WRX VS. Porsche 9?? DOH!

This is a discussion on WRX VS. Porsche 9?? DOH! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night driving home from work, I spotted a black 90's Porsche. I have no idea what year/model the car ...

WRX VS. Porsche 9?? DOH!

Last night driving home from work, I spotted a black 90's Porsche. I have no idea what year/model the car was. It was in excellent condition and driven by a man in his early 50's with his wife. My guess is that it was an NA 6 cylinder. I was approaching my turn which is a double left turn lane with him in the other lane a few cars back. After the left turn the road is 3 lanes and you always have to stop at a light ahead. I was looking for the far right lane which was open, until a minivan decided he wanted the lane at the last minute. Mr. Porsche driver jockeyed his way into the far left lane, and I got behind him. I notice Mr. Porsche driver looking back into his rear view mirror. This changes over to revving! I thought, ok this guy is gonna take off from the light immediately. Light goes green, he walks out very slowly. He's not going and I am stuck at his rear bumper. I shift into 2nd very early thinking he is not going. Just as soon as I do, I see a puff of black smoke and he is at WOT. Just my luck, I am now stuck in 2nd at low RPM's He starts walking slowly away until I hit the top of second where I am gaining. I shoot over to the lane to the right while grabbing for third........then GGGRRRRNNNNDDDD. I MISSED 3RD GEAR! I gave up the chase at this point. I have not missed a gear in over 10 years! I was so mad at myself. The way the race was going I would have been side by side with him at the top of 3rd gear. Down the road, I tried to get beside the guy and tell him that I missed 3rd, but his wife and him would not look over. Unbelievable! I usually shift like a mouse trap..... I'm still getting used to the feel of my WRX.....yeah that's it.
    2004 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to learn the Porsche models, dude! Hehe, well I don't know your mods, but a stock WRX could hang with a Boxster or maybe an early '90s 911 for just a second or two...otherwise they own on the top end. Cool race.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    You need to learn the Porsche models, dude! Hehe, well I don't know your mods, but a stock WRX could hang with a Boxster or maybe an early '90s 911 for just a second or two...otherwise they own on the top end. Cool race.
    Upon further review it looks like the model I was up against was a 1986 or 1987 Porsche 924 or 944. http://www.smg.com.eg/porsche_link/e.../models/80.htm Looking at the stats of the 90's 911 I would have gotten spanked. Hopefully we will meet up again tonight side by side from a stop. Sorry, I don't know my Porsches very well. Just a little out of my price range.
    2004 WRX

Haha! I'm sorry, but that's funny.

The 924 was an absolute DOG that was basically a VW with a Porsche badge on it. I REALLY hope that what you raced was a 944. It wasn't exactly a speed demon either (at least, not the non-turbo version).
    GMH

Originally posted by heffergm

The 924 was an absolute DOG that was basically a VW with a Porsche badge on it. I REALLY hope that what you raced was a 944. It wasn't exactly a speed demon either (at least, not the non-turbo version).
    The 924 was an Audi I thought. I guess Audi and VW were sharing parts back than as well though. I forget if it had more Audi parts or VW parts. In any event, it was a serious peice of crap. The 944 on the other hand, especially the turbo, can be a pretty fast car.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    The regular 944s are pretty slow. The turbo ones (stock) weren't terribly fast, either, but for they're time they were pretty sweet. The 924 = cool car with weak engine.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Actually, the turbo 944s were pretty fast right out of the box.....5.5 0-60 IIRC, which was very fast for 1986.

I did a bit of snooping around on flat-6 for the 924. If was a VW engine and mostly VW and Audi parts, and was built in the VW/Audi plant. They came out with the turbo version that out down some decent numbers, and that one was built by Porsche. There was also an S version that had the 944 powerplant. The first 924 came on in the late 70s (development started in 72) and the last was in 1986. The base model did 0-60 in 11 seconds!!!!! The turbo got that down to a respectable 7 seconds.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by heffergm

This post was meant for your amusement at my expense. So laugh away lol. This car had to be at least a 944 NA.
    2004 WRX

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Actually, the turbo 944s were pretty fast right out of the box.....5.5 0-60 IIRC, which was very fast for 1986.

I did a bit of snooping around on flat-6 for the 924. If was a VW engine and mostly VW and Audi parts, and was built in the VW/Audi plant. They came out with the turbo version that out down some decent numbers, and that one was built by Porsche. There was also an S version that had the 944 powerplant. The first 924 came on in the late 70s (development started in 72) and the last was in 1986. The base model did 0-60 in 11 seconds!!!!! The turbo got that down to a respectable 7 seconds.

-joe
    The 924 had a 2.0 liter in-line 4 that was used in various VAG applications one of which was allegedly a VW Vanagon. It was a dog and not considered a real Porsche at the time for obvious reasons, kinda like the way Boxsters are not considered real Porsches now by many but to an even greater degree.

The 944 however had a 2.5 liter in-line 4 with @160hp, the "S" version had a 16 valve head which upped the max. hp but depleted low & mid range torque so was considered inferior to the original 944. It's only when capacity was increased on the "S" that it became more driveable. The 944 Turbo was a beast in it's day. That's from what I rememebr back in the day.

I've only had 2 experiences with porsche's in the rex. The first was a 944 turbo, the second a late 90's N/A 911. Actually both times were on the exact same on ramp which is super long and both of them starting in front of me.

The guy in the 944 took off trying to leave me and I stuck to his bumper the entire time, then the prick slams on his brakes . I guess he wasn't happy with the outcome.

The 911 was pretty much the same situation / same outcome except no slamming of the brakes.

I was very surprised especially with the 911.