've sounded like one during the race.

I was expecting to get a jump on him big time with my torque but he hung right in there. Whatever he did with that engine he got some torque behind it too (mated with the weight). He told me that the block isn't a vtec but he got a b16 head for the vtec? Wha?
    07 RDX

As an ex-honda owner I have a decent bit of knowledge regarding swaps. The thing about hondas is that you don't know what you're running against because almost all their motors are interchangeable.

The b20vtec you speak of is basically a great combo of honda motors. It takes the crv 2. liter motor and the better flowing vtec head of either a b16,b18c1(gsr), or b18c5 (typer). Just by doing that with no internal work can get a crx in the 13's. Now if you throw in tuning you get a n/a beast in sheep's clothing.

When I was a honda owner I did the basic swap and put a b16 in my hatch. It was far from fast but it was quick. I raced my friend at the track w/ his b20vtec hatch and he handed me my ass.

If it wasn't for all those damn ricers out there, Honda would get a lot more respect.

Originally posted by 03WREX
    As an ex-honda owner I have a decent bit of knowledge regarding swaps. The thing about hondas is that you don't know what you're running against because almost all their motors are interchangeable.

The b20vtec you speak of is basically a great combo of honda motors. It takes the crv 2. liter motor and the better flowing vtec head of either a b16,b18c1(gsr), or b18c5 (typer). Just by doing that with no internal work can get a crx in the 13's. Now if you throw in tuning you get a n/a beast in sheep's clothing.

When I was a honda owner I did the basic swap and put a b16 in my hatch. It was far from fast but it was quick. I raced my friend at the track w/ his b20vtec hatch and he handed me my ass.

If it wasn't for all those damn ricers out there, Honda would get a lot more respect.
    WOW! that was very informative. Kinda made me feel a little better after hearing how potent his motor was. I guess I'm lucky to even hang with him a carlength back. *sigh* I'll never look at a honda the same way again, especially the sleeper ones. Thanks!

-Mark
    07 RDX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.