Mustang Cobra R?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mustang Cobra R? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yes, I realize that I would be better off posting in a mustang forum, but, there seems to be many ...

Mustang Cobra R?

Yes, I realize that I would be better off posting in a mustang forum, but, there seems to be many people here that know quite a bit about mustangs, so here it is:

Whilst embarking on what was the best 80 miles I've ever driven my STI, I saw a unique looking mustang pull out in front of me.

It was black, with pretty aggressive ground effects, and had a wing bigger than my STi. On the back right, below the tailights was a big red "R", but, kinda like an Integra Type R R. At first, I thought "Cobra R", but, then a few things stood out:

1. It was almost as high off the ground as a V6
    2. It had dual exhaust, but, with pretty wimpy looking pipes
    3. The wheels were aftermarket, with more "bling" than performance, and couldn't have been more than 235's in width.

I did some further searching, and all I could find was a VERY expensive (60k) limited production Cobra R, from 2000. Possibly only sold in red.

So, was this guy dressing up a GT or V6 Mustang to look like a Cobra R you think? Did I spot a case of American Uncle Bens?

BTW- For anyone in SE Minnesota, I'd STRONGLY recommend driving Hwy 60 from Zumbro Falls to Wabasha, brand new black top, with very well banked curves, elevation changes and many 25 and 30 mph caution signs. 30 miles of bliss.
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Woah! I was reading this and thinking to myself - that Mustang sounds exactly like a Mustang I see in Rochester, MN from time to time. Are you in Rochester or near there? It's a BLACK Mustang with a 'wing' (being polite) and red 'R' badges all round it.

**EDIT**

Waa! I just read your post again, - it MUST be the same one. The wing is really odd, and the wheels are huge and VERY shiny. I know where the guy lives too since I see the Mustang parked outside of his house when I'm driving home.

You drive a black STi? I see a black STi parked outside one of the IBM buildings when I drive home... is that you?
    Last edited by WilliamG; 05-02-2004 at 08:14 AM.
    2010 SSM STI

Yep, thats me. The black STi parked outside of IBM 664-3. For now, I'm not sure if there are any other black STI's in Rochester, let alone ANY sti's (maybe a WR blue one). Kinda a curse, if you ask me, if I make an ass of myself street racing, everyone I race pretty much knows who I am if they see me again...

Yeah, the guy was pulling out onto 55th St from the development to the east of the douglas trail.

So, whats the deal with his car? I've seen some other pictures of the 2000 cobra R, and it sure seems his wing is the same style, but, much bigger.

Small world man!
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so we absolutely have to get together. I've stopped NEXT to your car about 3 times, to see the difference in scoop size!! How weird is that! I'm stalking your car!

PM coming your way!

Small world!
    2010 SSM STI

I'm sure what you saw was a V6 dressed with the Cobra R stuff on it. A True Cobra R only came in red and had side exhaust. It also had just a V6 Mustang back in. The R that you're talking about was not on the original Cobra. The original tires were 265/40's....
    Here's a pic of a real 2000 Cobra R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cobramw11.jpg  
    2001 GT Mustang - Supercharged, 351RWHP...352RWTQ-old #'s
    Newest Numbers 401RWHP 392RWTQ..and tomorrow it will be higher

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah the Mustang 'R' (fake) isn't like that. It was black, same looking wing, but different exhausts and bling wheels.

FAKE FAKE!
    2010 SSM STI

there is this guy who drives around my town who has a cobra-R look alike... we call it the cobra-GT, and we call him 'fakie'... all he does is drive around town like he doesn't have a job...

highly doubt it was a cobra R. those are pretty rare, and there are VERY MANY people that dress their GT's or V-6's to look like an R or saleen
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Yea I'd say the height is a big give away. Those Cobra R's have a really aggressive stance, and that is saying something considering how aggressive the Cobra's stance is. I've only seen one type R. The Cobra brochure says they are typically taken directly to a racing type application. Not sure how accurate that is, but I can say I've only seen the one.

Para

I am mildly fascinated with the 2003 Cobras so here's a little more info you didn't require. The 2000 Cobra was the last R created. It was the third generation of the R edition, which was also produced in 1993 and 1995. There were 300 of them made in 2000. I'll drop the link in here just in case you wanna read the full background information.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mustang_cobra.asp

Para

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The only Cobra Rs I've seen were on display at the ford drag races,they are so rare i doubt you'll ever see one on the road.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    HISTORY CLASS IS IN SESSION:

The first Mustang Cobra "R" was made in 69 (might have been 70) and was offered in the fastback model and had a 429 motor in it.

The second one was in 93 which had a 302 in it with some other basic bolt ons. It had blacked out 94 gt wheels on it and again was very underrated in the HP numbers.

The third was offered in 95 and has the "Cobra R" wheels that are very popular on most aftermarket stangs. The 95 was powered with a 351 W and that car was only sold to people with SCCA lics. ( I Think or some other kind of racing lisc. was required to purchase one) Saleen also modded a few I think and this was the base for his s-351 cars.

The fourth one was in 00 and was offered with a N/A 5.4 liter motor and lacked many creature comforts like A/C, radio, backseat etc. I've only seen four of these and they were all trailor queens. Most people were outraged at the high cost of these and the dealers mark ups but ate up the performance.

I believe thanks to most mustang owners crying about the 00 R created a firm market for the R and D on the 03 cobra. All mustang owners wanted was a fast car, with radio, and under 35000. Gee...three years later the 03 comes to the market and has the ls1 guys crying "It takes a blower to beat us, give us a blower and see who wins". Even through back in the day when the 93 base line cobra was made we were kicking tail and never complianed they had 48 more cubes then us. Go figure

Class is dismissed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

i know the cobra R is cool and limited production but....
    i would be so fricken pissed i had bought one. they sold for over $50,000 dollars and had no a/c, radio, backseat, etc....

2 years later they intoduce the 03 cobra. Not only does it have a/c, radio, backseat, but its also FASTER!!! not to mention that since it has a stock blower it can be modified for easier. and it was all this at a price that was $25,000 less than the cobra R

I WOULD BE SOOOOO P!SSED
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 302@12psi

Class is dismissed.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    I saw a red Cobra-R a few weeks ago off of Camden Road in Campbell, CA. I just said to myself, "No way, there goes a Cobra-R." I had never seen one in person until now. Too bad I couldn't have lined up next to him, and gotten smoked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast