3000GT, potential?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 3000GT, potential? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Drove the Cobra to a local tuner last night cause a friend was going on the dyno to get a ...

3000GT gets walked

Drove the Cobra to a local tuner last night cause a friend was going on the dyno to get a custom flash. There were several people there asking me about stuff on my car. Even this other 03 Cobra owner, very annoying guy, about a 60yr old redneck guy kept talking about his car was "nosing over and falling on its face at the top of third". The redneck guy just kept blabbering. There was 2 younger guys walking around with him asking lots of less annoying questions (my intercooler, 2.76 pulley, ported blower...), thought they were acquainted, assumed they came up in his Cobra. Anyway my friend got tuned, was not happy with the results, I chatted for a bit more and then took off. About 2 miles down the road this black 3000GT pulls out of a side street just as I pass and flies up on my bumper as I slow to make a left turn. I know it is on at this time. I hold it in 2nd to let him get lined up and then he jumps. I wind 2nd and grab 3rd, hold till 6500 and then to 4th as I look in the rearview and see him about 3 cars back, (took like 5 seconds to put him from beside me at wide open throttle to 3 cars back in a barrage of Borla assault.)
    I get on the brakes hard to haul it back down to 45 and he comes alongside all thumbs up, turns out it was the two young guys from the dyno shop that were standing near the redneck.
    Pulled over and talked he said he was "tuned to the max the stock twin turbos would allow, going aftermarket next week, should be 550 hp then"

I have no knowlegde of 3000GT's and did not have time more to chat as I was blocking the road pulled over next to him on a side street and traffic was coming. He had a passenger too.
    Just got the live axle in and my car is pulling hard with no wheel hop at all.

Anybody know more about them?
    Last edited by postban; 04-20-2004 at 11:55 AM.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

3000 GT.... FWD non-turbo = not that great

3000GT VR-4 = V-6 AWD twin-turbo... it hauls ass...

Those VR-4 are no joke. I rode in my friends 92 BPU VR-6. And yes... it hauls.... all 4000 lb of it.

edit: VR-4
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

They are pretty heavy. Nice run there.

The stock VR4 is not all that impressive IMO. However, now that they are older and relatively inexpensive to procure people are really starting to mod the heck out of them. With turbo upgrades they can be absolute beasts.

The guy who bought my stock TD04 is planning to put a pair of them on his VR4 with some basic fabrication work. Apparently the stock VR4 turbos are really small, but this guy expects to get around 600chp with the two TD04's.

Like alot of older blown cars the basic rule is 'you never know.' They could be tame or they could be monsters.

Mine's about as far as you can go on the stock turbos. It should be enough to compare well against a stock 03 Cobra but not after mods.

With bigger turbos they start to pick up, but so far it seems most of the modders in the last 10 years have just strapped on equipment and not gone much faster. Mine will be changing that soon when I finally get my TD05-16g's. They dwarf the stockers without much resulting lag, easily putting trap speeds over 120.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    anyone seen the "vr4atnopi" video? The one with the guy racing the porsche over and over for money? It's a classic.

The vr-4 models came with TT sixes making 320hp and had AWD. They weighed like 4k lbs though.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    anyone seen the "vr4atnopi" video? The one with the guy racing the porsche over and over for money? It's a classic.

The vr-4 models came with TT sixes making 320hp and had AWD. They weighed like 4k lbs though.
    Yup. That 3000gt running "15psi" beating up on a genuine almighty 911 turbo is a pretty selling video
    '03 white rex

I think the car from that video is for sale now.

My friend's is too:

http://proboostmbc.hypermart.net/stealth/

Only $15k will send you home in a very nice car that turns 11.60s.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

A buddy of mine has a 95 twin turbo stealth with around 450 hp and it runs pretty good. He was running mid to high 12s at the track and having traction problems.

the most pressure on those 9b's (stock turbos) that you can run is about 12.5, putting his car up to 12.5 added 20-30 more horse to his engine, plus you said he was running the max he can on those turbos? does that include bolt ons? if it does he must have intake/exhaust putting him at other extra 15-20 ponies

if he was just 12.5psi, 320-330 at crank
    intake and exhaust added, 340-350 at crank

if he was jsut running max PSI possible on stock internals my guess is he's running about mid 13's, 13.5-13.6 and trapping in the low 100's
    Last edited by Brians3000GT; 04-21-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Have you never seen my car, on 3si.org or click my sig? I run stock turbos and stock internals. Stock cat-back and fuel pump too. I run 12.5 @ 109 at 18 psi. 12 psi? That's stock.

Nothing is removed; it weighs 4030-4075 lbs depending on the amount of fuel in it. I contribute 275 of those lbs
    John M

Re: 3000GT gets walked

Originally posted by postban

Just got the live axle in and my car is pulling hard with no wheel hop at all.
    THIS is what caught MY eye....
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar

Re: Re: 3000GT gets walked

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    THIS is what caught MY eye....
    I usually only read the title, and first sentence of posts.
    2003 SRT-4

I had to read the whole thing with a lead in like, "Drove the Cobra to a local tuner last night cause a friend was going on the dyno to get a custom flash".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.