Friendly highway run w/ a Pontiac

This is a discussion on Friendly highway run w/ a Pontiac within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When it comes to American muscle cars, I would say I have very little knowledge about what car is what. ...

Friendly highway run w/ a Pontiac

When it comes to American muscle cars, I would say I have very little knowledge about what car is what. I know the basics and know to steer clear of the z06, ws6, ss camaro... but I don't know what the base cars are capable of.

So I'm driving home after a nice trip to San Diego and theres mild traffic. I see a newer style pontiac trans am (at least thats what I think it was) coming up from behind in a 'sprited' fashion. It's been a nice drive so far but I haven't had any action so I figured this guy may want to run. I had my doubts because I had 2 other passengers in the car and we were already going about 70mph... those are some pretty big disadvantages for my WRX.

Well, traffic clears in front of us and I see him move out from behind me and start to accelerate. I shift down to 4th and punch it... I see him coming but his momentum stops and I start to pull away. I'm pretty surprised by him not gaining and I stop due to traffic ahead. I probably managed to stay about 3 cars ahead up to 110mph... given that I was already 1 car up, I managed to pull another 2 cars on him.

At this point I was thinking maybe he wasn't trying because I didn't expect that outcome. So after driving a few more miles and following this guy traffic clears again but this time I'm behind him. He gets on it again going about 70mph and he starts to pull pretty decently at first but then his momentum stops and I start to pull and pass him up by about 100mph. I let off once I pass him and slow down to get next to him. I finally see that it's a middle aged fella. He looks over w/ a big grin and gives me a wave, I return the gesture and I get back into cruise mode.

I'm real curious as to what these cars are capable of because I really didn't think I would have pulled at all. I was just hoping that I could hang with it. Can someone shed some light as to what motors these have and their potential. I'm assuming this was a base model, probably an auto v6 or something. I guess that's not very impressive but it was still fun.

Oh, by the way I'm a Cobb stage 1 w/ exhaust

Cliffs: Raced a trans am but most likely the base model. Pulled a couple cars on it from 70mph-110mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    There's not really a such thing as a base level Trans Am, as a Trans is trim level of Firebird. Firebirds are the base level model, and they are powered by a 3.8L V6 putting out a disappointing 200hp. Next up is a Firebird Formula, which is cosmetically identical to the base level except for a Formula badge behind the front wheels, dual exhaust outlets (except on the '98 model), and its 5.7L LS1 V8, which is rated by Pontiac at 305hp ('98-'00) or 310hp ('01-'02). Although this is its claimed power rating, it is generally accepted that they are underrated, as some of the newer models dyno more than that at the wheels stock. Above the Formula is the Trans Am, which has the same engine and same power rating, but has a leather interior, raised rear deck spoiler, revised front fascia, fog lights and T-tops standard (although they were an option on the other models). There is also the Trans Am WS6, which has most notably, a more agressive hood and 17" wheels. Power is up to 320hp or 325hp (depending on year). They dyno about the same as regualr Trans Ams or Formulae. There is also the WU6 package, which makes the Trans Am into a Firehawk, which has different 17" wheels, a different hood, and various other upgrades and decorations. Horsepower is between 330 and 345hp depending on options (I believe, I don't know too much about Firehawks).

Thanks for the clarifiaction zoophagy. Good info.

Smile

Well said, Zoop! The Firebird V6's can look very much like a Formula or TransAm to the casual observer, much like an RS with foglights can be easily mistaken for a WRX.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

May have been a v6, but I could also see your car pulling an older LT1 A4 Trans Am on the highway. They don't have nearly the top end of the LS1 in the newer models, but are still good cars.
    2004 STi, Java Black Pearl
    www.cardomain.com/id/2004wrxsti

Best ET 4/24/04
    12.38@109