LS1 vs STi challange - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on LS1 vs STi challange within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thats my problem too. I have a very hard time believing his car will be 100% stock. He claims to ...

Thats my problem too. I have a very hard time believing his car will be 100% stock. He claims to have a 6 sec dragster and you mean to tell me he hasn't done any mods to his "fun car" as he put it. I think its funny his original thing was that no 4 banger could beat him then he had to backpedal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    In NO WAY am I on this guys side. Purely cause he's a bit of a d*ck..... I read enough of his thread to get the *gist* of what's going on....

Oh and BTW, the AUTO's are NOT faster than the M6. The M6's will trap about 2 MPH faster in the 1/4. But, the Auto's can make faster times.

BUT, we need to remember some KEY points:

1. This guy has LOTs of experience driving.

2. The STi is faster 0-60 by about a second.

3. The STi will launch better in general but his experience coupled with the auto will make him a formidable oponent off the line.

4. The LS1 will trap higher in the 1/4 by about 1-2 MPH.

5. The typical times are anwhere from 12.8 - 13.5 in those cars. Its all driver. Key word - DRIVER.

His statements, however, made it sound like his LS1 (stock) would, in fact, take EVERY STOCK 4 BANGER out there. No MATTER WHO'S DRIVING!!!
    I personally think its going to be VERY close. Best driver in an STi and the Best driver in the LS1 should put the LS1 in the lead by the end of the 1/4., every time. But not by much.

Again, these LS1's can be NASTY! There are guys who *LOOK* stock ,and are "cheating." They have lightened there Z28 substantially. By about 400 lbs. There are auto SS's who've lightened the car, and put only exhaust, headers, and CAI who pull 11's.... No chips, nothing internal... Just breathing better and weight reduction and those LS1's are NASTY FAST!

From a roll it should still be a drivers race. The STI is the most AWSOME 4 banger I've ever driven or seen....

We should see LOTs of these races this drag season.

I think his skill claims are just BS. I wouldn't be suprised to find out he didn't even own a TA
    -Andrew

All those things are true guys....

Who really cares....

The only LS1's I've seen pull high 12's stock are the Z28 SS 6spd's. I've seen a couple pull 12.8 - 13.0 @ 108 in stock form. It was cool, around 65, and the track condition where VERY good.
    But you are right, MOST are in the 13.5 range with the average LS1.

I also think that for the MOST part, just about 75% of the runs between a stock LS1 and a stock STi (on the street or strip) you will see the STi win. in a 1/4 drag.

Prettty awsome considering that the STi was NOT built for drag racing!!!

I can also say that the STi is WAY more fun to drive AND is probably MUCH more durable!!!

And its a sleeper!

03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

On a side note, why does a guy with almost 30 years of racing experience buy an automatic trans am?
    -Andrew

I don't know when, but this summer I'll be taking a trip across the country. I'm not stock, but then again, he did not specify stock in his challenge until he realized how badly he'd get put down. Oh, and drag radials = NOT stock TA.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    On a side note, why does a guy with almost 30 years of racing experience buy an automatic trans am?
    Because he knows the automatic is consistantly faster than the manual.

Originally posted by KnightRider2K
    Because he knows the automatic is consistantly faster than the manual.
    This is a good point, but lets compare this with what we know about this guy. It is common in the racing world that people prefer manual over automatic, traditional wisdom tells us that the manual is capable of more. Now someone who will fairly asses a situation may come to the same conclusion as you, it is fairly progressive in thought.

Now, lets take the person in quetsion and ask ourselves if he is the progressive type who will fairly asses a situation, or is he more the tradition type who makes decisions based on sterotype and conventional thought?

I think the answer to this is obvious. Furthermore, someone who really loves to race and has done it for so long would likely enjoy the experience of racing, the skill involved with it. Most people like this would rather be a hair slower with a manual then drive an automatic. And, in the hands of a driver with 30 years experience I would have to believe that the automatic would hold him back, where as for a newer drive it would be a benefit.

So, again, when considering the situation and the person in question, I would have to say the whole thing is BS.
    -Andrew

Hey you can slice it a MILLION ways, pick it apart and still never know his true intensions or where he's coming from....

The AUTO's are more preferred by people who drag race.

Are professional DRAG cars manual transmission? Nope....

Would you want to punch a clutch on a dragster? I think not....

Why was triptronic invented?

Humans are inherently SLOW! We can automate, invent and mechanize things that are MUCH faster than our reaction times.... Hence the auto transmission. Also created for laziness.....

You want to drag? You got power? You really want an auto trans.... They are MUCH more consistant.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

We can say that in stock form, the average auto LS1 driver will run a mid 13, but let's not forget that goes the same for the average stock STi driver.

Hence, if both drivers are pretty good drivers, the STi will NEED a high 1.6 or low 1.7 60ft. in order to beat the LS1 at the track.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 05-07-2004 at 06:47 AM.

I'd estimate that well over 3/4 of the hardcore LS1 drag race types use an automatic trans. Many have even converted their cars from the sixspeed to an automatic... GM's automatics are well matched to the car, and don't rob as much power as the 4 speed on the WRX does, for example. I used to have an automatic 98 Formula (LS1), and with a torque converter, drag radials, catback, programmer, and intake lid, I ran 12.6 at 107.5. I got bored with the auto, however, and fell in love with a six speed Firehawk convertible that I stumbled upon.

The LS1 guys who typically go for a sixspeed tend to be more well rounded, and don't strictly focus on straightline 1/4 mile performance. We tend to be in the minority on sites such as LS1tech.com or Camaroz28.com or LS1.com ...

In summary, hardcore dragracer types in the F-body world do prefer the automatic trans. Quite the opposite from what WRX or other import owners would do.

It doesn't change the fact, however, that the guy is still a monkey turd nugget and needs to be taught a lesson in humility and respect.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Dan -

Most 10 second and lower wrx's are on built auto trannies.

Nice trap in the Firehawk, btw.

Kevin

Originally posted by LemonHerb

So, again, when considering the situation and the person in question, I would have to say the whole thing is BS.
    What BS? The guy laid threw down the gauntlet - altering it slightly along the way - but no one has picked it up and shoved it in his face. He even posted his (alleged) cell phone.

I'd love to see an STi or an EVO take him down and shut his arrogant, narrow-minded ass up, but nobody in AZ apparently has the cojones to race him.

Bill M.
    2003 World Rally Blue WRX Wagon
    AccessPort - Stage 1 93 Oct.
    Fuzion ZRi tires
    Hardwired Valentine One / Lidatek LE-30
    XM Roady
    50% Tint

Originally posted by billmclaugh
    What BS? The guy laid threw down the gauntlet - altering it slightly along the way - but no one has picked it up and shoved it in his face. He even posted his (alleged) cell phone.

I'd love to see an STi or an EVO take him down and shut his arrogant, narrow-minded ass up, but nobody in AZ apparently has the cojones to race him.

Bill M.
    I'm totally willing, but I don't live there. I'm not stock but his challenge was stock auto TA vs. 4-cylinder. I don't know when, but I will be driving cross-country, so when I get dates, I'll post them and try to alter the route to go through that way.

RN

i rather see some ''4 banger'' FI civic hatch hand his ass 2 him..that would be a lot more interesting...i love the look on domestic car lovers when a little hatch at fontana takes out a mighty vette viper or any ls1 etc etc...its funny...i've seen a tape of a hatch beating a viper..even when the viper ran a 11.3...the whole place is silent
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Originally posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i rather see some ''4 banger'' FI civic hatch hand his ass 2 him..that would be a lot more interesting...i love the look on domestic car lovers when a little hatch at fontana takes out a mighty vette viper or any ls1 etc etc...its funny...i've seen a tape of a hatch beating a viper..even when the viper ran a 11.3...the whole place is silent
    Then find a hatch.

RN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast