wrx (cobb stg1) vs s2k - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx (cobb stg1) vs s2k within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Theres no doubt that he pulled me, but by no means did he pull hard. We raced from about 60 ...

Theres no doubt that he pulled me, but by no means did he pull hard. We raced from about 60 to 100mph... and figured that was fast enough. No point in racing to 130 or anything dangerous. I can definitely say that the if we would have gone faster he would have kept walking harder but from the range we raced it was a pretty good match with him having the edge in the higher rpm.

As far as racing from a stop, we've only done it 2 or 3 times and my bro hasn't quite mastered the s2k launch because I kill him every time. Eventually we both want to go to the track and see what times we can get. I don't think the track will be open for drags until late May.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by kit99bar
    i find this hard to believe because s2ks trap around 100mph

a stg1 cobb prob only trap 95ish at best. The s2k should still pull you pretty damn hard.

at stage 2 it'll be about even.

Of course I'd need to race one to find out for sure
    Wrong. With a good driver a stock WRX can pull a 1.8 sec 60 foot and go on to trap at 97. With stage 1 its 10% more power, so 100mph is pretty feasable as well.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Does pulling a lower 60 foot increase your trap. I didn't think this was true.

In fact most stage2s only trap 100. If you can tell me someone who trapped 100mph with only stage1 that'd be cool. =)

Originally posted by keystah
    Wrong. With a good driver a stock WRX can pull a 1.8 sec 60 foot and go on to trap at 97. With stage 1 its 10% more power, so 100mph is pretty feasable as well.
    Last edited by kit99bar; 04-19-2004 at 10:32 PM.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

Does pulling a lower 60 foot increase your trap. I didn't think this was true.

Your right, it just makes for better ETs.

In fact most stage2s only trap 100. If you can tell me someone who trapped 100mph with only stage1 that'd be cool. =)

I looked it up, and you are right about the trap speeds. My bad.
    AVERAGE stage 1 user ($400 reflash only) runs a 13.9 @ 96. Neither the WRX nor the S2K is really a drag car anyway.
    Last edited by keystah; 04-20-2004 at 09:47 AM.

coo, so do you agree with my original assessment?
    A stage 2 wrx and s2k from a roll is what we might be close. a stg1 prob won't have a chance. maybe the s2k was in the wrong gear.

Your right, it just makes for better ETs.

I looked it up, and you are right about the trap speeds. My bad.
    AVERAGE stage 1 user ($400 reflash only) runs a 13.9 @ 96. Neither the WRX nor the S2K is really a drag car anyway.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint

Originally posted by jimi900
    Don't forget that the TXS stage 2 is a lot more that the CObb stage 2.
    I hope you mean price, not performance. Yes, it does cost more. No, it is not slower. I have owned both.
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

get the accessport and they cost the same.

Originally posted by ezatnova
    I hope you mean price, not performance. Yes, it does cost more. No, it is not slower. I have owned both.
    04 WRX Black no options!

Yeah, the WRX stage II vs S2K would be pretty close I'd wager on a roll. Starting from 5mph-60 the WRX would easily have it. From a stop to 80 the wrx would have it. But on 60+ mph rolls it would be real close, the S2k still may win. And I can't rag on the S2k because it handles like a dream. But once again, take it on dirt or snow and the WRX has it again. All while having a good sized trunk and room for 4 adults.

Then again, a WRX is cheaper than an S2K. An STI may be a more fair comparison. And the STI is def. faster.

If you took a WRX ($25,000), Added Cobb Stage II + IC hoses ($2000), added coilovers, 17" wheels and tires ($3000). It would add up the the same price as the s2k, and would hang pretty well. Without losing any of its strengths. However, this is not a valid comparison. Because you could take say a $10,000 used DSM and for $5000 make it whoop all sorts of a$$ too...
    Last edited by keystah; 04-20-2004 at 03:41 PM.

get the accessport and they cost the same.

How do you figure? I just paid $525 for my accessport. The unichip from TXS was $700 and the Utec is $900. You can use the same exhaust for each, so the variable is the engine management cost.
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

AccessPORT is now $595, but that is a far cry from the $995 retail price on the UTEC, not to mention the remote map selector is another $80, when you get that with AccessPort for free. I truely believe with UTEC you would have just a little more power. But I like my cobb just fine. Oh yes, and they would do your ECU for $400 if you mail it into them.

Yeah, the WRX stage II vs S2K would be pretty close I'd wager on a roll. Starting from 5mph-60 the WRX would easily have it. From a stop to 80 the wrx would have it. But on 60+ mph rolls it would be real close, the S2k still may win.
    Well, once I get a downpipe I'll let you all know the outcome to this matchup. Hopefully this time I'll have someone to video tape it.

I wonder if there would be a difference now that your car has had a chance to learn.

Have You Attempted Stumbo's $100 Challenge? Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    This thread delivers.
    QFT

I doubt it... I think some of the fluctuations in boost are gone but overall it doesn't seem much faster, just a little smoother. I wouldn't mind having a rematch... maybe I'll try and convince him

I ran my friends S2k about 4 times the other day, I'm fairly new on launching and still perfecting it (if that is possible). My mods on my car are Helix TBE and an up pipe without cats, hacked silencer, no mbc or engine management yet. My friends S2k is stock except for cai and custom exhaust, I enjoy the S2k but still love my car. On our first run I launched and bogged and stayed in front for about 5 seconds, then next thing you know I was playing catch up all the way till a little past 80, i was a car behind probably.

second run I launched perfectly and hopped off the line like I should, from the launch I had him and he never caught up, probably a little more than a car length ahead.

third run, messed my launch up again and had to play catch up and was destroyed by the monsterous top end of the S2k. Impossible to catch up.

fourth run, launch at about 4500 and it was a perfect one, the S2K was playing catch up the whole way and I had it, the WRX pulled like an evil beast, I love it.

final analysis- I love my car and I think the S2k is a worthy car but in the end I think my friend was a little jealous of me and was upset that he lost to my ride, I still like his car and I think with a experienced driver unlike me who can launch correctly I would take him every time, of course I'm waiting for my AP so I can go Stage 2 but who knows when it will arrive, I ordered in March and I'm probably far down on the list

Nice work. It's all about the launch. Until you hit stage II.

The thing is, the S2000 is pretty well designed. I remember seeing dyno plots from exhausts on the Celica GT-S and most only gained about 3 hp. So if he is lucky he has gained 10 whp from those mods. BUT, BUT at the sacrifice of low to midrange torque. If you are getting closer now by AP you should be able to roll with him from any speed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.