Thank God for big brakes!

This is a discussion on Thank God for big brakes! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've just picked up my lunch and I'm on my way home. Traffic ahead is at a total standstill. To ...

Thank God for big brakes!

I've just picked up my lunch and I'm on my way home. Traffic ahead is at a total standstill. To my right, I see a road I know to be a shortcut, so I turn onto it. Shortly after getting on, I see a yellow Chevy Tracker coming from the opposite direction, with a signal on to turn across my lane into the mall. Next thing I know, she's turning RIGHT in front of me and I'm standing on my brake, unintentionally laying on the horn with the way I grabbed the wheel. I slide a fair distance but manage to miss hitting her. She looks surprised, as if she couldn't see the BRIGHT BLUE car coming up the road, or that she expected me to come to a stop and let her by.

That scared the crap out of me (not literally). Normally, when someone cuts into my lane, from whatever direction, I see it coming and am prepared. This time caught me completely off-guard. I don't know how I didn't see it, but BAM! she was just THERE, in my lane. Thank GOD for the Brembos! Big brakes saved me and my car today. Had I been in any other car I've ever owned or driven, short of the 914, I would have been unable to avoid plowing into the side of that Tracker. I don't know what possessed her to turn in front of oncoming traffic but...I now realize the difference between these brakes and the ones on other cars! I suspect I slid some since my tires are nearly bald.

Today, I'm especially happy to be an STi owner. However it happened that I didn't see her coming, these brakes made up for it, though I can't count on that all the time.

Tracker: 0
    STi: 0 (STi brakes 1?)

I think I'll be doing any upgrade short of total brake replacement that will allow my car to stop faster...I now realize how important they are.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Glad to hear that the accident was avoided.

My breaks are next up on the mod list as the WRX breaks are nowhere near the Brembos on the STi. I wish they weren't so expensive, but they're definitely worth the money.

Good reaction times also helped you too. Who says that working on that perfect RT from the "Christmas Tree" at the drag strip doesn't benefit you?

In 1998, an uninsured motorist did the same thing to me when I was in my 1995 Ford Probe GT. My car was totalled and I experienced an airbag for the first time and what it was like trying to collect from an uninsured driver... Glad to hear you had a better outcome.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

A BBK isn't going to stop you faster. Your tires will.

Think about it, your stock brakes are enough to lock up the wheels, so it isn't a matter of clamping power. BBKs just dissapate heat faster.
    - Capt Crunch

Not only does the Captain know his breakfast cereal, he knows his stuff about brakes! Doing a brief Google search came up with this test on a 350 Z comparing the stock brakes to the Brembos and to a bigger aftermarket brake kit. Braking distance was minimal (less than 1 foot on avg from 60-0 comparing the regular brakes to the Brembos on the Track Model), while the fade resistance was substantial. http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm

I was rather shocked to see the small difference in distance between the brake kits, although it's clearly obvious from the temperatures that the results in repeated braking tests (like one would see while lapping at a racetrack) would certainly favor the bigger brake kits. A one time panic stop gives a very minimal advantage to bigger brakes. I learned something new from reading it today.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Well, new tires are at the house. Once I shred the old ones, new ones are on. Hopefully I don't NEED the grip of the new tires to avoid anyone.

We seriously need tougher license testing and retesting...the cost of testing would be worth it to reduce wrecks, which obviously cost money and lives.

RN

I Support ClubWRX
    The same thing happened to me this sunday, except I was traveling down the highway at about 70MPH when some woman decided to pull out in front of me (she was no more than 100ft from me when she pulled out). I slammed the brakes, downshifted, slammed the gas and switch lanes missing her front bumper and the rear of the car that had just passed me on the left. Unfortunately the car behind me had been a little close to me and he didn't miss her.... he slammed right into the back of her car. Not a case of good brakes as much as quick reactions, but none the less, I was glad I was in a car capable of handling the situation...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

A similar thing happened to me 3 days ago in Pittsburgh. I was leaving the strip district and me and this woman in a green cougar were driving side by side going about 30 mph. I knew she was there, then the idiot decided she needed to get in my lane and merges with me right next to her! I wasnt in her blind spot or anything, you simply turn your head and you see the car next to you. Luckily my gf's panicky reaction alerted me to what was happening and I managed to swerve onto the center cement slab that divided the road. She kept going like she didnt care and assumed I would just move out of her way. The moron's car came literally within an inch of smashing my passenger side.....
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Not to stir up a controversy but notice how all these stories involve women behind the steering wheel....
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Originally posted by scooby24
    Not to stir up a controversy but notice how all these stories involve women behind the steering wheel....
    Well, so far, the only people I've seen with serious cases of road rage directed towards me were guys, if that makes you feel any better.

RN