Owned by a WRX. (SRT-4 here)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Owned by a WRX. (SRT-4 here) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I see this WRX pulling onto Route 6 same time I do, and he nodded and asked if I wanted ...

Owned by a WRX. (SRT-4 here)

I see this WRX pulling onto Route 6 same time I do, and he nodded and asked if I wanted to run. I had a passenger in my car, and running 18 PSI. Idling at the light, his car sounds like crap. The engine is like fluctuating getting louder then lower, etc. Very deep, deep rumble, much different than my friend's WRX with a Turbo XS Stealth-back. 2 people so far told me that means he must have a nice new set of camshafts and most likely some more headwork and internal work done (because you just don't do cams, supposebly).

So the light turns green and it sounds like he dropped it at 6000 RPMs, his car just took off, skidding from side to side and it just been out. I had to baby first gear until 4000 RPMs when I gunned it then punched it into 2nd (which I get traction now) and I by the time I ended 2nd gear he was already an easy 5 cars ahead me. So he shut down because there was a car in my lane (or he knew I had no chance).

So we out in the open again and from a 35 mph roll (2nd gear), we go - and I get the jump on him until 3rd gear when he starts to pull on me and by the end of 4th gear he had 3 cars on me and still pulling hard. Now I can understand having trouble with a WRX from a light, but from a roll I thought I could do much better.

So I call my friends and ask them if they know what this kid has, and they say they know he has full exhaust like up-pipe, turbo-back exhaust, boost controller, but they don't know what else. Other people also say he HAS to have a bigger turbo like a VF34 + the internal work done like I mentioned before which made him idle like crap and uncontrolled. Since he races for money, nobody knows what he has in his car. So I'm saying, if I'm putting down about 260 to the wheels, how much does that make him?

Where is Stage 3 when I need it?

- Chris.
    Slow Neon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, if he did have cams I'm sure he had a bigger turbo than any VF XX turbo. A stage 4 WRX with a VF30 will put down about 275-285whp. Even if he had 260whp like your ride, 260AWHP will pull on a 260FWHP car, but it sounds like he pulled pretty good on ya, could have been a vf3x or 22 on some race gas. You can get a bit over 300AWHP with that setup. Like I said above if he did have cams he would most likely have a much larger turbo. Cams for the WRX are alot of $$$, we do have 4 to buy. So IMHO if your gonna go through all the trouble for cams your gonna get headwork done and run a large turbo. What he had for sure though is anyones guess..

my $0.02

-Fess
    05 STi Silver/Silver Goodness!

I see. Thanks a lot for your response.

I posted the same thing over at Nasioc.com and they're acting much like 9 year olds. This forum rules.
    Slow Neon.

Originally posted by Khryz
    I see. Thanks a lot for your response.

I posted the same thing over at Nasioc.com and they're acting much like 9 year olds. This forum rules.
    You posted in OT, what did you expect?

/:

If he had cams and say a FP green or bigger, he would of pulled much harder than 3 cars. He might of been a stage 4 with a vf22.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

big turbos in WRXs are common, internal work is not. glad to see someone is beating an SRT-4 . thanks for representing your 'kind' so well on clubwrx. we are glad to have you here...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by 1fastsubie
    Even if he had 260whp like your ride, 260AWHP will pull on a 260FWHP car

-Fess
    If my intuitions are correct.... 260whp=260Awhp=260Fwhp ect. Since the measurement is at the wheels, all the losses trough the transmission and drivetrain have already occured, so barring traction problems 260whp=260whp regardless.

If you were on different dynos with different altitudes and conditions though that is a variable.

With regards to crank hp, 260 @ the crank on a Fwd or Rwd will pull on 260 @ the crank from a roll all else being equal due to drivetrain losses.

If I'm wrong, (which happens often) disregard this...

Hope this helps, and welcome to the club.

well i think he meant that 260hp going to four wheels > 260hp going to two wheels. going on my own logic, i disagree (except where traction is an issue), but that doesn't mean that i'm right.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Re: Owned by a WRX. (SRT-4 here)

Originally posted by Khryz
    The engine is like fluctuating getting louder then lower, etc.

My car does that when I have the a/c on, as with every other wrx (and probably every other car).

My car sounds like it's camming a little at idle.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

i like honest domestic owner like you who admit that he lost to an import. some domestic owners doesn't like the fact that some import can be faster than their car.

i doubt that he has cams work because it's too much money and not really needed until really big turbo. with that money for cams, we tend to save it for a new set of tranny gears instead (which is our weak point). did you get to see his huge fmic? however, the way you describe your death made it seem like you got roasted pretty bad and even from a roll too. that wrx must got a lot of heat. nice death nonetheless.....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

good race. doubt he had cams from the story you told. cams aren't a very common mod for people unless they want to spend big money and also have an equally big turbo to warrant that need.

if you're putting down 260whp and you all started from a 35mph roll, the wrx would of had to been on race gas or have a large turbo. i'm almost thinking a good 20g.

this is all speculation, though.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

It may have just been an atmospheric BOV causing the rough idle.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

yea, nobody cams the stock motor anyway, that would be kinda pointless. you have to pull the motor to do it. hassle, plus if you are making the power to utilize a good set of cams, then chances are the stock motor is going to go soon, so why bother. cams are more common i would guess on diff. stronger motors.
    oh but damn good runs regardless, im sure he was packin'

I'm wondering if the WRX was using Launch Control via the UTEC. That could explain a strange sound, but it would be more like a series of loud bursts getting faster and faster. It would allow them to launch at near full boost though, which would explain a side to side ferocious launch perhaps. Just a thought. If I raced for money, I would definitely use Launch control to ensure the best start I could.

Chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast