2002 WRX VS. 2000 Lightning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX VS. 2000 Lightning within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I wanted to take the time to let all WRX owners know about my run in with a new WRX ...

Thumbs up 2002 WRX VS. 2000 Lightning

I wanted to take the time to let all WRX owners know about my run in with a new WRX on Beach Blvd. in SoCal on Friday night

As the owner of a Red 2000 Ford Lightning (slightly modded)(450 rwhp / 525 ftlbs of torque) I had the pleasure of running against a new WRX from both a stop light (side by side) and a roll on (20 mph)

I never in my wildest dreams thought that the little silver car with the fancy fog lights and big old hood scoop would be so damn fast

I was able to hook up the big meats on the lightning from the stop light start (Thank God) and I pulled away from the WRX while wringing out all 12 pounds of supercharged boost

The WRX did not fade away thou, we both pushed hard up to 70 mph, and even thou I was in front, I was not waaaay out in front

I felt like pulling over to see if the guy had attached a rope to my tow hitch somehow....lol

I love my Lightning, and even thou its a mid 12 second runner, I was very impressed with the power of the WRX

Impressed enough that I had better get the 125 hp shot of nitrous before I run up against anymore of these "Faster than ****" WRX's

Great car guys, enjoy

And if you are cruising in Socal (Orange County), and you see a RED Lightning, hard tonneau cover with a race wing, and the logo "Fear This" on the windshield.......leave my ass alone....Ha!
    (I am not about to tempt fate against a similarly modded WRX)

At 4800 lbs, the Lightning needs alot of brute HP & Torque to even out the power to weight ratio of the AWD WRX

00 Lightning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

damn man sounds like you guys had a good run! that WRX had to be modded though to keep up with you like that it's also nice to see that you show some respect for WRX's...i give Lightnings much respect scary fast trucks
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

I had the pleasure of seeing a white lightening drop me like a rock from 50+. It had an Eaton Inside logo on the back. It was on the 15 going south a few weeks ago. I had my rear windows down and I was looking to move over into the slow lane to avoid traffic when I see this white truck behind me then heard the shriek of his SC...surprised the hell out of me because I wasnt expecting it. I was caught out of gear in low boost, but wouldnt have made a damn bit of difference that thing just got up and moved out! Very, very cool to watch and hear.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

I'm surprised the WRX hung with you so close due to your good hook up. He must have had some decent mods. Nice truck.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Re: 2002 WRX VS. 2000 Lightning

"I was able to hook up the big meats on the lightning from the stop light start (Thank God) and I pulled away from the WRX while wringing out all 12 pounds of supercharged boost"

the WRX didn't launch??? good run tho.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

2002 WRX VS. 2000 Lightning

The WRX launched good from the stop light, but his revs were to high before the light and he smoked his tires enough to allow me to get an early jump

I had my foot on the brake, revved up to 1100 rpm, and when the light changed I pushed the gas pedal so hard I thought I was dragging my foot on the asphalt

Sometimes its nice to have an automatic

When your supercharger is screaming, your ******* is puckered, and your balls are climbing up into your throat, who needs to worry about shifting.......lol

Even with the HP that the Lightning puts out, the Goodyear F1 295/45/ZR18's are pretty sticky and will usually reward you with a good hook up (if you are careful). Otherwise you can destroy an expensive ($200 + each) set of tires relatively quickly

70 MPH comes real fast when your on the boost, and the WRX was classy enough to NOT do a "Fly By" after he realized that he was beaten

As I stated earlier, a similarly modded WRX would have given me fits....and now I have a definate appreciation of the WRX profile when I see it coming in my rear view mirror....Ha!

Happy Hunting Everyone,

I'm waiting like the rest of you for the new Dodge SRT10 Pickup
    503 cu in, 500 hp, 500 ft lbs of torque, 6 speed tranny, 24 inch tires..........$50,000.00 plus dealer markup........NOT.....I think I will keep my $32,000.00 Lightning with $1,000.00 worth of mods

00 Lightning

lightnings are ****ing nice... i love that truck. its the meanest lookin thing... i've actually lined up twice with 2 different ones but they didn't wanted to run...
    Last edited by mista618; 07-08-2002 at 12:38 PM.

Its people like you that make owning fast cars fun. I respect you a lot for respecting us. Lightnings are great trucks, fast as hell, and they look very nice I'm stock for now and wouldn't want to line up to you, if you know what I mean Like people said above I doubt you raced a stock WRX. Great run and nice to hear from the other side of the story.

Adam

02 Sedan

Great run!

Lightnings are awesome machines. The best sleepers to those who don't know cars! Thanks for keeping it respectful and fun, it's better for everyone!

Great Run! Thanks for the story!
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Lightnings are faster than I thought!

When my WRX was stock I was able to race a few different Lightnings and for some reason in my mind I thought the WRX could take the Lightning, was I wrong. I was amazed at how fast it was. Well I decided that my car needed some upgrades to be able to contend with such cars as Lightnings, SS's/TA's, and Cobras. Now I happy to say my WRX is finally done (started in Feb done in July) and I m ready for a Lightning re-match and others. I will be looking for you Metro Detroit Lightnings.

02 Blue WRX
    www.turboxs.com Stage 4 pkg.

- VF-30 Turbo, Upgraded ECU, full exhaust 4" downpipe, K&N, Blitz digital boost controller, RFL blow-off valve, Upgraded ECU, Upgraded Fuel pump, Upgraded Fuel Injectors, stage 4 clutch, and light weight fly wheel. Headers soon-

RIP - 2001 Lightning, Build #3661

525 HP
    607 TQ
    11.72 best 1/4

Lost to a m'f ing red light runner - may he die

Last edited by Master Of Pain; 07-09-2002 at 08:45 PM.

Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    11.72 best 1/4

That's an awesome 1/4 mile! I've never seen a Lightning get out of the 12s at Atco.

-Jim

Originally posted by Master Of Pain

RIP - 2001 Lightning, Build #3661

525 HP
    607 TQ
    11.72 best 1/4
    That is a sweet 1/4 time! So sorry to hear of your loss, I'm glad that you're ok.

BTW, welcome aboard the board. Hope the future is kinder to you. What you gonna replace that Lightning with?...
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by WRXed
    [B]

That is a sweet 1/4 time! So sorry to hear of your loss, I'm glad that you're ok.

BTW, welcome aboard the board. Hope the future is kinder to you. What you gonna replace that Lightning with?... [/Bb]
    I'm playing with my new WRX Sedan toy. Miss the raw torque and the boost, but the traction is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast