Stock WRX vs Stock STi!

This is a discussion on Stock WRX vs Stock STi! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I got the chance to meet up with a guy from the forum (real small world) just now and ...

I Support ClubWRX

Stock WRX vs Stock STi!

So I got the chance to meet up with a guy from the forum (real small world) just now and he has a nice black 2004 STi. We both went for a ride in each other's car. He'd never been in a WRX, and I, although having test-driven an STi, had never been passenger in one with someone who changes gear so well and aggressively!

After having a ride in each other's car which was mucho fun, we proceeded to have a few races with each other.

First race was from a stop. I have never been so humiliated. STi did a 'pseudo'-launch without much effort, whilst I proceeded to bog something horrible. STi was LITERALLY a mile down the road before I hit 3000rpm.

I decided to give the whole 'from-a-stop' race a miss, so we did a race from 20mph (1st gear for me) and a race from 40mph (2nd gear for me):

(Note that there were NO cars at all infront of us or around us at this time.)

20mph race:

I got the jump (because I went (slightly) first - oops!) but STi came back and had me before 40mph and proceeded to thunder away till around 80mph where we slowed.

40mph race:

Likewise, STi just completely destroyed me. It wasn't as if I was driving a Civic LX or anything, but the STi just has more power. I'd probably need a few $K in mods to keep up. I think, apart from the power, the thing I enjoyed most about the STi was the sound it makes. It's a very low rumbling that makes even the rumbling of the base WRX sound 'thin'. Very nice indeed. I didn't get any pictures this time, but I will very soon hopefully, since the STi owner lives only a few minutes from me.

Good times!
    2010 SSM STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice death! But nice kill for the sti guy

better to lose to an STI than some other car
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

My thoughts (from the guy driving the STI):

First off, I'd like to say I was very impressed with the power of the stock WRX. Having never ridden in/driven one, I was very impressed by the wide powerband. Pulls very nicely through the gears, very similar to my chipped/TBE GTI 1.8T, but, I would say a bit faster with better high rpm pull.

The first race, as explained by Wil, wasn't really a race... I left slightly early, with a pretty well executed "mild" launch, and was off and running. My leaving early coupled with a poor launch by Wil made it a rather un-impressive, (and pretty much unfair) race for the WRX.

The rolling runs were a little better, the 20mph was timed pretty well. We were running uphill. I didn't notice much of an early jump, but, I will say I hit the rev limiter in 3rd (oops!), and shut down after I had some carlengths on the WRX.

The 40 mph runs were also about the same. The STI seems to jump out pretty quickly, and then walk from there.

All in all, it was great fun. It's nice to finally have another fellow Subaru owner/enthusiast in the area.

We're planning a drive on Hwy 60 from Zumbro Falls to Wabasha, maybe we could get a few more Subaru drivers together? Trust me, that section of 30-40 miles would be WELL worth a drive from the MPS area.
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, t'was good fun. of course I was in 5th the whole time (with my handbrake on).

2010 SSM STI

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice race. If I had more $,I would be in Sti heaven.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

wow, such modesty from the STi owner. sounds like it was a good time... and i enjoy hearing about the mutual respect you have for each other's cars.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    wow, such modesty from the STi owner. sounds like it was a good time... and i enjoy hearing about the mutual respect you have for each other's cars.
    o-|-<) bryan

It's easy to be modest when you realize that there is always something faster out there, no matter what you drive.
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

Sounds like fun. I wish there were other Impreza owners around here...

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    better to lose to an STI than some other car
    Nice death!
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com