stage4 vs. BPU - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on stage4 vs. BPU within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by MidKnight If you're gonna live your life at the track, then that's fine, go stage II and ...

Originally posted by MidKnight
    If you're gonna live your life at the track, then that's fine, go stage II and be happy that you can pull low 13's. But most people don't live their lives at the track. There is NO comparison between a stage II and stage VI car daily driven. The difference is night and day.

I agree. The ability like I said before to merge in 4th. The additional passing power up top on highway. And its just soo damn fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by DTR maxima
    if some of you guys are fully boosting with a up/dp at about 2800rpms does that put your gas mileage to crap.. or is it not realliy even noticeable?
    Hmm, you got me curious, so I looked. The average of my mpg from the day I bought the car to when I reflashed to Cobb AccessECU Stage 1 was 27.5mpg.

From that point to the week I installed my catback:27.09mpg.
    From that point to the week I installed my downpipe:27.4mpg.
    There is a 1 week period of driving between this time and when I reflashed to Stage 2. I don't have a mileage data point for that time.

Since reflashing, 26.9mpg.

So all in all, I wouldn't say that my mileage has suffered measurably over the two years that I've owned it. Plus I think I hit the gas harder and more often now then I used to, since the mods have made it so much more enjoyable. Yes, I know my mileage is unusually high for this car. Over half of my commute is highway...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Originally posted by MidKnight
    If you're gonna live your life at the track, then that's fine, go stage II and be happy that you can pull low 13's. But most people don't live their lives at the track. There is NO comparison between a stage II and stage VI car daily driven. The difference is night and day. Not saying that one is ultimately better than the other, just that they are so different. Try racing an M3 on the highway with a stage II and let me know how much you lose by. But for low speed passes and just needing quick bursts on demand, Stage II is where it's at. With my 1820, I've been caught off boost a few times... a GT mustang had me from 30mph ( I was in third gear) until I downshifted and left him standing.

Depending on what is important to you and where you do most of your driving really has the most bearing on what kind of setup you want. I spend 80% of my driving tme on the highway, so i went with something big.
    Well said

(?) does anyone know how diff the 0-60 time is from stage 3 to stage 4? Guess it would depend on the turbo using w/ stage 4.

Originally posted by soulsweeper
    I have a vf22 and I hate the lag. I was in 2800 RPM or so in 2nd gear..and this guy who wanted to race me just took off without a warning. (Acura Legend with mild mods) I had to wait til end of third gear to pass him...since the distance was so far. (It took forever for my vf22 to spool)
    VF34 spools up much much faster....and still have pretty good top end from what I heard.

-soul
    wow, i hear all the time that the 22 only adds a couple hundred rpms in lag. when are you fully spooled (roughly) ? 3300 rpms or so?

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    wow, i hear all the time that the 22 only adds a couple hundred rpms in lag. when are you fully spooled (roughly) ? 3300 rpms or so?

dR

im spooled at like 3300.. vf22 normally is around 3700 i believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Yep, you beat me to it. You can bpu all day, and you still won't have a ton of highway pull with the stock TD04. I'm running TBE and the Stage 2 reflash, and 4th gear is still death for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes after my VF34 is installed.

Exactly. Going just by 1/4mi figures doesnt tell the story. The difference in the power and pull on the highway between a bpu and a stage 4 is huge..there is no comparison. If you want the WRX to run with the big dogs above 100mph then the stock turbo setup has gotta go. A properly tuned VF-30/34 stage 4 car is just getting into the meat of its power band at 110mph in 4th and pulls very strong all the way to redline.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Hmm, you got me curious, so I looked. The average of my mpg from the day I bought the car to when I reflashed to Cobb AccessECU Stage 1 was 27.5mpg.

From that point to the week I installed my catback:27.09mpg.
    From that point to the week I installed my downpipe:27.4mpg.
    There is a 1 week period of driving between this time and when I reflashed to Stage 2. I don't have a mileage data point for that time.

Since reflashing, 26.9mpg.

So all in all, I wouldn't say that my mileage has suffered measurably over the two years that I've owned it. Plus I think I hit the gas harder and more often now then I used to, since the mods have made it so much more enjoyable. Yes, I know my mileage is unusually high for this car. Over half of my commute is highway...
    I like your initiative
    thanks for taking the time to find that out.

thats awesome that your are boosting at over 1k rpm sooner and creating much more power while retaining relatively the same gas mileage
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I don't know about you guys but stages I-III are the precursor for a bigger turbo setup. I have enjoyed my stages and am now about to slap on an 18 or 20g. The earlier stages were fun in themselves but for me they are to become supporting mods for my ultimate goals of making approx. 320whp on pump gas. For me TBE, boost controller, up pipe, upgraded intercooler + hoses, engine management, etc. are the essentials in making a reliable and maximized stage IV setup. My .02, Matt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123