300zx???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 300zx??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I hate to post about this, since I feel like a total n00b asking, but what sort of punch does ...

300zx???

I hate to post about this, since I feel like a total n00b asking, but what sort of punch does a Nissan 300zx pack? I've seen one around with huge twin tip mufflers and gigantic xdrilled rotors/4pot calipers on 17" wheels....I was just wondering if this car actually puts down any serious power.

Thanks in advance,

~Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Some of those puppies have twin turbos and they are fast.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

a 300z "IF" its the twin turbo will peel the paint off a lot of cars... and don't even think about trying it on the highway..... this will be you-----> while its pulling away.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Originally posted by Novtec1
    a 300z "IF" its the twin turbo will peel the paint off a lot of cars... and don't even think about trying it on the highway..... this will be you-----> while its pulling away.

hmm...really? I'm about 285whp....would it be that big of an @$$ raping?

Stock 300ZX TTs trap around 102 in the 1/4 mile...remember its a 14 year old car. with a little over $1000 in mods (intake, exhaust, ECU and boost jets) they put down 330-350 rwhp.

Boost jets are small welding tips, they restrict vacuum pressure to the turbo wastegates. They cause the wastegates to stay closed until a preset 13 or 14 psi is achieved. They usually come with the purchase of an upgraded ECU. To go above 14 psi a boost controller is needed.
    1990 super white 300ZX TT - Stage 6++++ HKS turbo exhaust, JWT ECU, dupree downpipes, Labree high flow cats, greddy SMIC, Blitz SBC spec R boost controller, Nismo 555cc injectors, JWT dual pop charger, RPS flywheel, RPS Max Street Clutch, fisher crank pulley, 1 piece steel driveshaft, Cusco intercooler sprayer, Koyo racing radiator and Nismo Cap, HKS hardpipes, alum lower radiator pipe, Stillen short shifter, TEIN FLEX coilovers and EDFC, ST sway bars, Cusco rear strut bar, dupree spacers, HAWK HPS Pads, Yokohoma AVS Sports, JDM front clip, JDM tailights

2002 WRX

Yeah, its best to stay away from racing 300z TTs. They are simply sweetass cars. The normal stage three that is about 1000 dollars makes 335 hp at the wheels. Also, second gear lasts to about 85 mph, and third gear is when the car is known to really move. Check out Twinturbo.net to see some good stuff

Timdog has a rally car...he can beat anything! hehe my friend has a TT 300ZX. race it from a dig = u win. Race from role will be close if hes lightly modified, if hes heavily modified those things are crazy at the track (1/4). But like you said ur @ 285 whp...which is quite nice if I must say so myself.

I have a mate with a sweet looking TT 300ZX, big pipes hanging out the back and all. He has about 3000 bucks in mods running turbos at about 12-14psi. My WRX is a pretty warm stage 1, putting out nearly 300hp.
    We went for a cruise through sweeping country roads and around some very twisty hillside passes. On the highway, at about 100kph we had a few short sprints and I was suprised to see he didnt pull away at all, in fact, I was pulling on him. Through the kinky stuff, the AWD just mauled the 300ZX. They do put down a sh1tload of power, and they look really hot, but they're often over ten years old, theyre pretty heavy compared to a WRX and if imported from Japan, speed limited to 180kmh.

But all respect to them. They look sweet, and with enough time and money, they can mod to almost supercar status.
    The kind of car I wouldnt be sure of beating in any circumstances.

I'm kind of suprised that with 3000 bucks invested in the Z, he was not able to pull on you at stage 1 with 300 hp, especially on the highway. Is that 300 hp at the wheels or at the crank?

Exhaust - 500
    Intake - 100
    ECU and boost jets - 300
    split flange downpipes - 400
    testpipes - 250
    pulley - 200
    intercoolers - 900
    Boost controller - 300

That is about 3000 in mods, that should give you about 360-380 rwhp. Z's weigh approximately 3500 lbs, but on the freeway, at high speeds, power / weight becomes less important than raw power the car puts out.

One explanation is that I know that the aftermarket for Z's in other countries is not as developed as it is in the United States. Maybe your freind just used the 3000 bucks on the wrong things? For example, any of the major ECUs you can purchase here in the US removes the top speed limiter as well as raises rev limit, and optmizes air / fuel mixture so you can run higher boost than stock.

Anyways you sound like you have a strong running WRX.

I was well suprised too. I thought in a straight line he would have stripped my paint off. It is important to note that his is a 14 year old sports car that has more than likely been driven like a sports car for 14 years.
    My WRX is pushing that 300hp at the crank - with recent dynos showing Im getting about 210-215 to the wheels.

Regarding your list of mods, I doubt he had the chance to fit 3 grands worth at once, which if he had, probably would have seen my untimely (straight line) demise - repeatedly.

His car was a bit sick after our last drive together, but is back on the road now and sounding sweet. We have another run planned for this weekend, where I hope to get a quarter mile in somewhere.
    Should I win, or even come close, I'll be posting loud and proud. Should I get schooled - I'll post anyway, its only fair.

i miss driving the fairlady

i would luv to buy one as my weekend toy
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Well maybe 3000 invested was to fix it. The thing about 300zxs is that they stopped making them about 7 years ago right? Most people who have them mod them, why else have a performance car that old. The other problem is a lot of them may have well over 100k miles on them as well.
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast