stage4 vs. BPU
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stage4 vs. BPU within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; not really vs the world but.... i notice that a lot of people that are stage4 with basic supporting mods ...

stage4 vs. BPU

not really vs the world but....
    i notice that a lot of people that are stage4 with basic supporting mods run about high 12's and several others are doing low 13's.
    i know some do mid 12's but it seems the majority do high12's to low 13's.

heres the thing. stage4 costs over 4grand.
    but you can run low 13's on mods like (tires, IC hoses, MBC, TBE, uppipe)
    i understand that a stage4 has faster spool, better traps, pulls MUCH harder uptop... but you can go BPU for about $1200 and only be few ticks slower than stage4.
    I understand that a stage4 is more reliable with boost and all, but it seems to reach near full potential at mid 12's without more work.
    it just seems odd that $1200 of bpu are making *almost* similar results to a vf30 with supporting mods.

any reason behind this?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    good question, I have wondered the same thing myself.
    2003 SRT-4

A vf30 doesn't flow a whole lot more than a stock turbine. That's why most people are ditching the whole IHI replacements alltogether.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

a stage 4 can be had for cheaper depending on what corners you cut, but i think mainly the IHI turbos are good for street, not putting too much power on motor or tranny. they spool only a bit slower than stock with decent top end. A Driver running low 13's with light mods, can usually run a mid 12 with stg4 depending on the tune. but i figure if ure gonna spend bucks, go big.
    Last edited by POLAR; 04-22-2004 at 12:21 AM.

For about the same price you can get an 18g or t3/t4
    Mods

Re: stage4 vs. BPU

Its all about turbo selection...the smaller vf series turbos are for spool up so thats why you usually see them in the high 12's low 13's. The bigger turbos vf22/16g/18/pe series etc are generally in the lower 12's.

But to answer your question yes you can run low 13's on "bpu" mods. People are making around 250-260 awhp on stock turbos which is good for a low 13 second pass which just the basic bolt ons (turbo back/hoses/up pipe/boost control) The difference between those setups and a vf30 setup is how hard the turbo is working. Normally you see the people running 12's on a stock turbo pushing upwards of 18+psi where as the vf30 people are pushing 16-18psi to run those numbers.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I would say that the diff. is trap speed. If you see bpu's running low 13's its usually at 101-103 trap speed. "Most" stage 4's run 105-111 on IhI turbos and even higher w/some bigger snails.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Re: Re: stage4 vs. BPU

Originally posted by SERacing
    Its all about turbo selection...the smaller vf series turbos are for spool up so thats why you usually see them in the high 12's low 13's. The bigger turbos vf22/16g/18/pe series etc are generally in the lower 12's.

But to answer your question yes you can run low 13's on "bpu" mods. People are making around 250-260 awhp on stock turbos which is good for a low 13 second pass which just the basic bolt ons (turbo back/hoses/up pipe/boost control) The difference between those setups and a vf30 setup is how hard the turbo is working. Normally you see the people running 12's on a stock turbo pushing upwards of 18+psi where as the vf30 people are pushing 16-18psi to run those numbers.
    I don't think there are any 260 awhp wrx's on stocj turbine. There is only one wrx in the world dynoing at 250 awp on stock turbo, and the fastest he ran was a high 12. It's very unlikely for a stock turbo car to get a 12 sec pass.
    Mods

i know what you guys are saying and all... but it would seem not only easier, but much cheaper to just BPU than stage4. it almost seems pointless to with a stage4 unless you plan to do much more work... which generally doesnt happen..

also, if the vf22 is so much faster than the 30+ series than why dont more people just buy the vf22... if memory serves me right its pretty much the same price and even cheaper than the vf34
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by DTR maxima

also, if the vf22 is so much faster than the 30+ series than why dont more people just buy the vf22... if memory serves me right its pretty much the same price and even cheaper than the vf34

its cheaper, but has more lag. my 34 is as laggy as i would want.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

fre
    Originally posted by ebr0t
    its cheaper, but has more lag. my 34 is as laggy as i would want.
    I wouldn't mind more lag than my vf34, but if I am going to lag more I am going to go fast as terds when it spools (see t67 turbo kit)

18g for me please.
    Mods

after using the VF22 for almost 1K miles now, i'm just now beginning to enjoy the benefit(s) and fun of having it. it's only set to 16 psi right now, though it's capable of pushing +-20 psi. i don't mind that lag at all. you'll compensate that lag as soon as the turbo hits full boost. i don't think i have spent $4k on my setup.

we were tunning my friends RSX-S with stage 1 cybernation kit (t3/t4) boosting at 7 psi. he was only able to hit full throttle at up to 7K rpm because he was having some boost creep problems after 7K rpm. he was tunning on 4th. i was measuring how fast my WRX by trying to pace or race him while tunning at (I85). at 16 psi i was passing him (granted I was at 3rd gear and he was tunning in 4th) not easy passing, but I work my car to redline.

my point is, when I had the stock turbo, I won't even come close to his car - specially when on a roll. with the VF22, at least I'm able to pace him or even able to pass him.

Re: Re: Re: stage4 vs. BPU

Originally posted by ilivas
    I don't think there are any 260 awhp wrx's on stocj turbine. There is only one wrx in the world dynoing at 250 awp on stock turbo, and the fastest he ran was a high 12. It's very unlikely for a stock turbo car to get a 12 sec pass.
    You're right, my bad 250 awhp...its not common but it happens. Most people looking to go fast just swap out the turbo asap.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Me as the driver

My best time with stage 2 - unichip, exhaust, boost controller
    (13.3 @ 100 mph)
    My best time with my stage 4- vf30, unichip, exhaust, uppipe, injectors, fuel pump, boost controller.
    (12.7 @ 108mph)

So as you can see thats a pretty big gap. .6 tenth in the 1/4 mile and 8 mph in trap speed.

But as mentioned already, where you will see the biggest difference is on the top end. A stock or lightly modded WRX has very little top end speed. Upgrading the turbo lets you run with the big boys like the LS1's. Without it your done at about 80mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast