BPU Supra vs STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BPU Supra vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was out cruising and taking advantage of the nice cool evening while of course always looking for more wins ...

BPU Supra vs STi

I was out cruising and taking advantage of the nice cool evening while of course always looking for more wins and what suddenly appears before me but a white STi, very dark tint, perhaps 15%, and full exhaust. I haven't had the chance to race one yet so I figured this would be a great opportunity. Pulled almost alongside of him about one length behind and he guns it from about 60-65mph, I of course do the same but he gets the initial jump since my turbos have not spooled up, but once they're fully spinning I whoosh by him and pick up 4 quick lengths to 120mph before the traffic light halts our progress and signals the starting point for the pending full race.

I'm thinking the STi will put up a good fight from a stop and should make for decent entertainment. I ready my RPMs waiting for the light to turn green and he does the same, bam the light flashes green and surprisingly I get a half car jump at the start, that's right me..now I know this is going to get ugly. The gain increases to about 2.5 lengths by 60mph, then 6 by 100mph and the top end of the Supra is killer above 100mph so another quick 6 lengths are put one from only 100mph-120mph where I have to shut it down due to an upcoming traffic light.

I was assuming the guy would chat at the traffic light but he stood firmly behind the nearly black painted windows so I couldn't tell you what other mods he had if any besides the exhaust. Nevertheless, for some reason he starts revving again assumedly asking for another race. I'm not quite sure why but I was glad to oblige assuming that he may have had a bad launch the first time...hey it happens to all of us. Well not to bore you with details but the second race is a carbon copy of the first one, in other words I put about 12 lengths on him from a stop to 120mph. Oh well. If you're on the board feel free to contribute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good run, nice kill, even though it was one of our own, i will gladly die in the hands of a supra anyday. your on the stock twins or no? he probalbly busted his launch unless you pull crazy 1.5' sixty foot times. you say though you pulled 6 cars from 100-120? i think he might of just shut down, even a stock sti will not drop six more car lenghts in that little window. that seems a bit hard to grab. but then again i cannot measure how many cars i am ahead, or how many im pulling and at what speeds i pulled them at. unless im behind...which never happens.

He's on stock twins. The thread title says BPU.

How do you get lag on twin turbos?
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

I love T-Supras. They are not only fast but gorgeous also. I bow down to them. That way I live to fight another day. With someone else with a slower car. Heehee

Originally posted by ilivas
    He's on stock twins. The thread title says BPU.

How do you get lag on twin turbos?
    haha... contrary to popular belief, even on twins, they still have some lag! Not as colossal as the single turbo cars though.

And to the original poster, nice kill there! Now we just need to see some pics of your car please
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Re: BPU Supra vs STi

Originally posted by KnightRider2K
    I was out cruising and taking advantage of the nice cool evening while of course always looking for more wins and what suddenly appears before me but a white STi, very dark tint, perhaps 15%, and full exhaust. I haven't had the chance to race one yet so I figured this would be a great opportunity. Pulled almost alongside of him about one length behind and he guns it from about 60-65mph, I of course do the same but he gets the initial jump since my turbos have not spooled up, but once they're fully spinning I whoosh by him and pick up 4 quick lengths to 120mph before the traffic light halts our progress and signals the starting point for the pending full race.

I'm thinking the STi will put up a good fight from a stop and should make for decent entertainment. I ready my RPMs waiting for the light to turn green and he does the same, bam the light flashes green and surprisingly I get a half car jump at the start, that's right me..now I know this is going to get ugly. The gain increases to about 2.5 lengths by 60mph, then 6 by 100mph and the top end of the Supra is killer above 100mph so another quick 6 lengths are put one from only 100mph-120mph where I have to shut it down due to an upcoming traffic light.

I was assuming the guy would chat at the traffic light but he stood firmly behind the nearly black painted windows so I couldn't tell you what other mods he had if any besides the exhaust. Nevertheless, for some reason he starts revving again assumedly asking for another race. I'm not quite sure why but I was glad to oblige assuming that he may have had a bad launch the first time...hey it happens to all of us. Well not to bore you with details but the second race is a carbon copy of the first one, in other words I put about 12 lengths on him from a stop to 120mph. Oh well. If you're on the board feel free to contribute.
    you running 11's? I know supra's are fast but 12 cars sounds a bit odd to me for two cars that are not that far apart statistically. What mods do you have?
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Modded Supras can be mean that for sure, but a well driven STi should be in front leaving the line.

Also to pull 12 cars up to 120mph, you must be running 9s in the 1/4 mile. If not , the guy driving the STi need some serious practice behind the wheel.

I ran a 03 Cobra that traps 116mph in the 1/4 mile. I was right behind him at 100mph. I was only about 2 cars back.

Thats not to say your Supra doesn' t run 9s. I know for a fact that there are some 9 sec street Supras running around.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-25-2004 at 06:52 AM.

Re: Re: BPU Supra vs STi

Originally posted by Silver04Sti
    you running 11's? I know supra's are fast but 12 cars sounds a bit odd to me for two cars that are not that far apart statistically. What mods do you have?
    I've run a best of 12.0 @ 119.Xmph (though slightly less on the street) so the difference of 12 lengths from 0 to 120mph is probably right around where it should be. Like I said, the race was repeated twice and the results were virtually identical give or take 1 length. I would have liked to know if he had any mods beyond exhaust but the driver did not want to chat.

SGOSWRX, you said you were about 2 lengths behind a Cobra that traps 116mph in a race to 100. I trap a little over 3mph more and in my race with the STi the difference was approximately 6 lengths at the 100mph point as previously mentioned, so our results are right in line based on trap speeds. I wish there were a few more Cobras as well as STis in the area to race, have only had a chance at one of each so far. (2003/2004 Cobras I mean, not the thousand of older slow ones.)
    Last edited by KnightRider2K; 04-25-2004 at 09:52 AM.

If I am on public streets I will run up to around 80 mph. At that point a 12 flat at 118 car will have about 1 car length on me. Then a miracle occures and he will pull 11 more cars on me up to 120. The miracle in question is me letting off the gas

Keith
    Miss the wifes WRX, but love my Ralliart!

Great kill.. man your sti must be fast.... although it's hard to count car lengths when you're beating him by that much, ya know?

Wow.... with BPU, Supra runs 119mph trap? I am assuming some sort of boost controller and full exhaust?

i am thinking he let off around 100 or so.. if he was already losing by several car lengths i doubt he would continue to take it past 100mph, especially against a supra..

but either way, nice races man! supras are so incredible..
    i want to see some pics of your car
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I didn't think, bpu could trap that high. I thought you'd at least need a single turbo to do that.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

BPU Supras trap about 117, healthy ones can do 119. I've actually seen a couple do 120 and 121 but these are extremely out of the ordinary. BPU of course consists of intake, exhaust, downpipe, and BoostCutController. For me these items cost about $600 in total. I didn't opt for an electronic boost controller which is not only overpriced IMO but often underperforms a manual ball and spring device. Here's a decent chart for expected Supra trap speeds to rwhp http://www.moreboost.org/track_times...ed Performance

Good luck guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.