3000GT, potential? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 3000GT, potential? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by John M Have you never seen my car, on 3si.org or click my sig? I run stock ...

Originally posted by John M
    Have you never seen my car, on 3si.org or click my sig? I run stock turbos and stock internals. Stock cat-back and fuel pump too. I run 12.5 @ 109 at 18 psi. 12 psi? That's stock.

Nothing is removed; it weighs 4030-4075 lbs depending on the amount of fuel in it. I contribute 275 of those lbs
    12psi = stock second gen boost

i was assuming this was a first gen at 9-10

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Veilside 3000 GT VR-4 makes 1400 hp, and made 1100 hp on the stock bottom end. When you get that high up, the AWD has to be removed. However, I have seen an 800 hp version the the street with 30/70 AWD. Worked VERY well, and is very impressive.

cyndicate did they mention how the got the 30/70 rear wheel bias? and no, when you're up in that horsepower range it's perfectly fine to still put the power 45/55 like the stock VR-4 does, i've seen 800-1000 horsepower VR-4's that are fine, just like the GT-R's that make 1000+ hp and do pefectly fine as well

i heard about using the wrx turbos in place of the 9bs. maybe i get to find out soon enough. 3kgt tuners are really going down the crap tube. no one seems to be moding them they are really heavy. I reserve mine for more show than go.
    WRB WRX wagon
    More to come.

The cyndicate is clueless.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

On the veilside fact sheet on the car, they said they HAD to remove the AWD because it kept killing itself. If they say it, then I believe it, it was/is their car. Like I said, the 800 hp VR4 still had it in tact.

I dont know how he changed the ratio on that thing, I had no part in making it. I am just going off of what he said.

Folks, nobody who owns a 3S cares about the weight. So it weighs 3800 lbs. It also handles, stops, and goes as well as anything else out there. Sound untrue? See how it compares here:

http://stealth316.com/2-mt5-99.htm

Does it win? No. Does it lose? No. It's about middle of the pack which is not bad at all considering the group of cars in the test. This "too heavy" car cut .95 lateral g's.

To run 12.50s you need injectors (used DSM 450s will do), a SAFC, and a downpipe. That's it. That erases the speed deficit caused by the weight in stock form.

The reason you see cars with a lot of mods and nothing to show for it is that the 3S vendors seem to be more interested in profit than in fast cars. They sell tons of mods that aren't needed until you first replace the turbos. Nobody understands that 12s are cheap.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

hey I have a 3kgt and I think the weight IS an issue...i didn't know about the .95 g's that is very interesting...with the eibachs I put on there and new tires I think i might actually be hitting .98. very cool. do you have a wrx too? John M?
    WRB WRX wagon
    More to come.

Cyndicate, the reason, i'm guessing, that they were having tranny problems is because they didn't send it off to Kormex which is what all serious turbo 3S drivers do after 400+hp(~refer to john M for further insight) regardless of the VR-4's weight which is sooo easy to lighten, it still handles just as nimbly as any car i've ever driven - i've driven Evo's, done up eclipses, WRX's, Mercedez, 300ZX's, the VR-4 would keep up with all of them handling wise...

about a year ago during the summer, i brought my friend with me to test drive a first gen VR-4, my buddy himself has a nice 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 bone stock LT-1 that still hauls ass and handles fairly well. After we got into the car I took him for a spin up and down this little 2 lane per direction stretch for a few. Finally i had to go back to the sellers house so i head back in that direction, there's a 90 degree angle turn that i have to make to turn into the housing development and it's across the opposite direction 2 lanes, it was clear so i kept the car a little over 40mph and explained to my buddy that "the 4wheel steering kicks in around 35, we're going 43" ... after which i said that i slammed the wheel all the way to the left making a perfect 90 degree turn at about 43-44mph and the car gripped perfectly, as if it was on rails. This was a bone stock VR-4 with no mods, my friend almost **** himself and told me how happy i was that i did that.

....any of you that question the VR-4 i dare you to try that in your STOCK WRX, let me know of the outcome

I really do like a WRX STi, but racing a VR-4 would be like a goldfish fighting a great white. EVEN in cornering. The WRX has its own perks, I dont remember what the exact price was for a VR-4, and I am too lazy to look it up right now, but I would say it would be a LOT more than a STi.

Honestly, as far as mods go, you cant get much better than a VR-4. Only the Supra gets close to what you can do with it. Stock bottom end Supras running 800 hp, and Stock bottom end VR-4s running over 1000 hp.

Think about this, getting 1600 hp out of your import car, using the same exact engine it came with. THATS what you can do with a 3000GT VR-4.

more like 1000hp on stock bottom end on a supra, you can also do that with a skyline. a 3000gt is not even in the same class as these cars, as it's modability is no where near that of either of the listed cars.
    Mods

My friend actually has a bone stock 98 VR-4, the handling to it is not as sharp as I would like. I don't want to say that you are lying about the 90 degree turn but I don't see how that is possible. If you did a 90 degree turn and the car stayed like it was on rails maybe you weren't going really that fast, with AWD, theres always a hint of understeer. The "4 wheel steering" only adjusts 1-2 degrees which will not make a huge difference, just like in a Prelude with 4WS. The suspension is not that hard, body roll is very evident, it feels like in corners that the car is almost floating, it's almost like a vague, numb feeling. Overall, compared to my RS, handling wise it's close, with the RS nudging it out. It doesn't feel "crisp" because of its heft but that's really the only knock against it. Again these are just my perceptions on driving 2 separate VR-4s. But straight away, it blows my RS(obviously because RS = Really Slow) and my other friend's stock 04 WRX out of the water. I almost settled for a used 97 VR-4 with low miles before I got my RS.

Originally posted by ilivas
    more like 1000hp on stock bottom end on a supra, you can also do that with a skyline. a 3000gt is not even in the same class as these cars, as it's modability is no where near that of either of the listed cars.
    ilivas is partially correct here, the VR-4 can be modded out to more HP than the Supra and Skylines actually, but, the VR-4 typically is not pushed to the max - any self-respecting VR-4/R/tTT owner very well knows how very easy it is for them to get to dip into the 10's with just a few mods... Dynamic Racing DR-650 turbos (refer www.dynamicracing.com) a few supporting mods (forged internals) FMIC, 20+psi, lighten the car a bit and you're easily dipping into mid-high 10's

I've never seen a streetable 3si in the 7's or 8's.
    Mods

Like I said, a VR4 with the same exact mods the "Walser" Supra Clint owns, would put out around 1100 hp, not 850.

They have are VERY easy to get to 1600 hp, so you are right, they are not in the same class as a Supra, they are FAR FAR above it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.