stage 4 vs ls..Help please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on stage 4 vs ls..Help please within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My mods are in my profile. His mods supposedly were an air filter, a chip, tq converter. My car is ...

stage 4 vs ls..Help please

My mods are in my profile.
    His mods supposedly were an air filter, a chip, tq converter.

My car is losing boost right now and I run 21lbs but flaten out to 15 by redline. I made 282whp and 299 tq but my curve is
    sh&&ty.

From a 1st gear roll to 90 I was a 1/2 car off his bumper the whole time. The 2x times we raced it was the same result. I really think my car right now losing boost and all is good for mid 12's w/108 traps. He was on street tires but they looked to be very bald. I have pulled on SS's before. Is something wrong w/my car or was he lying....

His car was an 02 Ls1 Z28 convertable. Any info? I thought they were mid to low 13's w/ traps at 106-108. If so why didnt it even out. He cant have more than 320-340whp and I would think that the weight diff. between his girlfriend in the car and the car overall would make up for it....

I hate Ls1's.....I think he was Bsing me anyways...He had more
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would say he was full of it. I have a friend who has a LS1 SS with a ATI supercharger on it and at the track it could only manage a 13.1 1/4 mile time. The problem was street tires and clutch could not hold that much HP. There was another guy with simular mods with a high performance clutch and drag tires running 12.8 and that is with all motor!

I Support ClubWRX
    LS1's are fast! I'm sure stoplightwarrior will chime in here with regards to how possible this was, but it doesn't sound far fetched to me. Especially with your boost tapering off at high rpm's.....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

My friend has an automatic LS1 T/A with an intake lid and corsa exhaust with no tuning put 307 to the wheels...they make big power, especially with a few bolt ons.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Hey midnight does your boost taper off ? or do you get your whp/whtq straght through. I know tq wont but hp should ....
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

W/those supposed mods how much power could he actually make ? I mean his car weights 3600lbs and he had an extra passenger....It just doesnt make sense.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

First off, there aren't any "chips" available for an LS1. Strictly basic programmers or complete editing of the PCM. If the guy told you himself it was a "chip", I'd question the guy...

The 01 and 02 LS1's are a bit stronger than the 98-00's due mainly to the LS6 intake. If he spent the money on a torque converter, I'd guess that he'd likely have an air lid (in addition to the air filter) as well.

It's not surprising to see 01 and 02's with a 3200 stall torque converter, air lid, and drag radials clicking off mid 12's at 106-107 mph at the track with 1.7ish 60' times. Street tires will make it difficult to repeat that, though.

Also, extra weight doesn't affect a higher horsepower/tq car as much as it does a car like a WRX. The HP/weight ratio doesn't change as much. So his g/f in the car doesn't handicap him as much as you'd expect.

And so what if the guy was BSing you? I don't always have the time or desire to share my entire mod list with some guy at a stoplight. Some LS1's are just faster than others, too. Don't lose any sleep over it.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

You have to be losing some serious power because when I ran one (turboback, uppipe), I stayed even with him until 80, when he started pulling (LS1).

He has to be modded more than that, I think the guy I raced was stock
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

One word: nawZ.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

coulda been anything, and unless you truely find out thru the driver or one of his friends. you will never know. i hate when that happens cause then you question yer own car.

First off, those 02 have more power than say a 98-99 year model. They have the LS6 intake for one thing.

You also mentioned he has a Converter. That will also help him down low.

When I got my 3000 stall on my 99z28 it definately made my car faster. Not just off the line but also down low from a roll. I smoked my buddys LS1 Vette in my 99z28 with just exhaust, intake and converter. This race was from a 1st gear roll. So the converter really does help.

I say take your car to the track and see what it's running. That would answer a lot of your questions. That LS1 may just be faster than others. I can tell you from experience. Some LS1s are much faster than others and thats a fact.
    I've raced LS1s that really were pretty slow.

i think he has a little more than he said. usually, most LS1 owners that have a torque converter will do gears or exhaust first. and if he had a reprogramable ecu then i would assume he would also have an exhaust to go along with the intake filter, and more than likely an intake lid.

there are just too many possibilities, but i def. think he was running more. probably the mods he said, plus exhaust, and full length tube headers.
    that would be good for solid 12's on an auto convt.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by SERacing
    One word: nawZ.
    Please... 13secwrx thinks his car is trapping around 108mph. His post indicates they were about dead even. A moderate 100 shot of N20 on an LS1 will put it's trapspeeds well into the mid teens. However, if it makes you happy and keeps you satisfied to think that NITROUS OXIDE is the only possibility, more power to you in your pleasant little world of false reality.

I agree with SGOSWRX, that 13secwrx needs to get his car to the track to see what it IS running, not what he thinks it's running based off of dyno numbers (although they are good peak dyno #'s ). That's something to consider, also...

This is one of the reasons why spending $20.00 and spending a day at an actual drag strip is worth it. You get to see EXACT times of all the vehicles that are running. And most guys at the drag strip are more open about their mods (street racers doing tuning runs being one of the exceptions). Although the guys that have gone once in their life and happened to see a novice in a Z06 run a 14 second pass will swear that they all run that slow, too... LOL

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i think he has a little more than he said. usually, most LS1 owners that have a torque converter will do gears or exhaust first. and if he had a reprogramable ecu then i would assume he would also have an exhaust to go along with the intake filter, and more than likely an intake lid.

there are just too many possibilities, but i def. think he was running more. probably the mods he said, plus exhaust, and full length tube headers.
    that would be good for solid 12's on an auto convt.
    I'll choose to disagree... Most every LS1 enthusiast with an automatic and high stall torque converter will tell you that gears aren't really worth it. When deciding if one should do gears or a torque converter, 90+% of the informed LS1 world will do the high stall converter. I've been heavily involved in the LS1 world since 1999, and help run the Midwest F-Body Association (ubb.mfba.org) here in Chicago, so I see these things on a more than regular basis. We have a track rental (whole track to ourselves) down at US41 coming up in May, if anyone would like to see 50 or so F-bodies (LT1's and LS1's) running it out.

Also, if 13secwrx was 1/2 car off the LS1's rear bumper the whole way (as he indicated), he would definitely hear if the car had a catback and long tube headers. The sound volume between a stock muffler and a simple flowmaster is evident enough. Full length headers would make it that much more apparent...

Of course, I'm just speculating like the rest of you, so I could indeed be wrong. But my sources and experience are probably more reliable the guy whose cousin's neighbor's secretary's boyfriend has an LS1...

His car was very loud. I only say I trap that high w/out track time simply because of the cars I pull. I've pulled m5's from rolls up to 120 mph, SS's stock to 120mph, E46's to 120 mph. I can only base my times on that. I have lots of respect for that engine/car and I cannot really say much more than that. I dont think he was using nos, I just think that I got my ass whooped and its time for a new bigger turbo !
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast