Hyundai has cool cars now...but not cool enough! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hyundai has cool cars now...but not cool enough! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by glepko Better cars than most American cars in equal categories for lots less $$$ It's too bad ...

Originally posted by glepko
    Better cars than most American cars in equal categories for lots less $$$ It's too bad the Tiburon performance doesn't match it's looks, that's one sharp car.
    I say give it time and things may change. Most cars that are introduced have their pluses or minuses. Once the company sees what needs improvement, they will try to work towards that goal. Hyundai has made huge strides forward in recent years and the style of the Tiburon is unmatched by anything within $5000-$7,000 of its price IMHO. Saw one today that was silver and it caught my eye more than anything else I saw out on the road today, even more than a prowler (of course I sell them so I see and drive them all the time now). I think Hyundai is an aggressive company that will listen to the feedback about their cars and improve upon them. In a few years we will be talking about that sub $20,000 coupe that runs a mid to low 14 second quarter that Hyundai put out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For those who haven't gotten a good look at the car, here you go:

Agreed, of course, when Pininfarina helps you style a car it's hard to get it wrong!
    Anyone else notice the STRONG resemblence to a Ferrari 456GT. Of course it's no more than skin deep

doesnt the WRC tiburon use a 4g63?
    Edge of The Blade

Originally posted by Marcolus
    doesnt the WRC tiburon use a 4g63?
    No, it is a turbocharged Hyundai engine found in none of their production cars. In the SCCA series, the Hyundai engine actually make a lot more HP than any othe rcar in the series!

-Jim

Originally posted by Schaf100

Anyone else notice the STRONG resemblence to a Ferrari 456GT. Of course it's no more than skin deep
    several auto publications have made a similar comparison....this is a sharp car no doubt

....this is a sharp car no doubt
    Agreed. I think they are on the right track for some impressive vehicles in the not too distant future. I've seen a yellow one in town and have been impressed with their looks. I didn't realize they were that cheap (cost-wise, not quality-wise). Should be interesting seeing what comes of it.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

The one that I raced was the same silver as that picture, but he had a mild body kit that made it look even more like an higher priced car.

Looking at it out the passenger side window when he was next to me (I could only see about half the car), the thing was making me wonder if was a new 350Z or the RX-8 or something. At a quick glance, this thing does resemble a ferrari.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Hyundia did have a Turbo engine in the Previous Scoupe. I think its called thr Alpha-T. I believe this is the engine they are using the WRC.

As far as Hyundai goes, they have made leaps and bounds in short amount of time. They are folling the exect same game plan that Honda. Toyota, and Nissan did 30 years ago, but at a much faster rate. The Big Japanese three should really be watching Hyundia Closely.

BTW the Sonata and the Galant share most of there parts, and Hyundia and Mitsu have a long history of sharing parts. So don't be surprised to see a 4WD Turbo V6 Tib in the not so distant future (They are already testing it)

As far as the RSX and the WRX I think both are great cars. The WRX has more power and AWD. The RSX has a plush interior with more options like leather and a sunroof and no radio antena. I was looking at both and got the WRX cause i put power first and also because my cousin got an RSX the color I wanted and didn't want the same color car.

Now as far as Hyundai I'm friends with a family that owns some dealerships in the area. They have a hyundai dealership and never use those cars because of the lack of power and high amounts of noise they make. They also claim the ride isn't as good and they tend to break faster. Oh and it is 100,000 mile 10 yr power train warrenty which covers solid engine parts and not the parts that break. This is according to them I've never driven there cars and I don't plan too cause I like my jap cars too much.
    The Left lane is for those going faster then YOU!!!

Originally posted by nemesis099
    Now as far as Hyundai I'm friends with a family that owns some dealerships in the area. They have a hyundai dealership and never use those cars because of the lack of power and high amounts of noise they make. They also claim the ride isn't as good and they tend to break faster. Oh and it is 100,000 mile 10 yr power train warrenty which covers solid engine parts and not the parts that break. This is according to them I've never driven there cars and I don't plan too cause I like my jap cars too much.
    Whenever any of my friends are buying a car, I am consulted. Any mention of Hyundai and I tell them pretty much what you just said. As far as I'm concerned, Hyundai is still 3-5 years away from making a decent car.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

Whenever any of my friends are buying a car, I am consulted. Any mention of Hyundai and I tell them pretty much what you just said. As far as I'm concerned, Hyundai is still 3-5 years away from making a decent car.

-Jim
    Some may want to check out the New Car and Driver...

Originally posted by mhoward1

Some may want to check out the New Car and Driver...

why did they say the tiburon is still slow
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Originally posted by jt money

why did they say the tiburon is still slow
    Yep, but not as much...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy
    Over on the j-body forum they talk about these new Hyundais like they are gold or something. I guess going from a 150 hp engine to a 180 hp engine is quite a jump for them. I almost got into a flame war because they said the Hyundai is going to have a larger aftermarket than the WRX does and it will be able to smoke the WRX after some bolt-ons. This just shows you the mentality of some of the people on that board. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it over here.

Automobile magazine said the new Tiburon's engine is "anemic".

I think the styling and the 6 speed gearbox is the only thing that it has going for it. Also, that so called 10 year warranty has more holes than swiss cheese.
    The EJ engines have at least a decade of aftermarket and tuning experience in Japan. I'm sure it's also the basis for many American parts as well. ALso, Hyundai does not quite have the same image as Subaru.

What kinda holes are in the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by junaitari
    I read somewhere that the six-speed tranny that's in it sucked somewhere.
    It's in the Sentra SE-R.

My two friends and I (in a G35 6MT) raced a Tib once. He got the launch (less weight) but yeah...280 vs 180. The rest of Hyundai's small car and midsized offerings impressed me as well. The Accent feels suprinsingly solid and drives well. It feels as well-manufactured as a Corolla. I'd consider getting one as a DD if I needed a small car for a few years. The Sonata has the chassis stiffness and steering of my 10 year old mazda minivan but featurewise, you can't beat it.
    Last edited by AREITU; 09-18-2004 at 05:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.