1999+? Z28 LS1 with Exhaust
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1999+? Z28 LS1 with Exhaust within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i was at the gas station when a nice lookin black Z28 pulls up, he had the SS badging on ...

1999+? Z28 LS1 with Exhaust

i was at the gas station when a nice lookin black Z28 pulls up, he had the SS badging on it. I asked him if he was an SS, he said he was a stock Z28, but that he had full exhaust and he imagined to be at around 330-340 hp. Anyways...i told him i wanted to run him, and he agreed. We go on the highway, nobody on there, we line up count to 3 and let em rip. He took off fraction of a second quicker, but i took off right when i heard him go. Immediatelly i jump ahead, and by the end of 2nd gear im 3 cars ahead. 3rd gear we are even, and by the end of 3rd he starts pulling. Im still 2 good cars ahead, and its 90 mph, then i go to shift into 4th, and totally **** it up and miss, so i just leave it in neutral and he blows by me in about 1 second. I told him i missed 4th, he smiled and gave me the thumbs and i gave them back to him. Overall i was impressed. I only got the uppipe and Downpippe... I will admit, that by 100 mph, he prolly woulda had reeled me in, or maybe caught up. If we would do the 1/4 i would say that we would be pretty even, maybe i would edge him out by about .1 or so. Anyways, was a good run...was proud of the subie totally pulling on him in 1st and 2nd.

-Bobby D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

RSXracer200
    a low 13 second car up against a bairly modded rex.....sure thing

oops
    Last edited by mista618; 07-10-2002 at 09:01 PM.

rsx racer...

actually its a high 13 second car he could prolly do a 13.7 or so...maybe 13.5 if hes lucky. I would say that im pretty close to a 13.7 quarter, im goin to the track soon, so ill find out. Anyways, believe what u want bring out your RSX if u want, ill race you, and then u can tell me how slow my car is. Yawn.

-Bobby D

I agree, thats no low 13 sec car, nice try. Exhaust won't take off a half sec to your quarter mile on that car.

Low 13 second LS1's

It all depends on the car and the conditions. I've driven and seen dead stock LS1's run 13.2's in good air, and also seen them run 14.0 with a bad 6 speed driver, or a 2.73 rearend on an automatic car in summer heat.

If the guy had a catback exhaust on it, he probably also dropped the $125 for a cold air lid. Typical times for an LS1 equipped as such will be 13.0-13.5 at 105 mph-109 mph depending on the transmission and driver. Don't always believe the magazine times, but rely on what you see at the track on a regular basis.

It helps to know your competition. I'm a moderator over at an F-body website too: ubb.mfba.org

Peace.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

im not gonna lie...my car will not trap anywhere near as high as a LS1 f-body. But i do believe, i can take 90% of them if we race to about 90 mph. Which is a more typical streetable race, since u dont typically go to 110 on the street . Out of the whole, i will lay rapage to most RWD and FWD cars. Its just part of the territory when u race an AWD vehicle, dont expect to get the jump on them unless u got 2 foot wide tires of slicks. Sure...if we go to 100+ mph, then those LS1's will come quick on my ass and pass me up like im standing still. But who cares if it takes them till 100+ to catch up, then i consider the race a win for me. Thats just my 2 cents. I love the LS1 cars, they are nice, but off the line, they just dont pack enough punch to keep up with me unless they are seriously modded.

-Bobby D

i believe this story...maybe the Z28 started off a gear too high or something, but even if he didn't....its a believable race. BobbyD's car is prob easily into the 13's now, and i doubt that Z28 is that much quicker until 100+
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

Street racing, anything is possible.

I agree with Turbowrx, not that it matters. SO THERE!

02 Blue WRX
    www.turboxs.com Stage 4 pkg.

- VF-30 Turbo, Upgraded ECU, full exhaust 4" downpipe, K&N, Blitz digital boost controller, RFL blow-off valve, Upgraded ECU, Upgraded Fuel pump, Upgraded Fuel Injectors, stage 4 clutch, and light weight fly wheel. Headers soon-

Not the old LS1 Z28s run low 13s or faster arguement again. Being a former LS1 owner and also someone who frequents the track regularly, they don't run low 13s on average. Very few do. Even a 2002 z28, SS with Evan Smith, one of the best drivers around can bearly run low 13s. Most run mid to high 13s @ 105 mph on average. Yes some faster, but yes some slower. I see them run high 13s and low 14s all the time at Brandenton Motorpark.

I consistantly beat LS1, Z28S, TA's, etc with WRX when it had Turboxs stage 2 setup.

Just don't try racing one on the highway with nothing but a boost controller. That wouldn't be smart. But from a dead stop, a lightly modded WRX can definately beat an LS1 up to 90mph or so. I know because I did it all the time.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Not the old LS1 Z28s run low 13s or faster arguement again. Being a former LS1 owner and also someone who frequents the track regularly, they don't run low 13s on average. Very few do. Even a 2002 z28, SS with Evan Smith, one of the best drivers around can bearly run low 13s. Most run mid to high 13s @ 105 mph on average. Yes some faster, but yes some slower. I see them run high 13s and low 14s all the time at Brandenton Motorpark.

I consistantly beat LS1, Z28S, TA's, etc with WRX when it had Turboxs stage 2 setup.

Just don't try racing one on the highway with nothing but a boost controller. That wouldn't be smart. But from a dead stop, a lightly modded WRX can definately beat an LS1 up to 90mph or so. I know because I did it all the time.
    If you're running in hot humid FL weather, then I agree with the times you stated. Spring and Fall in the Chicago area always produce better numbers around here, however. Of course, that applies to all cars running in cooler conditions, lower humidity, and nice barometer readings. No matter how you slice it though, if you've got a WRX set up to show tailights to an LS1 to 100+ mph, you've done a good job.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    No matter how you slice it though, if you've got a WRX set up to show tailights to an LS1 to 100+ mph, you've done a good job.
    This is one of the BEST QUOTES EVER!

I couldn't agree more. LS1 powered F-bodies are fast cars. If your WRX is faster, kudos to you!

-Jim

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk

If you're running in hot humid FL weather, then I agree with the times you stated. Spring and Fall in the Chicago area always produce better numbers around here, however. Of course, that applies to all cars running in cooler conditions, lower humidity, and nice barometer readings. No matter how you slice it though, if you've got a WRX set up to show tailights to an LS1 to 100+ mph, you've done a good job.
    You have it right. My first goal with my WRX was to beat a stock LS1 in the 1/4 mile. You know that if you can beat one of them. You have a fast car.
    And about the heat/humidity/rain down here you have no idea. It sucks. I've been rained out for about 2 months straight. I will have to wait until November just to run in some decent air.

mista618

As an Ex federal law enforcer, I would strongly recommend that you delete your reply. You just made a verbal treat and if the member chooses to reports it to the police, a warrant for your arrest would be issued. Threatening someone with bodily harm and the possibility of using a deadly weapon constitutes a felony.
    Just a word of advise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.