BPU Supra vs STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on BPU Supra vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by KnightRider2K BPU Supras trap about 117, healthy ones can do 119. I've actually seen a couple do ...

Originally posted by KnightRider2K
    BPU Supras trap about 117, healthy ones can do 119. I've actually seen a couple do 120 and 121 but these are extremely out of the ordinary. BPU of course consists of intake, exhaust, downpipe, and BoostCutController. For me these items cost about $600 in total. I didn't opt for an electronic boost controller which is not only overpriced IMO but often underperforms a manual ball and spring device. Here's a decent chart for expected Supra trap speeds to rwhp http://www.moreboost.org/track_times...ed Performance

Good luck guys.
    Looks good. I wish I had a Supra for sure...though looking at the 60' times of 2.2x on the faster end of the spectrum for your trap speed the race from a dig seems off since its much easier to get a 1.8 on an Sti then a 2.2 on a Supra. I might be wrong, since I've never driven a Supra, but still...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

supras are fast but off the line u shouldn't be taking him..i've seen 11 second supras they still run 2.2 60ft times..so he should still have u off the line..than youd' reel him in and pass him..ur one cocky guy..i mean with a supra i guess i'd be cocky to..my friend also has a supra...but he wont race me..his pretty much stock except for a downpipe...he wont race me off a launch..oh well...nice kill
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

great kill....
    i wish there are streets here in SAN DIEGO where i could race at 120mph light to light.... that's a long street.

RANDi

Originally posted by AwdTurboWrx
    supras are fast but off the line u shouldn't be taking him..i've seen 11 second supras they still run 2.2 60ft times..so he should still have u off the line..than youd' reel him in and pass him..ur one cocky guy..i mean with a supra i guess i'd be cocky to..my friend also has a supra...but he wont race me..his pretty much stock except for a downpipe...he wont race me off a launch..oh well...nice kill
    Yes, the 03 Cobra that I raced that trapped 116mph, didn't catch me until about 85 mph or so.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, you're a very hospitable group.

KINGSKY, actually it's a highway with traffic lights spaced about every half mile or so. Perfectly level and even surface with wide lanes and virtually never any cross traffic, so as you can tell just the right conditions for racing.

As for the launch, I wasn't expecting to be ahead at the start. From previous experience racing 12 second EVOs and DSMs they usually put about 2 lengths on me at the start if they hit their launch perfectly at about 5000rpms and I was expecting a similar hole shot from the STi. But perhaps this driver wasn't willing to launch quite that high or his timing was slightly off under the pressure. The STi put up a decent fight nevertheless and would more than likely have crushed anything else on that road.

I'd be glad to see if I could reproduce the result in the future so if anyone is in the SE Pa area just drop me a PM.

Obviously, it's not exact from me but...if it had been a well-driven STi (launched properly and not letting out), I'm not buying a 12 second Supra putting THAT many lengths on it, ESPECIALLY if the STi has exhaust work done. A BPU Supra should beat an STi, even with some exhaust work, but it'd be a lot closer than that if the STi even does a half-assed launch and doesn't let up...so not calling BS, I just don't buy it being a real race with that big a gap. I'd like to see a good race...an STi willing to launch it hard and not let off. That'd be an excellent race and good way for an STi to go down.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Possible explanation for the 12 car-lengths?

Maybe it wasn't a true STI, just an upgraded 04'. Most people who aren't Suby enthusiasts can't spot the subtle differences besides the exterior. I always find that the clearest indication are the brembros, but even they can be replaced. I've have my car confused many times w/ and STI ..due to the fog covers and the larger scoop.

renichms, you think the difference between a car trapping 119mph versus one doing 106mph or so is going to be less than 10 lengths if they leave the starting line at nearly the same time? Come on now.

BiglTFP, if it was a plain Jane WRX the differential would have been 20-30 lengths (this is first hand experience). Trust me I know the difference.

Simple physics. If the supra is one second faster in the 1/4 mile, then in that last second the Sti, which is going an average of 100-106 mph, will travels a distance of about 150 ft. That's a little over 10 carlengths.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

TonyG: Exactly... Also, a good rule of thumb at our speeds (low 100's) is that one tenth of a second is equivalent to approximately one car length.

And if the STi driver wasn't competent enough to be able to outlaunch a street tired Supra, I wouldn't be surprised by any result that leaves the STi driver waaaaay behind, as occurred in this particular instance.

Nice run, KITT!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by KnightRider2K
    renichms, you think the difference between a car trapping 119mph versus one doing 106mph or so is going to be less than 10 lengths if they leave the starting line at nearly the same time? Come on now.

BiglTFP, if it was a plain Jane WRX the differential would have been 20-30 lengths (this is first hand experience). Trust me I know the difference.
    Going by everything I've seen and what Dan00Hawk says, you would not have been that far ahead of a modified STi if it was driven properly. I'm not saying it was driven properly, but do you HONESTLY think that you would get more than 10 car lengths in your 12 second car when running (from a dig) a car that MIGHT be a half second behind? Given those kinds of times, if the STi had been well driven, you would have been less than HALF the lengths ahead you claim. Obviously, the STi did not launch hard, nor did the driver keep in it as long as you. It's still a kill and your car is still ridiculously fast, and there's no need to get offended when people point out the STi didn't launch and that he let out long before you...possibly because he already saw that he'd lost.

It doesn't lessen the "kill" any, but you need to know when you brag about that and think they'll all be like that, you'll get a nasty surprise when you run a modified STi with a driver willing to go 100%. You'd beat me too, and I'd be glad to admit it, but the ego has to go.

Congratulations on your kill. Maybe next time you'll get a real, full race.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Not saying it was a plain Jane REX..but maybe it was a modified 2004. Perhaps a strong Stage 3 car with stock turbo, or maybe a lightly tuned Stage 4.

Or maybe he just let off like everyone has said...

Either way congrats on having a wicked Supra. I was talking with a fellow suby owner this weekend who also owns a supra which runs low 10's...his goal for this year is single digits...

Lonnie
    VF 39 STAGE IV UTEC, STI V.7 TMIC- GONE
    2006 LGT-soon to be upgraded

well, if you didnt see /smell tiresmoke, and suby tail lights, he didnt launch it. maybe he trickled it off the line.

either way, good kill on the roll race, even though it isnt fair. 260wheel hp, vs 490 wheel hp.

would i expect to r-a-pe cars with a 200whp advantage, yes.. thats like me honking off with a prius.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by jigga
    haha... contrary to popular belief, even on twins, they still have some lag! Not as colossal as the single turbo cars though.

And to the original poster, nice kill there! Now we just need to see some pics of your car please
    I saw a Supra run an AutoX on Sunday. The last gate was a hairpin turn/ low speed, tight sweeper that people hit at about 5mph. From there it was an ~ 100ft dash to the finish line. The supra got about 30ft before the turbo fully kicked in. I ASSUME it was a TT Supra because when it kicked in it FLEW! By comparison, the STis were faster in that section due to the ability to power on a bit sooner.

That was the first time I've seen a TT Supra run and the full power acceleration was awsome to see. Plus, the turbo was LOUD! Pretty cool.

BPU Supra can trap 119 MPH I have seen them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12