Mazda RX-8 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Mazda RX-8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Rich10 Am I the only person who thinks that there are too many stylized "rotors" on the ...

Ike
    Originally posted by Rich10
    Am I the only person who thinks that there are too many stylized "rotors" on the car?
    Very cheesy, and I'm not crazy about the smiley robot looking frontend. Overall it's a great looking car and handles like a dream, but just not enough umph for me. They have also replaced many engines in North America (Over 100 by most estimates) and have been out of backstock here for months, so those that do need a new engine are having to wait for one from the assembly line in Japan. Then there's the horrible gas mileage with some reporting as bad as 14mpg with mixed driving.

I like them quite a bit, but only if it's someone elses, or if someone buys one for me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they should have put a huge "NO PISTONS" windshield sticker on the front. The car is veeery incomplete without it....disappointing car.
    I would have also preferred a little more rotary motif please
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i think they are one of the better looking cars on the road right now. especially in that nice metallic blue color.
    i see a lot around here on nice days.

mazda made a big mistake with the power of that car. it would be SOOOO much nicer with some power to back up the looks. it handles great, looks great, feel great, but just doesnt have a punch. i think the car needs another 40hp.
    they made a huge mistake? thats why you see alot of them?

Just because people buy the car doesn't mean it's a good one.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by el~sharko
    they made a huge mistake? thats why you see alot of them?
    I see a lot of them too....

Sitting in the same spot at the dealership for months on end.

I would love to have a RWD car w/ that kind of handling prowess, but the lack of power and (IMO) FUGLY styling completely turns me away from the RX8. The thing just looks like it's Saturn's attempt at a sports car. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I may go test drive one for fun one of these days since the local dealer has had a dozen or so on their lot for as long as I can remember... I've ridden in them before and would like them if they weren't severly under powered.. add say 100hp and we'd have a great car.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I actually don't agree with everyone here. I took one for a test drive, and maybe the dealer i went to was better than others, but they designed their test drives to give the driver lots of onramps and long, tight, fast, coners to test the car on, as well as some traffic and freeway driving.

Sure the car did not have all the torque you get with a lot of cylinders, but then again, neither does the WRX. To get the rx8 up to speed you have to get into the higher rpms, i think it was at about 5k or so, it picked up. Anyways, i just felt that it was a very stable and capable car.

we always could use more power, hence then endless modding, but in my opinion, i actually think mazda did a pretty good job on it for the most part. Just keep the rmps up and it has pleanty of power.

But then again, thats just me, so as i stated, this was MY OPINION, so lets not everyone flame me at once.

michael

Ike
    I agree Michael, it's a very fun car to drive, very confidence inspiring and it handles wonderfully. But if speed is what you're after along with that it's a bit disappointing. Most RX-8s are dynoing about the same to the wheels as a stock WRX and they are rated at 238hp and are RWD.

I heard they were getting 140 whp out of them.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

I think it's around 160-170whp for the manual
    03 wrx

Ike
    165-180 is pretty typical for the MT. The AT, don't even bother, it's slow as mollasses in January.

RWD drivetrain loss haha
    03 wrx

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    I heard that they are not adding power to the MazdaSpeed RX8 or any other due to the fact that they are bringing back a 2 door RX7 w/ turbo 300HP+ powerplant to rival the next gen Skyline, etc.
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Ike
    Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
    I heard that they are not adding power to the MazdaSpeed RX8 or any other due to the fact that they are bringing back a 2 door RX7 w/ turbo 300HP+ powerplant to rival the next gen Skyline, etc.

It's all speculation at this point, but it appears the Mazdaspeed has minimal HP gains and is more a little suspension tweaks and a bodykit.
    Last edited by Ike; 05-05-2004 at 04:18 PM.

Remember What It Is.

I would think that it is safe to say that most people on the road dont know how to properly care for their vehicle. Not saying everyone is stupid, but just that your typical joe on the street is fairly clueless about seriously caring for their car. And that is what the RX-8 along with every other RX or rotary powered car requires. Cold stops on the engine, not religously changing oil every 3000 miles and other intances that might not apply to every cylinder powered engine are a death sentence on the rotary. These engines are great for a race track, one the street though, uhm, well, they're great with turbo on a race track. The dealerships really should offer a Rotary-Ed when selling these cars. So for the issues with the engine I would look first to the driver, not saying that Mazda is incapable of mistakes, but they due offer a fine product, imo, and they have a very loyal customer base. This being said the RX-8 is not the RX-7, which is what everyone wanted. However, if the car does sell, the powers that be at Ford might let Mazda unleash another twin-turbo rotary beast on US soil. **hoping**

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.