Raced a Z28 Camaro - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

This is a discussion on Raced a Z28 Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What is GM doing to replace them? The supercharged monti carlo's? or do they have something else planned?...

  1. #16
    Registered User zapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,307
    What is GM doing to replace them? The supercharged monti carlo's? or do they have something else planned?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

    <=====my old baby

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    uke
    uke is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    832
    Originally posted by zapman
    What is GM doing to replace them? The supercharged monti carlo's? or do they have something else planned?
    Unfortunately, GM's only replacement is the GTO, which is overpriced, overweight, and looks like a cavalier on the outside . It does have an LS1, though.

    The supercharged Monte is only 240 HP, and also heavy.

    I think GM really dropped the ball on the "affordable" sports car segment by getting rid of the Trans-am/Camaro. The only choices for (new) sports cars are either the GTO or Corvette, both of which are expensive. There's also the new GTP's and supercharged Impala's/Monte's, but these aren't really sportcars, more like sports sedans (although they can be made quite fast through mods, see my sig for a "lightly" modded GTP).
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    west chester, pa
    Posts
    73
    Originally posted by uke
    Unfortunately, GM's only replacement is the GTO, which is overpriced, overweight, and looks like a cavalier on the outside
    And don't forget...it has the same published 0-60 time as the family hauler Subaru Forester XT!
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

    2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

    1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

  5. #19
    Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,364
    they made ls1 camaros from 98-03. The LT1s came out in 93 and they had 5.7 350s making 265-285hp. They were good for high 13s, low 14s stock.
    2003 SRT-4

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    memphis, tn
    Posts
    54
    Ive got a buddy with a 98 Z28 auto tranny, and I too beat him to 80mph every time we raced. He still cant believe that my grocery getter is faster to 80mph than his car. He told everyone we work with to watch out for the wagon from hell. His wife, who I met for the first time the other day, said......"Oh, youre the guy with the sports car wagon". Pretty funny! Played a little with a Lightning and a pressumably modded Z28 the other day going to work. I managed to hang with both, and not get embarrased to badly.

    Rhino
    2004 Forester XT
    Black Java Pearl

  7. #21
    Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,364
    Originally posted by rhino738
    Ive got a buddy with a 98 Z28 auto tranny, and I too beat him to 80mph every time we raced. He still cant believe that my grocery getter is faster to 80mph than his car. He told everyone we work with to watch out for the wagon from hell. His wife, who I met for the first time the other day, said......"Oh, youre the guy with the sports car wagon". Pretty funny! Played a little with a Lightning and a pressumably modded Z28 the other day going to work. I managed to hang with both, and not get embarrased to badly.

    Rhino
    yea, you should definitely be able to outlaunch the stock auto ls1. 98's were the slowest years, also. Tell that fool to get a lid, cutout and a stall. Then race again.
    2003 SRT-4

  8. #22
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    yea, you should definitely be able to outlaunch the stock auto ls1. 98's were the slowest years, also. Tell that fool to get a lid, cutout and a stall. Then race again.
    i know the 01-02 had the ls6 intake lid, but why is the 98' slower than 99' 00'?
    i am assuming something with weight
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  9. #23
    Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,364
    Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i know the 01-02 had the ls6 intake lid, but why is the 98' slower than 99' 00'?
    i am assuming something with weight
    They just tend to be slower than the rest...they dont dyno as high either...

    Yea, the pre 01s didnt have the cool ls6 intake and they also had smaller injectors.

    Still, even without these upgrades I managed to make freakish numbers with mine
    2003 SRT-4

  10. #24
    Registered User Dan00Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    759
    98 and 99's had more restrictive exhaust manifolds, and the cats were in a different location. 98's actually had bigger injectors than 99 and 00 cars. I'm not sure if the injectors changed for 01 and 02... The 00's and up got different manifolds that were almost like "shorty headers" from the factory with relocated cats. 01's-02's got the LS6 intake, and a slightly revised cam. Some late 01's and 02's also got the LS6/Z06 blocks from the factory.

    Of course, a 98 or 99 with longtube headers, new LS6 intake, and a different cam won't be any different than an 01 or 02 with the same mods.

    2002 was the last model year. Rumors are floating around for a Camaro reintroduction in 2007 (no words from the Pontiac camp for a Firebird/TransAm/Firehawk), but I'm not holding my breath...


    2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

    Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

  11. #25
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    98 and 99's had more restrictive exhaust manifolds, and the cats were in a different location. 98's actually had bigger injectors than 99 and 00 cars. I'm not sure if the injectors changed for 01 and 02... The 00's and up got different manifolds that were almost like "shorty headers" from the factory with relocated cats. 01's-02's got the LS6 intake, and a slightly revised cam. Some late 01's and 02's also got the LS6/Z06 blocks from the factory.

    Of course, a 98 or 99 with longtube headers, new LS6 intake, and a different cam won't be any different than an 01 or 02 with the same mods.

    2002 was the last model year. Rumors are floating around for a Camaro reintroduction in 2007 (no words from the Pontiac camp for a Firebird/TransAm/Firehawk), but I'm not holding my breath...
    IC...
    thanks to you both
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •