Hyundai has cool cars now...but not cool enough!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hyundai has cool cars now...but not cool enough! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving with my wife over by the mall around my house and I see this little silver car ...

Cool Hyundai has cool cars now...but not cool enough!

I was driving with my wife over by the mall around my house and I see this little silver car pull up next to me at a light as I'm waiting to make a left. It actally looked pretty damn cool too. So I'm tryin to check his ride out to see what I might be up against and I cannot see what he has other than what looked like a Hyundai emblem on the back!? WTF??!!

I've seen the new Hyundai Tibouron' GT's and they are cool, but didn't look this cool. So we pulled up next to each other at the next stop sign and I asked him what it was. He confirmed and said it was a Hyundai (didn't say what kind). I told him it was a nice car and he said he worked for the Hyundai dealership in the area and was thinking about getting a Rex before he bought his car. So we decided to see who made the better decision.

I didn't want to use an AWD launch on him, that is unfair and was unneeded. I wen't on his reaction, and so he jumped a half car out in front. That only lasted for a second, because at the end of first, we were even. I heard him squealing his tires going into second (that's impressive for a Hyundai!) and in second gear I pulled about 2-3 more cars on him, and would have kept pulling if we weren't both turning at the next light. So I felt good, but I was also amazed that Hyundai had the balls to build this car. I told my wife,"Bet he wishes he would have bought the Rex now, huh?"

I looked on the net at the Tibouron GT V6's and it resembled this car, but it wasn't the same. I am suspecting that perhaps this guy had a pretty cool body kit on it and probably some other mods to help him out, because he did better than I thought he would.

The 'net quotes 180HP and a 6speed tranny for the V6 version, but this thing would have KILLED a new celica (which has the same HP rating and # of gears). Anyone got any other info on these things, they might be a challenge to a stock WRX.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they will never be a challenge to the stock rex. they only run mid to high 15 at the track and thats hooked up ie cai, exhuast, header, and fuel manag. seems like alot of work on a v6 for no hp god i love my awd turbo
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Originally posted by jt money
    they will never be a challenge to the stock rex. they only run mid to high 15 at the track and thats hooked up ie cai, exhuast, header, and fuel manag. seems like alot of work on a v6 for no hp god i love my awd turbo
    Give Hyundai some credit. They have made a car that looks really nice. It is probably a nicer looking car than any other car in its class. The power is not bad at all. You are talking about a relatively young company that has created a fun, yet inexpensive car. Give them a few years and I think they might be producing some exciting cars.

I respect Hyundai for there efforts in the WRC. Could you imagine if Hyundai released a street version of their WRC Accent? I keep saying Ford and Hyundai need to friggin give it up and give us Turbocharged AWD WRC bred cars like Subaru and Mitsubishi.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Over on the j-body forum they talk about these new Hyundais like they are gold or something. I guess going from a 150 hp engine to a 180 hp engine is quite a jump for them. I almost got into a flame war because they said the Hyundai is going to have a larger aftermarket than the WRX does and it will be able to smoke the WRX after some bolt-ons. This just shows you the mentality of some of the people on that board. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it over here.

Automobile magazine said the new Tiburon's engine is "anemic".

I think the styling and the 6 speed gearbox is the only thing that it has going for it. Also, that so called 10 year warranty has more holes than swiss cheese.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I read somewhere that the six-speed tranny that's in it sucked somewhere.

str
    I've seen these cars and they are pretty good for the price. They look pretty cool and the interior is nice. In terms of performance, from what I've read it isn't even close to a WRX.

I'd drive this one.

Seriously, it's a nice looking car for not a lot of $. This guy was almost as fast as the WRX (who won the class) through this corner, but noticeably slower going up the hill

I think the new Tiburon won STPR this year.

Am I mistaken?

The thing that bothers me: there are NO turbocharged production Hyundais, the WRC and US ProRally Hyundai drivetrain is made mostly of Mitsu and Subaru parts!!!

It's like NASCAR's RWD V8 Monte Carlo that Chevy doesn't sell.

Oh well, like koyokid said: why won't Ford and Hyundai sell production rally cars like Mitsu and Subie does?

-Jim

i think they have a good thing going with the wrc car, it does alright, the only hangup is they use mitsu and subaru parts for there awd system, so the chances of a street version are slim, maybe in the near future they will come up with there own and offer it.

I think in a few years that a rally type hyundai will be marketed. Ford on the other hand has too many issues with bringing cars like the RS200 over.

It's def not a Rex, but then again for $18,000 it's a damn good deal for a V6 with a 6 spd. You have to keep in mind that it isn't a bad overall package. Of course when the Neon SRT-4 comes here next year, nobody with a grain of intelligence will be buying a Tiburon over that thing!

Hyundai knows what they are doing. They did like the Japanese market in the US when it started. Cheap cars, no options, good quality. Over the past few years they have used the money they made by not over diversifying into....well....diversifying.

I said the same thing about the new ones. They don't look half bad. Not to my taste still, and stealing styles and looks from others. One of thier sedans looks just like a Saab or a Volvo. The luxery car looks like a Lincoln LX. The Tiburon looks like a Toyota.

Good luck to 'em. I'd sure like to see the Mitzu or the Ford WRC cars here too. It might have given me something to think about about at the time of purchasing my Subie. For now, no one is close in my eyes.
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

My 2 cents... Just finished driving an 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT (V6, 5 speed - the 6 speed is in the GS-T), as well as an 02 RSX Type S and an 02 WRX wagon on the weekend. I ordered a WRX sedan yesterday.

The Hyundai, wait 1-2 years. The one I drove had issues. Too loud exhaust, sluggish acceleration. Also, a sharp looking car but no headroom at all in the backseat and I cracked my head getting out of the driver's side. I think it's a car for 18 year old kids.

The RSX... wow... When the Suby's paid off, I am getting one of these. Very nice car.

I ordered the Suby cuz of the 4 doors, awd and grin factor, but it was a verrrryyy close decision between that and the RSX.

The only downside to my new Suby is that I don't get it until the end of August... sniff...

Originally posted by 2001S4

Give Hyundai some credit. They have made a car that looks really nice. It is probably a nicer looking car than any other car in its class.

Agreed, of course, when Pininfarina helps you style a car it's hard to get it wrong!

but it was a verrrryyy close decision between that and the RSX.
    RSX is a very cool car, smooth driving, sweet interior, great build quality, I was going to buy one before my mom decided to trade-in her WRX so that was a no-brainer!! the only reason I wasn't going with a new WRX in the first place was because mom beat me to it by 7 months, and you can't drive the same car as mommy haha, she actually bought the WRX exactly as i described how i would want one (minus the STi short shift).....I'm so glad that things happened the way they did because the exterior lines of the RSX aren't near as exciting as the WRX and they are popping up all over the place now while not seeing many Impreza's at all in comparison. Oh, and to save someone else from adding to this, THE POWER and the beauty of AWD add a bit to the package!!!! I too may buy an RSX in the future though as a spare car, it's nice. Definately would choose it over the (swallowing pride while admitting this) VW cars that I was looking at, they just don't make em like they used to!

But as far as Hyundai goes, I was checking out the entire line of Hyundai's when a friend was shopping for an Elantra and all but the Accent are decently styled cars, great standard features, nice lines etc. Better cars than most American cars in equal categories for lots less $$$ It's too bad the Tiburon performance doesn't match it's looks, that's one sharp car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.