Me vs Sportbike - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me vs Sportbike within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; you guys know that Z06 lost to gixer 1k on the track right?...

you guys know that Z06 lost to gixer 1k on the track right?
    Last edited by slin02; 07-14-2002 at 01:24 PM.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by slin02
    you guys know that Z06 lost to gixer 1kR on the track right?
    That article was soooooo awesome!!! Was it motorcyclist or cycle world?

motorcyclist. but to give the 4wheel affecianados the benefit of the doubt, swantz is a world class bike rider and only a adequate pro driver.
    Love Peace Happiness Ride
    That Ride will soon be DRIVE!!!

still, the gixer was pulling like 1.2 g, I don't see any car can achieve that stock.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Bikes are very very fast if you drag race. I wouldn't recommand running against one. Power to weight ratio owns you.

Originally posted by jaebaby
    motorcyclist. but to give the 4wheel affecianados the benefit of the doubt, swantz is a world class bike rider and only a adequate pro driver.
    That's quite true. And being Motorcyclist, they picked a fast track favorable to the GSX-R1000's phenomenal acceleration. A car magazine, Automobile, did a similar track comparison (Feb. 2002 issue). They pitted two Hondas against each other, a CBR600 F4i vs. an S2000. The course they selected was a bumpy, tight and twisty track in Michigan, Waterford. Their test conditions favored the car and it won, by four seconds a lap.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    That's quite true. And being Motorcyclist, they picked a fast track favorable to the GSX-R1000's phenomenal acceleration. A car magazine, Automobile, did a similar track comparison (Feb. 2002 issue). They pitted two Hondas against each other, a CBR600 F4i vs. an S2000. The course they selected was a bumpy, tight and twisty track in Michigan, Waterford. Their test conditions favored the car and it won, by four seconds a lap.
    WOW! That's interesting.

You know what though, the GSXR1000 is so carazy fast, I can't see ANYTHING going faster around a race track. My dad has one, has owned every fast sportbike since I've existed, and says that it is the ONLY bike he has ever owned that was so fast that it scares him from time to time!

I'll be getting my GSXR750 next year, I think.

-Jim

It's all too often left to the road conditions in comparisons like these. Nice long straights, smooth surfaces, see ya motorcycle. Tight, bumpy surfaces, see ya car. You just can't take a chance on bumpy surfaces with motorcycles. Hurts too much!

Jim, speaking of you dad, how's he doing? Fully recovered by now?
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

He's doing great. Thanks for asking. He and my mom went on a Goldwing tour over the weekend of over 400 miles this past weekend.

He still hurts a little, but the Gixxer is never in the garage on Sunday.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

WOW! That's interesting.

You know what though, the GSXR1000 is so carazy fast, I can't see ANYTHING going faster around a race track.
    -Jim
    Fast Qualifying lap times at Laguna Seca:

2002 World Superbike , Colin Edwards, RC-51 1.24.88
    2002 Indy Cars 1.09.47
    2001 America Le Mans Series Audi R8 1.15.23

At the highest echelons, there's no doubt that cars are faster. For around $12,000, there's no car that can touch a GSX-R1000. You'd have to spend Porsche GT2 money or get a Saleen S7 for equivalent performance. Bikes are just a huge bargain when you look at the bang for the buck factor.
    Old, but not slow.

2002 Indy Cars 1.09.47

At the highest echelons, there's no doubt that cars are faster. For around $12,000, there's no car that can touch a GSX-R1000. You'd have to spend Porsche GT2 money or get a Saleen S7 for equivalent performance. Bikes are just a huge bargain when you look at the bang for the buck factor.

This is not exactly and apples to apples comparo, as you imply.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

This is not exactly and apples to apples comparo, as you imply.

-Jim
    Jim,

Ya lost me. About the GSX-R1000, you said, "I can't see ANYTHING going faster around a race track." Taking that statement literally, I mentioned two kinds of race cars which can do exactly that (not to mention F1).

If your point was there's nothing that you or I can afford that can beat a Gixxer around the track, or give you the of the kind of thrill that kind of motorcycle can provide, I agree 100%. But I think the second half of my post gave bikes their just due.

Lots of us like both bikes and cars and we do so for different reasons. Vive la difference.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 07-15-2002 at 05:40 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

r6

I got a 99 R6 and as much as you want to believe that you can actually beat it... There is no ****in way in the world sorry but I would make you my son, I might only have 105 hp on my bike, but it also weighs 365 lbs! I have seen bikes run under 10 sec at the track with me, and whats the best Rex time??? I thought so...

2002 Indy Cars 1.09.47
    i agree with your line of thinking.
    i would replace wsb with gp (i think it's called something else now?) since wsb is a production "based" competition.
    none the less the cars would definitely beat the bikes.

i'm sure you've heard the thing about the indy cars being to drive upside down since the downforce is greater then 1.0 g.

with that kind of grip...

but true, true.... i'm jonesing for a wrx for the same reason i have my gixxer as with all my 'brothers' here at clubrex. performance. period.
    Love Peace Happiness Ride
    That Ride will soon be DRIVE!!!

Re: r6

Originally posted by uber
    I got a 99 R6 and as much as you want to believe that you can actually beat it... There is no ****in way in the world sorry but I would make you my son, I might only have 105 hp on my bike, but it also weighs 365 lbs! I have seen bikes run under 10 sec at the track with me, and whats the best Rex time??? I thought so...
    Interesting that you say this. I'm not going to quote bench racing numbers and stats, but rather just relay a 'real world' experience.

My best friend has an R6. He's been riding bikes about as long as I have, which is to say well over fifteen years. He knows how to ride. We moto together, although he is significantly quicker than me in the dirt.

For the first time this weekend (yesterday) we decided to go scratching together down some canyon roads up here in the thin air. Me in the WRX. Him on the R6. Speeds varied between 20mph hairpins and 90mph sweepers. Elevation varied between 5500ft and 8000ft. We did nearly 200 miles total.

These are my simple observations regarding comparable performance:

1. I can brake MUCH deeper into turns. Once or twice I nearly rear-ended him.
    2. In slow and medium speed constant radius turns, our speed was just about identical. I had a slight advantage in that I can safely drive beyond the traction of my tires. A slide for him is a little more of a handful. I also don't have to watch out for gravel.
    3. In snaking high speed turns, he can take a more direct line and therefore is significantly quicker.
    4. If I wasn't in my turbo's sweet-spot coming out of turns, he would drop me. Once I reached full boost however, the gap would stay constant.
    5. On one occasion we turned onto a side-road and were presented with a mile long straight. He lay flat to the tank and pinned it. I returned the favor. It was literally dead-even. We shut down shortly after I shifted into 4th at which point I had felt as though I was closing on him. I asked him afterward and he said he was shifting about 1000rpms shy of the redline. I was shifting at 6500rpms, so we are obviously closely matched.

In short, your bike is not quite as quick as you believe. I have seen numerous videos of 600HP Supras embarrassing modified Hyabusa's. When you look at the power-to-weight ratio of bikes versus cars, it looks like an open and shut case. However, what you are forgetting is the massive advantage that a car has, especially an AWD, in its ability to put its power to the ground. Crack the throttle wide open on an R1 from 30mph and see how long it takes the front-end to loop over your head! High powered autos usually have the advantage at the top-end also. Contrary to popular belief, bikes have $hitty coefficients of drag. They are able to get off the line very quickly though, hence the deceptively fast quarters.

Your R6 is quicker than 99.9% of the cars on the road today. That doesn't make you impervious to a four-wheeled spanking.

-Pace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast