stage4 vs. BPU - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stage4 vs. BPU within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yep, you beat me to it. You can bpu all day, and you still won't have a ton of highway ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, you beat me to it. You can bpu all day, and you still won't have a ton of highway pull with the stock TD04. I'm running TBE and the Stage 2 reflash, and 4th gear is still death for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes after my VF34 is installed.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I <3 being able to merge in 4th
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

its a matter of preference. A BPU car is perfectly fine for most street situations... take mine for example only real mod being an accessecu. Even with only 500 bucks, im not making much less boost than the stage II guys. I get to slap around a fair amount of cars, but the car does not pull as hard as an SRT4 or, an LS1. In stock form, i wouldnt be able to pull on your maxima, now itd probably be dead even from a 40 roll. Why? because even with boost in the low 15's, there isnt much room for improvement. the turbo is really too small to make a good amount of power. A VF30 is more like what the 2.0 STi (japanese) has.
    A VF34 would spool more like stock turbo, but will get guys over the 100mph hump in the quarter instantly.

The only advantage of a stage II over a stage IV would be cost, and reliablilty. But the inner redneck wants enough power to suck you into your seat at any speed.

Our 4th gear BLOWS!, it takes a bigger turbo to eliminate the brick wall, but its still there.

So while stage IV alone will break a stock tranny, a new turbo and gearset will improve highspeed pulling power, and the reliability.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i know what you guys are saying and all... but it would seem not only easier, but much cheaper to just BPU than stage4. it almost seems pointless to with a stage4 unless you plan to do much more work... which generally doesnt happen..

also, if the vf22 is so much faster than the 30+ series than why dont more people just buy the vf22... if memory serves me right its pretty much the same price and even cheaper than the vf34
    I have a vf22 and I hate the lag. I was in 2800 RPM or so in 2nd gear..and this guy who wanted to race me just took off without a warning. (Acura Legend with mild mods) I had to wait til end of third gear to pass him...since the distance was so far. (It took forever for my vf22 to spool)
    VF34 spools up much much faster....and still have pretty good top end from what I heard.

VF22 doesn't have THAT much more top end than 34. ( I believe there is only 30cfm diff)
    VF22 was real cheap and still is really cheap. That's why I chose it.
    However...if I were to get a new turbo now...it would be either vf34...or 18g.

-soul

But u guys are forgeting what about stage 3? I think that pulls all the potential out of the stock turbo. Thats what im running now unfortunately i havent ran any times w/ it but with great tunning and some nice tires i think a 12.99 is possible.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking that most people skip over Stage 3, simply because of the gain per dollar factor. You can spend $1000 for a bigger intercooler, and gain a few hp, or spend $1200-$1300 for a VF34 kit, and get a sizable gain.

This is all assuming that you already are set up with some kind of engine management, and can easily pull in a map to accomodate the ic.

OTOH, I can see where there would be people who really want to extract the maximum from the stock turbo, simply because it spools up so nicely at lower rpms. That's great stuff for driving around town!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

ya i think stage 3 can really be nasty from 0-80 but after that its like a chevy lumina.. well not that bad but u get what i mean. But You can find a used TMIC for 600 now days a used turbo w/ injectors and pump thats all stuff hard to do yourself gotta pay for instulation for most people im guessing. Plus i like stage 3 for its safety measure. Its not as hard on the tranny, the spool factor, and its not as nessecary to upgrade suspension. But its all about what u like u know. I think stage 4 is awsome for trap speeds and Ive never rode in one but i can imagine the type of pull when that giant turbo spools all the way up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00312.jpg  

Ok, I feel like a complete idiot for asking this, but....
    What's BPU? It's not in the common acronyms and I couldn't really tell by searching.

edit: nevermind I found it BPU = Basic Performance Upgrade
    we should add that to the acronyms
    Last edited by mourning_air; 04-26-2004 at 10:32 AM.
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

Originally posted by WRXnProgress
    But u guys are forgeting what about stage 3? I think that pulls all the potential out of the stock turbo. Thats what im running now unfortunately i havent ran any times w/ it but with great tunning and some nice tires i think a 12.99 is possible.
    well yeah, but thats exactly my point.. top end and high traps aside... on a stage II even with running about 15.5psi you can pull lower 13's. 13.1-13.4
    where as on average most stageIV people are pulling 12.8-13.1
    I can see where you all are coming from though. if a stock turbo is putting out those times its being pushed to its potential, where as a vf turbo is running those high 12's at lower psi and not nearly at its potential. but it seems for it to get more towards its potential like low 12's costs a butt load of more money..

rayfieldswrx: so by doing most BPU upgrades on a rex (TBE, up, BC, hoses, etc..) this gets you are really good and quick spool up on the stock turbo?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, my experience has been that the downpipe made a very noticeable difference in spoolup, and the reflash contributed, but perhaps to a smaller degree. I don't yet have my uppipe in, but everybody raves over how much it helps. People are talking about having full boost at 26-2700 rpm, which is great.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Full boost at 2400 rpm.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Ya with the uppipe it spools really really fast its like if im cruising at idle like 5 mph in first i floor it and i mean coulpe seconds later im at full boost and the car is beggin for me to shift so yea i like the spool of stock turbo alot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ilivas
    Full boost at 2400 rpm.
    Awesome!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're gonna live your life at the track, then that's fine, go stage II and be happy that you can pull low 13's. But most people don't live their lives at the track. There is NO comparison between a stage II and stage VI car daily driven. The difference is night and day. Not saying that one is ultimately better than the other, just that they are so different. Try racing an M3 on the highway with a stage II and let me know how much you lose by. But for low speed passes and just needing quick bursts on demand, Stage II is where it's at. With my 1820, I've been caught off boost a few times... a GT mustang had me from 30mph ( I was in third gear) until I downshifted and left him standing.

Depending on what is important to you and where you do most of your driving really has the most bearing on what kind of setup you want. I spend 80% of my driving tme on the highway, so i went with something big.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

if some of you guys are fully boosting with a up/dp at about 2800rpms does that put your gas mileage to crap.. or is it not realliy even noticeable?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast