WTF is wrong with mazda?? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WTF is wrong with mazda?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by dukmahsik I'd rather buy the 3 than a civic anyday. When we were looking for a daily ...

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    I'd rather buy the 3 than a civic anyday.
    When we were looking for a daily driver for the wife, we test drove a Protege and while it was fun we really disliked the leg room. I kept catching my shoe on the brake pedal while trying to use the clutch. I got to think about safety and, sure enough, the Protege had average ratings for leg/feet safety. The Civic was just an all around better car, at the time (Oct 2003.)

Still, when I saw the adds for the 3s I was like "aww damn" should have waited. The 3 certainly looks nicer than a Civic.

So which car do you think has better handling and overall performance: a S2000 or a MS Miata?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey DTR Maxima, Nissan isn't gonna do turbo. They said the next Spec V will have 250+ hp and torque

I was thinking $25K for the MS Miata was a pretty good deal, not a rip-off. The base MSRP for the Miata is right at $22,000, so the premium for the MS is only about $3000. I know some people will think they could buy the base, get an aftermarket turbo and have a little more power for their $25,000 than they get from MS. But the MS also comes with a sport suspension and a 6-speed instead of the base 5-speed. I don't think you can upgrade your suspension, get a turbo kit, and do a 6-speed swap on a base Miata for just $3000, and if you did you wouldn't have that nice warranty anymore when you blow out the headgasket on the otherwise stock base motor. Heck, the last couple years LS model has cost over $25K and hasn't had anymore HP than the base Miata.
    I agree, and I think this is the general consensus from the automotive press. The Mazdaspeed Miata is a great value even when compared to what that extra money can buy in the aftermarket (e.g. a flyinmiata turbo kit). The real question is whether the car will be reliable. Although the Mazdaspeed Protege did not have any major problems, it had a whole slew of minor problems that have left many owners pissed off. Two examples are the ever-famous "hesitation" and the "clunk" from bad rear swaybar bushings.

Another problem with the MS Miata is that it's supposed to have a pretty harsh ride. A short wheelbase with a stiff suspension does not result in a smooth ride. While the base miata's ride is supposed to be okay, the MS one is supposedly bad across highway expansion joints, according to some magazine reviews.

Will that deter buyers? Nope.
    05 PSM WRX wagon

Originally posted by subineer
    Yeah but the 3's are kinda cool for the money.
    No they arent fast, so what?? who cares! They are pretty cool.
    yea, the 3's are kida cool...thats what my second car is...I got a red sedan, with the sports package...(cheep body kit, 17's, and fog lights).

that handle pretty well...and from 25 to 60 kinda quick....and for $19867.06 out the door...not a bad deal.

and they are WAYYYYYYYYY better than a Civic.

Originally posted by BobbyD
    that must have been a curvy track for you to beat a 600hp viper cause if there are any straights...its game over.
    yeah AutoX = almost no straights and yes i know on a track my arse would have been handed too me.

Re: Re: why the rx8 is NA

Originally posted by Jerm95gt04WRX
    i agree with you but it is odd that those cars that declined in sales are now much more sought after, like the supra tt, rx7 tt, 300zx
    That's because they have dropped in value since when they are new. People still would not want to pay $60K for a Supra or $40K for a Rx7. But $20K-30K I think people are still willing to own one of those cars.

This just confirms that the prices of these cars got too high. If they were selling them at the prices we see the Rx8 at, then they would never have gone out.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Re: Re: why the rx8 is NA

Originally posted by Zen S14
    That's because they have dropped in value since when they are new. People still would not want to pay $60K for a Supra or $40K for a Rx7. But $20K-30K I think people are still willing to own one of those cars.
    Err, I'm just working from memory here, but I don't recall the Supra ever getting to $60K. I test drove a 300Z TwinTurbo in '91, and the salesman was trying for $34,000. The Supra was a little more, maybe a tick over $40K if I remember correctly. I'm no Supra expert; I could be wrong...

At the end of the day, you're right. The prices got higher than the market would bear for those cars at that time.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I own both Miata and WRX...

If I were to pick a car to take to autoX, Miata would be my choice. Sure, WRX is more powerful and fast, but Miata is so much more fun to drive. RWD and super light weight... what more can you ask?

Mazda is doing just fine, the turbo is coming. You want to see bad, take a look at Mitsubishi! That's a bad way to go.

-Jim

I agree that Mazda is doing fine and I feel they're better off today than before they introduced the 3, 6, and RX-8.

One good thing about the Mazdaspeed cars is that they do come with the factory warranty on the tuner parts. Some people don't have time, or a garage, to be constantly updating their car, and it's nice to have a package that's ready to go from the factory and that mechanics will know how to fix because there are factory specs.

However, i also feel they kind of bumbled the Mazdaspeed Protege. I don't own one, but I've read the forum at www.msprotege.com for a while now and there are too many issues with that car, considering how few problems the regular NA Protege had.

I hope the Mazdaspeed Miata does not have the same problem, but only time will tell. It takes a few months, sometimes a year to realize what known issues there are.
    05 PSM WRX wagon

Originally posted by ounkny
    I hope the Mazdaspeed Miata does not have the same problem, but only time will tell. It takes a few months, sometimes a year to realize what known issues there are.
    Isn't the Mazdaspeed Miata going to feature the Renesis engine? If so, I don't forsee any issues with it.

-Jim

Originally posted by stevebennett
    Hey DTR Maxima, Nissan isn't gonna do turbo. They said the next Spec V will have 250+ hp and torque
    thats interesting. 250 from that car would be nuts. thats got to be low 14's if its running some type of lsd. i still think the turbo would be better... i really want to nissan to come out with a turbo 4door for cheap... i really love nissan it just seems they are falling away from sporty roots. the maxima and altima are huge and the 350z is quite expensive..
    SE-R is nice, but kinda slow, and needs sleaker looks. if nissan introduced an awd turbo car, i would more than likely forsure buy it.
    that 250hp SE-R is interesting, but when i am buying a new car i still think i would take wrx as top choice over it. its awd and ser interior sucks and doesnt get much traction.

Originally posted by Digitalfiend

So which car do you think has better handling and overall performance: a S2000 or a MS Miata?
    the MS miata will def. handle better. but for the money, I think the s2000 is a much better car. the new 04's are running high 13's with impecable handling and are probably the sexiest car on the road for under 35k with a hard top
    s2000 gets my vote for sure
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I think mazda has some of the best stock chassis set up of any manufacture. The new ms miata will be a great car and an even better auto-x car. Unforantely, the car is overpriced by about 5 grand. Sell it for 20K-22K and I bet they couldn't keep it on the showroom.

Originally posted by stevebennett
    They didn't do turbo. Lol, 250 hp from NA 4-banger from Nissan? Try 175 hp and check out their web site.

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Originally posted by snowcat
    They didn't do turbo. Lol, 250 hp from NA 4-banger from Nissan? Try 175 hp and check out their web site.

-snowcat
    he said the NEXT spec V is supposed to produce those numbers..
    but i am very scepticle about that. the car is running mid 15's as is with 175hp. if you bump that to 250 that an extra 75hp
    the car will easily be running lower 14's and i dont see nissan doing that, especially from an N/A 4 cylinder. it would be cool though. but without boost... i dont see it happening. maybe a bump to 200hp
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.