WTF is wrong with mazda?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WTF is wrong with mazda?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The MazdaSpeed Miata has been measured at 14.5 in the 1/4. I think that might make it a little faster ...

The MazdaSpeed Miata has been measured at 14.5 in the 1/4. I think that might make it a little faster from a role than a stock WRX. About the guy saying the Miata is weak, It would take a pretty heavily modded WRX to keep up with a stock MS Miata on the track, let alone autoX. I've beaten 600hp Vipers driven by a claimed 'professional' driver.by 10 secs on a autoX course in my wife's lightly modded Miata.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that must have been a curvy track for you to beat a 600hp viper cause if there are any straights...its game over.
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

they did it on purpose

I read a recent magazine article that said that Mazda tested a number of different engine configurations on the Mazdaspeed Miata, some of which had over 200 horsepower and much better straight line acceleration.

They ended up going with the 1.8L turbocharged and took off the variable valve timing and lowered the compression ratio considerably. One might argue that the car is de-tuned, not in the sense that it isn't a good configuration, but in the sense that it could be easily engineered to make more power.

Why did they de-tune it? With more power, they claimed the car was too difficult to handle. I think this is definitely possible. No matter how much power they gave the MS Miata it would never be a drag race winner, so really it didn't need that much more power. However, if it were to lose some of the handling balance that made the Miata the "best-selling sports car of all time" (don't know if that's true... guess it would depend on what qualifies for a sports car), it would have been a disaster.

why the rx8 is NA

I think it's important to remember that the RX-8 is not a replacement for the RX-7... it's not even close. But it does sport some of its heritage, including a smooth, high-revving rotary, a solid chassis, and well-balanced handling.

In my opinion, the reasons for choosing NA over FI for the RX-8 are powertrain reliability and lower costs. Recall that the turbo FC and FD were not reliable cars at all. Also recall that the reason why all the Japanese companies killed their high end sports cars (e.g. 300ZX, Supra, RX-7) was because they had become too expensive. If you look at their sales by years, you'll notice a gradual decline in sales until each model was discontinued.

I'm not thrilled by the introduction of the RX-8, but it's still better than nothing. I still think it is a good balance between all the things it was engineered to be a good balance of. It's a compromise car, not a true sports car.

Re: why the rx8 is NA

Originally posted by ounkny
    I think it's important to remember that the RX-8 is not a replacement for the RX-7... it's not even close. But it does sport some of its heritage, including a smooth, high-revving rotary, a solid chassis, and well-balanced handling.

In my opinion, the reasons for choosing NA over FI for the RX-8 are powertrain reliability and lower costs. Recall that the turbo FC and FD were not reliable cars at all. Also recall that the reason why all the Japanese companies killed their high end sports cars (e.g. 300ZX, Supra, RX-7) was because they had become too expensive. If you look at their sales by years, you'll notice a gradual decline in sales until each model was discontinued.

I'm not thrilled by the introduction of the RX-8, but it's still better than nothing. I still think it is a good balance between all the things it was engineered to be a good balance of. It's a compromise car, not a true sports car.

i agree with you but it is odd that those cars that declined in sales are now much more sought after, like the supra tt, rx7 tt, 300zx

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Yo, staright line speed is all dat matter dog!!!!

There is NOTHING wrong with Mazda, they make awesome handling cars that tend to be slightly underpowered, but extremely balanced. The only problem they have is that the RX-8 has no torque and a really bad clutch.

The Miata OWNs the WRX in the handling department. Also, a Jetta is not where near as light as a Miata....something called power to weight ratio

-joe

i'm driving a mazda protege 5 wagon rental while my wrx is in the shop. i'm sad to say this, but the handling and braking of the protege wagon (not the mazdaspeed mind you) is better than the wrx.

Yup. They're sought after by people like you and I, because there are no cars currently in production that are really as good. I think the closest thing we have right now are the 350Z and the RX-8, but if you want a true japanese sports car, you have to buy a used Supra TT, 300ZX TT, or an RX-7 TT. The only problem is that the RX-7 TT is horribly unreliable. I think the other two have proven reliability records.

Originally posted by subineer
    Yeah but the 3's are kinda cool for the money.
    No they arent fast, so what?? who cares! They are pretty cool.

If you want fast, get a fuggin Neon and tear out all the seats.
    And ironically... the 3's have the most power in their class.

If I had to ditch the WRX I'd seriously consider the 3.

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

i think most people agree that the miata and protege are good cars, even though they are not that fast in a straight line. the mazda3, mazda6, and rx-8 are all sort of along the same lines in the sense that they are not best-in-class in straight-line acceleration, but are hard (but certainly not impossible) to beat in the handling department.
    05 PSM WRX wagon

I happen to think Mazda is on the right track. I mean look at them a few years ago. Their cars were uninspiring and not selling well. The new 6, 3, rx8, turbo miata is just a taste of what the future will bring. There are rumors of a mazdaspeed rx8 coming out and rumors that mazda will inject every car in its lineup with mazdaspeed parts. I say its great. I'd rather buy the 3 than a civic anyday.

I am impressed with them and nissan the past few years. Now only if toyota would get its act together.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    I happen to think Mazda is on the right track. I mean look at them a few years ago. Their cars were uninspiring and not selling well. The new 6, 3, rx8, turbo miata is just a taste of what the future will bring. There are rumors of a mazdaspeed rx8 coming out and rumors that mazda will inject every car in its lineup with mazdaspeed parts. I say its great. I'd rather buy the 3 than a civic anyday.

I am impressed with them and nissan the past few years. Now only if toyota would get its act together.
    I agree... mazda has actually impressed me in recent years. and from the sounds of it, they are just getting started.
    Nissan has always been a great company, especially in the mid-late 90's and seem to be only getting better. they just need to get a turbo in that sentra vspec ser. I think a coupe version with a turbo would sell great.

as for toyota... they are pretty boring these days, but they make good, reliable, and practicle cars that sell VERY well.. why fix it if its not broken?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree about the comments concerning the Mazda 3. I'd buy it in a second over the Civic. Now they should offer it with boost!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I was thinking $25K for the MS Miata was a pretty good deal, not a rip-off. The base MSRP for the Miata is right at $22,000, so the premium for the MS is only about $3000. I know some people will think they could buy the base, get an aftermarket turbo and have a little more power for their $25,000 than they get from MS. But the MS also comes with a sport suspension and a 6-speed instead of the base 5-speed. I don't think you can upgrade your suspension, get a turbo kit, and do a 6-speed swap on a base Miata for just $3000, and if you did you wouldn't have that nice warranty anymore when you blow out the headgasket on the otherwise stock base motor. Heck, the last couple years LS model has cost over $25K and hasn't had anymore HP than the base Miata.

Also look at its competitor, the MR2 Spyder. That car has 138 HP and costs just over $25K. Now the Miata, at the same price, has 170 HP. Looks like a bargain to me for anyoen who might want a two seat roadster not costing in the $30's.

I Support ClubWRX
    My old Mazda MP3, in terms of handling, would wax the floor with my wrx, even with the suspension parts that I have. My friend just bought a 3 and he can keep up with me on off ramps and nice cruves. Mazda makes very well sorted cars. Instead of using power to compensate for the deficiencies of the car, they take a lot of time and engineer the chasis and suspension pieces correctly. You have obviously never driven a miata to understand why it is the car that brought the roadster back to life!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Originally posted by Fformula88
    I was thinking $25K for the MS Miata was a pretty good deal, not a rip-off. The base MSRP for the Miata is right at $22,000, so the premium for the MS is only about $3000. I know some people will think they could buy the base, get an aftermarket turbo and have a little more power for their $25,000 than they get from MS. But the MS also comes with a sport suspension and a 6-speed instead of the base 5-speed. I don't think you can upgrade your suspension, get a turbo kit, and do a 6-speed swap on a base Miata for just $3000, and if you did you wouldn't have that nice warranty anymore when you blow out the headgasket on the otherwise stock base motor. Heck, the last couple years LS model has cost over $25K and hasn't had anymore HP than the base Miata.

Also look at its competitor, the MR2 Spyder. That car has 138 HP and costs just over $25K. Now the Miata, at the same price, has 170 HP. Looks like a bargain to me for anyoen who might want a two seat roadster not costing in the $30's.
    i think thats what a lot of manufacturers are doing these days... taking a car that is often modded and offering it with the mods from the factory for cheaper than it would be to go aftermarket. plus you keep warranty.. IMO this is an awesome implementation into the automotive world.

although, with the mazda speed miata, supposedly it will sell for around $27k once it gets to dealerships. the problem i see in this is that for that price the s2000 and 350z are much better cars IMO.. they have more power to back it up with and dont feel as much like a death trap.. they you have the evo which is better in performance aspects + its a 4door.
    all those cars are a few grand more, but IMO its worth it and would take any of the above over a miata MS.
    i think what mazda is going to sell is the nimble, small, roadster feel which lost its way here in america.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast