Mini Cooper S in family.

This is a discussion on Mini Cooper S in family. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got to see my cousin's new Mini Cooper S today. His is a dark grey color with a white ...

Cool Mini Cooper S in family.

I got to see my cousin's new Mini Cooper S today. His is a dark grey color with a white roof and blue leather interior. At first I really didn't like or dislike Mini Coopers, but after seeing his I like them alot. The interior looks very very nice. ALOT of chrome and very retro dash and gauges. The interior reminds me of a Audi TT combined with a racing motorcycle theme. The car is much bigger inside than it looks. As far as speed, seat of pants feeling is it feels about like my Civic SI, but I didn't time it so I could be wrong. My cousin also saw my WRX today for th first time, and really likes it too.

I think we are going to the local drag strip tomorrow to test our cars out. Its like 10 bucks to race your own car. I have never raced my WRX at a track before. Any guesses how will I do verses his Cooper S?
    Last edited by Lightsped; 07-10-2002 at 09:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I test drove a Cooper S at Patrick BMW back in March before I got my WRX, when they were only demos and you couldn't buy one. It was fun to drive, and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I was getting thumbs up from nearly everyone, including senior citizens. Really fun car, handles well for FWD, but it's lacking in power even in the supercharged form when compared to the WRX. You'll destroy him. Be kind to your friend with his new car, and don't embarass him too badly.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Be kind to your friend with his new car, and don't embarass him too badly.
    hehe poor guy, my father really likes this car. I'd probably have one of these in my garage if I was a multi-millionare heh. I heard they were as heavy as a Celica GT.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

If they had a blown version (or one with a hot NA motor with about 100 hp/liter) I would have bought one instead of the WRX. Cool car.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

tan
    The Mini Cooper S is a blown motor, a eaton supercharger to be exact.

Nexus: you do know it costs around $20,000 for a Mini Cooper S

Originally posted by tan
    Nexus: you do know it costs around $20,000 for a Mini Cooper S
    Not so. The dealers are getting a huge mark up on these cars. (Unfortunately... typical BMW!)

-Jim

Not so. The dealers are getting a huge mark up on these cars. (Unfortunately... typical BMW!)
    yea they are like 42grand or somtrhing outrageous

They are sexy little cars.

Fas
    They're not 42 grand. A kid I know got one for getting a free ride to college and his parents paid 27 for it. It was the S too. With the sport package. They're pretty inexpensive.

well he got a great hook up deal..i saw 1 go around here for like 38

Saw one in the tech center yesterday. MUCH bigger than the older generation go-karts (a colleague in the UK had a couple - they were scary to me, but I'm 6'8").

Kinda cool. Had a friend go to a SCCA event recently and there was one there that was schooling everybody on 4 wheels - can you say, "Driver Skill"?

SO

I too road-tested the Mini Cooper S. Salesman was cool, just tossed me the keys and let me take it out by myself. Love the way it handles, taut and tight.

However, with the sport package, 17" rims and the dealer's $2,450 mark-up, the sticker price was more than my WRX, let alone Subaru dealers having inventory so you can undercut the sticker price.

For pretty much even money, I'll take the extra 65 hp and AWD, thank you very much. Also didn't care much for the interior of the Mini relative to the WRX. The Scoobie is all business, seems like the Mini is trying too hard at cuteness, retro style or whatever. Just didn't do it for me, though it's very much a matter of personal taste.

And yes, you'll humble that poor Mini in a straight line. I flogged that demo: it was an even match for my previous car (Celica GT-S) but no match for a WRX.
    Old, but not slow.

Had a friend come over the other night with his new Mini Cooper S. Great car. It does feel quicker than it is, and it handles very well. He bought it to autocross, where the Mini is cleaning it's class up (his fun car is a Shelby Series 1).

I would wait to purchase one though if I were inclined to buy one - BMW is testing an "M" version with about 220hp right now. That would put it very close to WRX territory.

Mini Cooper

I also test drove the mini cooper before i bought the wrx. It is a rockin little car not as quick as a Rex as far as I could tell. Also the closest dealer to me is like 100 miles away. BMW did a great job bringing back these cars. The Sheet metal design is beautiful the interior I fund to be alittle plasticy. It is amazing how they get so much interior room in that little car. The front of the Mini Cooper S reminds me of a Big Healy like a 3000 or the like. Beautiful cars in their own right.
    2002 WRX Wagon WR Blue
    Orvis Dog Rear Seat Cover