Me vs Sportbike - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Me vs Sportbike within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by uber I got a 99 R6 and as much as you want to believe that you can ...

Re: r6

Originally posted by uber
    I got a 99 R6 and as much as you want to believe that you can actually beat it... There is no ****in way in the world sorry but I would make you my son, I might only have 105 hp on my bike, but it also weighs 365 lbs! I have seen bikes run under 10 sec at the track with me, and whats the best Rex time??? I thought so...
    Best Rex is in Australia and runs at least a 10 flat.

-Pace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also, bear in mind that at these kinds of altitudes a turbocharged motor is impacted significantly less by the low air density than a normally aspirated engine. I'm sure his R6 was down relatively more power than my WRX.

The most common misconception that people seem to have regarding bikes versus cars regards the cornering speed of motorcycles in constant radius turns: An appropriately equipped racecar is hands-down quicker than any bike you care to mention. This is simple fact and is evident by comparing racetrack telemetry data.

-Pace

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    Jim,

Ya lost me. About the GSX-R1000, you said, "I can't see ANYTHING going faster around a race track." Taking that statement literally, I mentioned two kinds of race cars which can do exactly that (not to mention F1).

If your point was there's nothing that you or I can afford that can beat a Gixxer around the track, or give you the of the kind of thrill that kind of motorcycle can provide, I agree 100%. But I think the second half of my post gave bikes their just due.

Lots of us like both bikes and cars and we do so for different reasons. Vive la difference.
    Right, what I was saying is, I can go buy a GSXR1000. I can afford to own it and insure it and it'll kick any car that you can afford to buy and insure. A viper GTS would give you a good run for your money. I vaguely remember a C&D comparo a year or so back, but no one I know drives an Audi R8 on Sundays.

BTW, I love bikes and cars. I've been riding since I was 8 years old.

-Jim

Bikes definitely provide the best bang-for-the-buck. It's like I said to my buddy after our scratching session: With a good rider on his R6 (him) and a good driver in my WRX (me), it was fairly even. However, put a pro rider on his bike and an equivalently skilled driver in my car and it will be no contest. It's much easier to reach the limits of my WRX. Most people, however cannot realize the full potential of their sportbikes.

-Pace

Im sorry..but your friend just cant ride then...

Originally posted by pace
    Bikes definitely provide the best bang-for-the-buck. It's like I said to my buddy after our scratching session: With a good rider on his R6 (him) and a good driver in my WRX (me), it was fairly even. However, put a pro rider on his bike and an equivalently skilled driver in my car and it will be no contest. It's much easier to reach the limits of my WRX. Most people, however cannot realize the full potential of their sportbikes.

-Pace

You mentioned in your reply that at one point the road had opened up and revealed a mile long straightaway....man if you kept up with the R6 at the end of a mile long straightaway, then there is just NOTHING to say except the rider was not doing his job right...or the bike was sick as anything.
    Again, I drive a WRX and I love the car...but Im also a biker with 15 years experience on all kinds of different bikes. There is no way a WRX could keep an R6 in sight if you were both kinda even coming out of a corner with a mile of open road ahead....The bike is WAY faster everywhere than the WRX and thats just the facts. If the R6 pilot was any kind of rider, a Z06 vette wouldnt be able to catch him by the end of a mile....there is just too much difference in acceleration for a car to make up the distance that a bike can initally put on it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123